Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Chiang Rai Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Chiang Rai Airport.
What to Expect
The Mae Fah Luang – Chiang Rai International Airport (code: CEI) serves as the main gateway to Thailand’s northern province of Chiang Rai. The airport currently serves only a few international routes. However, plans are underway to expand the airport to accommodate more shops and facilities, an additional taxiway, and the extension of the runway, with an expected completion date by 2030.
The airport has amenities such as a meditation room, spa services, and several shops and restaurants. Free WiFi helps to pass the time. For more comfort while you wait, economy class travellers can buy a pass and relax in one of the airport’s lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and access information.
Where to To Sleep
As of March 2020, we have no reviews from travellers who have used this airport. For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
The airport shops have a wide selection of local specialty products and souvenirs from Chiang Rai province. Foreign visitors can apply for a VAT refund at the VAT Refund For Tourists counter located in the Departures hall just before security control.
Have you already been to Chiang Rai airport? Write a review and share photos from your own experience.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass . Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes The Coral Executive Lounge – Location: Domestic Terminal 1, Airside, Domestic Departures, near Gates 1 – 2. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s web site.
- Bangkok Airways Blue Ribbon Lounge – Location: Domestic Terminal, Landside.
- Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge – Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside.
If sleeping in Chiang Rai Airport does not appeal to you, there is a hotel near the airport (At Airport Inn). At the time of this update, reviews were not good, so you may wish to look at a list of hotels near the Chiang Rai Airport on Tripadvisor. You can see the average hotel cost for the area and sort the list by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Airport WiFi / Internet
Free WiFi is available at Chiang Rai Airport.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Unknown but 5 machines are available.
- Currency Exchange – Available. Locations: unknown.
- Duty Free & Shopping – It is not known if Duty Free Shopping is available. The airport offers a bookshop, souvenir shops, clothing stores and news/convenience shops.
- Food & Drinks – The airport offers restaurants and cafes. At the time of this update, it is not known if any operate 24 hours.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Information not available.
- Medical Services – Available.
- Meditation Room – Available.
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. IIf you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- Prayer Room – Available.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Showers – Information not available.
- Spa – Sauna and spa services are available. Locations and hours: unknown.
At the time of this update we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. If you know the airport hours, write a review or click here to update this airport guide and we will update this airport guide.
Chiang Rai airport is served by the following airlines: Bangkok Airways • Beijing Capital Airlines • China Eastern Airlines • Hainan Airlines • HK Express • NOK Air • Ruili • Sichuan Air • Thai Air Lion • Thai Air Asia • Thai Viajet Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The airport is connected to the city via the Old Station (Route 1) and the New Station (Route 2).
Taxis are available at the airport. At the time of this update, fare information is not available.
Last updated: 2020-04-17
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.