Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Cologne Bonn Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Sleeping in the Konrad Adenauer Airport of Cologne/Bonn is fine. Especially the older Terminal 1 has excellent benches to sleep on. – Roland
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Cologne Bonn International Airport.
What to Expect
Cologne Bonn Airport is comprised of two terminals joined by a connecting hall. The airport hosts a small selection of shops, cafes and restaurants on both airside and landside, though passengers report that airside Terminal 1 has far more options than Terminal 2. WiFi is available, but some reviewers report that charging areas are difficult to find. For a more comfortable layover, economy class passengers can get paid access to one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
Numerous travellers mention a sleeping hide-away opposite the 24-hour market in Terminal 1 as the best place in the airport to sleep. It reportedly has comfortable leather sofas and is relatively quiet. Both terminals also have armrest-free metal benches located in various spots, should the leather sofas be already taken. A reader (June 2018) recommends sleeping in the piano bar opposite the REWE Supermarket (Terminal 1), the lights are turned off until opening time at 5:00AM and the benches made for a comfy sleep. Those seeking uninterrupted sleep can choose from among several nearby airport hotels. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Cologne Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Leonardo Hotel Koln Bonn Airport – (300 meters to the airport) This is the closest hotel to the airport. The hotel is about a 7 minute walk from the terminal or you can use the free shuttle bus, which runs to the airport every 15 mins. For airport pick-up, you can contact the hotel from the courtesy phone at the airport’s information desk. Shuttle picks up at Departure Level C and Arrival Level Terminal 2 Bus Stop 12. » Check Rates
- Airport Hotel by the New Yorker – (2 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle, so if you have heavy bags you can take a taxi for about 6 Euro. » Check Rates
- Art of Comfort Hotel Garni Haus Ingeborg – (4 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle, but hotel will arrange taxi for airport transfers (about 10 Euro each way). » Check Rates
- Akazienhof Hotel & Brauhaus – (3 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Hotel Karsten Garni – (9 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle available from 5:00AM to 10:00PM, upon request. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Cologne Bonn Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Unlimited free WiFi is available throughout the airport. Connect to the “AIRPORT FREE WIFI” network and enter your name on the registration page for access.
- Post Office – Kirschner Poste. Location: T2, landside, D Arrivals Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Bodega (T2, airside, D Departures) • Cafetiero (T2, landside, D Departures) • McDonald’s McCafe (T2, landside, D Departures).
- Supermarket – If you need to pick-up some groceries before heading to your home in Cologne, stop by Rewe City Supermarket with over 440 sq meters of fresh food. Location: T1, Landside, C Departures. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Information Desk – Location: There are two information desks available. Terminal 1, Landside, B/C Departures • Terminal 2, Landside, D Departures. Both open 24 hours.
- Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Cologne and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there are a number of travel agencies with offices at the airport that can probably be of assistance. Air Marin, Airport Reisemarkt, Alltours, bye bye, DB Reisezentrum, DER Touristik, Familystar, Fly Cent, 5 vor Flug, Fun Express Touristic, Holimax, Immerurlaub, L’Tur Tourismus, Maxholiday, My Travel Company, Neckermann/Bucher Last Minute, Reisebüro Orange, Reiseland Köln-Bonn, Schauinsland Reisen, SonnenklarTV, SunExpress, Suntimes, Thomas Cook and TUI
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – A left luggage facility is available in the airport. Location: T2, railway level Hours: 6:00AM – 11:00PM.
- Medical Services – Comprehensive and emergency medical and dental services are available in the airport. Location: T1, landside, A/B Departures Hours: 8:00AM – 4:00PM daily (medical clinic) 8:00AM – 6:00PM Mon-Fri and 8:00AM – 4:00PM Sat,Sun (dental clinic).
- Pharmacy – Location: T1, landside, C Departures Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Mobile Charging – A reader (September 2018) tells us that after a long search the only outlets found were located Airside by Gate C61, while another reader (January 2019) found some in the McDonalds in Terminal 2 (landside).
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs, operated by Sparkasse Köln Bonn and Reisebank, are available 24 hours a day. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: T1, landside, B Departures (foreign currency is available) • T1, landside, C Departures (2 banks offer services here) • T2, landside, D Departures • T2, landside, D Arrivals.
