Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Chiang Rai Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
CEI Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Mae Fah Luang – Chiang Rai International Airport.
What to Expect
Chiang Rai Airport (code: CEI) serves as the main gateway to Thailand’s northern province of Chiang Rai. The airport currently serves only a few international routes. However, plans are underway to expand the airport to accommodate more shops and facilities, an additional taxiway, and the extension of the runway, with an expected completion date by 2030.
The airport has amenities such as a meditation room, spa services, and several shops and restaurants. Free WiFi helps to pass the time. For more comfort while you wait, economy class travellers can buy a pass and relax in one of the airport’s lounges. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Chiang Rai Airport
We do not yet have any sleep-related airport reviews. For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See our Airport Hotels section below for locations or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips.
Good to Know
The airport shops have a wide selection of local specialty products and souvenirs from Chiang Rai province. Foreign visitors can apply for a VAT refund at the VAT Refund For Tourists counter located in the Departures hall just before security control.
Some services and facilities listed in the guide may remain closed or operate with reduced hours. Many airport tips, reviews and suggestions in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Chiang Rai Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
If sleeping in the airport sounds like a nightmare, there is a hotel near Chiang Rai Airport:
- At Airport Inn » Check Rates
Visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels in Chiang Rai, search deals and read traveller reviews.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass . Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
The Coral Executive Lounge – Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, 2nd Floor, near Gate 8. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
The Coral Executive Lounge – Location: International Terminal, Airside, 2nd Floor, near the VAT Refund office. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s web site.
- Bangkok Airways Blue Ribbon Lounge – Location: Domestic Terminal, Landside.
- Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge – Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside.
Related Pages: Chiang Rai Airport Lounges
Airport WiFi / Internet
Free WiFi is available at Chiang Rai Airport.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Unknown but 5 machines are available.
- Currency Exchange – Available. Locations: unknown.
- Duty Free & Shopping – It is not known if Duty Free Shopping is available. The airport offers a bookshop, souvenir shops, clothing stores and news/convenience shops.
- Food & Drinks – The airport offers restaurants and cafes. At the time of this update, it is not known if any operate 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Information not available.
- Medical Services – Available.
- Meditation Room – Available.
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. IIf you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- Prayer Room – Available.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Showers – Information not available.
- SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- Spa – Sauna and spa services are available. Locations and hours: unknown.
At the time of this update we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. If you know the airport hours, write a review or click here to update this airport guide and we will update this airport guide.
Chiang Rai airport is served by the following airlines: Bangkok Airways • Beijing Capital Airlines • China Eastern Airlines • Hainan Airlines • Hong Kong Express • NOK Air • Ruili • Sichuan Air • Thai Air Lion • Thai Air Asia • Thai Viajet Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The airport is connected to the city via the Old Station (Route 1) and the New Station (Route 2).
See also Airport Hotels above.
Taxis are available.
Last updated: 2022-02-17
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.