Salt Lake City Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Salt Lake City Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I was really impressed on how I felt the employees would watch out for us, but not suspiciously. -a traveller
"A decent place to rest! Just have to look around a little bit. This set is at A2." (photo by df )
What to Expect
- There are two terminals at the airport, connected by a short walk. Terminal 2 is primarily Delta flights, while Terminal 1 covers most everything else.
- There are several 24 hour concession options airside. Pre-security, only vending machines are available 24 hours.
- There are designated smoking areas, however, the airport plans to shut them down by January 2017.
- Free WiFi is available throughout the airport. See WiFi below.
Where to Sleep
- Since this is a 24-hour airport, you can stay in the secure/airside area at night.
- Airside - There are multiple benches without armrests throughout the airport where travelers can sleep.
Several reviewers mentioned the end of Concourse B as a great place to sleep with “an entire room of good benches.”
- Landside - There are not many places to sleep landside, and the floors are not carpeted.
- The terminal gets cold at night, so make sure you dress warm and have a travel blanket.
- There are no hotels at the airport; however, there are many nearby hotels that provide free airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can find comfort in one of the lounges that are accessible with a day pass or Delta Sky Club membership. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
- The LDS church offers a free layover tour with a shuttle that takes visitors to Temple Square in Salt Lake City. Shuttle departures vary by season, so head to the airport info desk in either terminal for a brochure with up-to-date departure times.
Have you been to Salt Lake City Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Salt Lake City airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Delta Sky Club - Location: Concourse C/D. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$50.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
Free WiFi is available at Salt Lake City Airport. Connect to the "slcairport.wifi" network.
If sleeping in Salt Lake City Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hyatt Place Salt Lake City Airport - (4 min from the airport) Free 24-hr shuttle service to the airport and surrounding area (within 3 mile radius)
- Airport Inn Hotel - (7 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
- Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City Airport - (6 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available from 4:00AM to Midnight.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Salt Lake City Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes, available throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Baby Care - Baby change facilities are located throughout the airport in the ladies and mens washrooms.
- Business Center: Regus Express offers computers with internet connection and other business services. Location: Terminal Two, between Concourse C & D. Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Baggage Carts - available for a rate of $5.00 (the highest rate I have found to date). There is a $0.25 refund for returning the cart.
- Children's Play Areas: Locations: Concourses A, B, and E
- Currency Exchange - Zions Bank offers foreign exchange services. Locations: Terminal 2. Hours: 9:00AM - 5:00PM (Mon - Fri).
- DVD & Movie Rentals - bored and need some entertainment? InMotion Pictures rents portable DVDs players and movies. Location: at the top of Concourse D. The movie drop-off location is on the connector between Concourses B and C. Hours: 7:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update, there were many food concession that operate mostly during flight hours. However, there was a 24-hour McDonalds and some vending machines.
»Terminal 1 Landside: Vending Machines (Lobby)
»Terminal 1 Airside: Vending Machines (Concourse A & B)
»Terminal 2 Landside: Vending Machines (Lobby)
»Terminal 2 Airside: McDonalds (Airside, Upper Level Food Court, between C and D Concourses) • Vending Machines (Concourses C, D & E)
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Mobile Charging - Power outlets are available throughout the terminals and power strips have been installed in the connector between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2.
- Nursing Rooms - With designated restrooms. Locations: Landside in lobbies of both Terminals. Airside in Terminal there is a room in the middle of Concourse B. Terminal 2, rooms are located at the top Concourse C, across from gate C-1, at the top of Concourse D, across from gates D-1 and D-6 and near gate E-60 in the lobby of Concourse E.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Smoking lounges are located on the lower levels of both Concourses A and B, near gates C8 and D1, and in the Concourse E lobby.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning. The TSA security screening checkpoint hours vary according to terminal:
- Terminal 1: 4:30AM - 12:00AM
- Terminal 2: 4:30AM - 1:00AM
- International Terminal: open as required for international flights
From Salt Lake City airport, any one of the shuttle providers will be able to transport you to the Amtrak Station. The ride will take about 10 minutes depending on any additional stops the driver needs to take. The shuttles can be found outside of the baggage claim. Stop at the Ground Transportation desks for information.
Alternatively, you can also take the train. The train leaves the airport every fifteen minutes during weekdays and every 20 on weekends. The train stop is located at the South end of Terminal 1. Take the 704 Green Line towards West Valley Central and exit at Temple Square station. From there, hop on the 701 Blue Line towards Salt Lake Central and exit at Salt Lake Central station where the Amtrak is located. Total travel time is 45 minutes. For more information visit the UTA web site.
UTA public bus stops are located outside of the Welcome Center at the south end of Terminal 1, and outside of Terminal 2 near baggage claim 8. UTA Bus Route 453 stops at the airport on its route between Tooele and downtown Salt Lake City (600 South & State Street). UTA Bus Route 454 travels between Grantsville and downtown Salt Lake City (600 South & State Street), stopping at the airport along the way. Service is limited on weekdays and closed on weekends. For more information, visit the UTA web site.
Advantage, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Fox, Hertz, National and Thrifty are located onsite at the ground floor of the Short Term Parking Garage. There is a courtesy shuttle service to the car rental area.
Several area hotels provide free airport shuttle service. Some of these hotels can be reached using the direct-line phones at the far end of baggage claim of either terminal. Contact your hotel for shuttle service availability and details. Here are some hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Comfort Suites Airport • Courtyard Salt Lake City Airport • DoubleTree by Hilton Salt Lake City Airport • Fairfield Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City Airport • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Airport East • Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Salt Lake City - Airport West • Hyatt Place Salt Lake City Airport • La Quinta Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport • Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City Airport • Radisson Salt Lake City Airport • Springhill Suites Marriott Salt Lake City Airport • Super 8 Salt Lake City/Airport.
Shuttles and Limousines
Several companies provide shuttle service or luxury transportation services from the airport. These services can be arranged through the Ground Transportation Desks located in the baggage claim areas of both terminals. Service providers can also be found outside of Door 7 (Terminal 1) and Door 11 (Terminal 2).
Transportation Network Service
Lyft provides service in the Salt Lake City metropolitan area. Transportation is arranged via mobile app. Designated pickup areas are available in the middle traffic lanes outside of the baggage claim area of both terminals.
TRAX is the light rail system that covers all of Salt Lake City and its suburbs. Passengers can take TRAX Green Line 704, which runs between Airport Station and West Valley TRAX station. The TRAX Airport station can be accessed by a platform that extends south from the east end of Terminal 1. Operating on a schedule, TRAX runs every 15 minutes on the weekdays and every 20 minutes on the weekends. Fares are $2.50 one-way or $6.25 for an unlimited all-day pass (good on TRAX, local bus and streetcar). A TRAX-only roundtrip ticket can be purchased for $5.
Last Updated: 12 May 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.