- Currency Exchange – Reisebank offers foreign currency exchange. Location: T1, landside, B Departures Hours: 7:00AM – 8:00PM. A foreign currency ATM is available 24 hours a day.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Heinemann Duty Free shops are available airside in T1 (B Departures and Starwalk) and T2 (D Departures). The T1 duty-free shops are open according to flight schedule, while the T2 duty-free shops are open from 5:30AM – 8:30PM. A variety of retail shops are also available, mostly landside.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Massage – Sore muscles? Head to T1 Starwalk (airside) for a massage. Hours: 9:00AM – 7:00PM (Mon – Fri) and 12:00PM – 7:00PM (Sat and Sun).
- Showers – Not available.
Things to do & see
- Airport Tours – Find out what happens at the airport during a behind-the-scenes airport tour for groups of 10 people or more. Reservation is required. . Days: . Departure Time: 10:00AM, 11:45AM, 1:30PM, and 3:15PM. Tour Duration: 90 minutes. Rates: 5.40€ for adults, 3.30€ for students and senior citizens. Night tours are also available on request. Rate: 13€ per person.
- Casino – A game room is available from 6:00AM – 1:00AM. Location: T2, D Arrivals.
- Observation Deck – Relax and watch planes taking off and landing from the vantage point of the airport’s Visitors’ Terrace! Location: T1 at “Stern C”. The Visitors’ Terrace can also be reached by elevator near Staircase 4. Hours: 5:00AM – 1:00AM. Rate: free of charge.
The airport is open 24 hours.
The following airlines offer passengers the possibility of checking in the evening before departure. Contact the airlines directly. This is the latest information we have:
|Air Berlin||6:00PM – 8:00PM||T2 / D|
|Condor||6:00PM – 8:00PM||T2 / D|
|Lufthansa||6:00PM – 8:30PM||T1 / C|
|Sun Express & Sun Express Germany||6:00PM – 9:00PM||T2 / D|
|TUIfly||6:00PM – 8:00PM||T2 / D|
As of March 2018, Cologne Bonn airport is served by the following airlines: Eurowings • TUIFly • Lufthansa • Condor • Norwegian • Air Arabia • Austrian Air • Blue Air • Flybe • Iran Air • Nesma Airlines • Onur Air • Pegasus Airlines • Pobeda • Ryanair • Sun Express • TAP Portugal • Turkish Airlines • Wizz Air.
Local bus 161 links the airport to Porz Markt in Cologne city center, where connections are available to other local bus lines, as well as the Metro. Airport Express Bus SB60 runs a daily, direct route between the airport and Bonn Hauptbahnhof (central railway station), with departures available every 30 minutes on weekdays, and every 30 – 60 minutes on weekends and public holidays. For route maps, schedules and fare information for Bus SB60 and other Bonn public transportation, visit the SWB Bus und Bahn website.
In addition to the buses listed above, Cologne is served by long-distances buses, for more information, visit the Cologne Bonn Airport website.
The following car rental agencies are located in T2, Level 0, “D” Arrivals: Avis/Budget, Buchbinder/Global, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt.
If you plan to use public transportation during your visit to Cologne, consider buying the KölnCard. KölnCard includes unlimited rides on the public transportation network in Cologne, as well as 50% off on area attractions, restaurants and shops. For one person, a 24-hour card is € 9 and a 48-hour card is € 18. Parties of up to 5 people traveling together can buy a group card for € 19 (24-hour card) or € 38 (48-hour card). KölnCards are sold at the Cologne Tourist Board Service Centre, in many hotels and hostels, at DB ticket machines in areas where the card can be used, some travel and tour agencies and at KundenCenters and KVB service centers. For further information, visit the Köln Tourismus website.
Taxis are available on a 24-hour basis. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. The following estimated one-way fares were current at the time of this January 2018 update: to/from Cologne city center € 27 and to/from Bonn city center € 40. Both locations are about 15 minutes from the airport, in normal traffic conditions.
Cologne/Bonn Airport Station is accessible from T2 at basement level, and attached to the T1/ ”C” check-in area. This station is served hourly by ICE intercity trains, with connections to international trains available at Cologne central railway station. S-Bahn line S13 and regional express train RE8 connect the airport to the central train stations in Cologne and Bonn. For routes, schedules, fares and ticket sales, visit the Deutsche Bahn website.
Last updated: 2018-10-29
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.