Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Kunming Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
We were told that overnight, the terminal is cleared and then closed after the last flights, re-opening at 5AM. – Lee
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Kunming Changshui International Airport.
What to Expect
- A spacious and modern single-terminal international airport with a small variety of shopping and dining options.
- Restrooms are clean and easy to find, but often lack soap for handwashing, so bring your own soap or hand sanitizer!
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Plenty of power outlets for mobile charging, if you use two-prong round or flat plugs. Some three-prong power outlets for Australian plugs are also available.
Where to Sleep
- Large, comfortable couches can be found on Level 1F at Starbucks and a Chinese cafe. The Meet Fresh cafe has a few padded and unpadded armrest-free seats.
- International Baggage Claim has chairs with no armrests. An airport announcement (In English) encourage travellers to head to B3 to find some rest areas. (AriesXin, May 2018).
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Kunming Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sleep Pods – According to an April 2018 review, there are sleep pods at the airport. Location: one level up from Arrivals. Unfortunately, we do not have any additional details, but as soon as we do, we will update the information here.
- Tian Rui Hotel – (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Yinghe Hotel – (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Kunming Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Kunming Airport.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
Children’s Area – Two play areas can be found in the terminal building • Commercial area of the Domestic Departure Hall • International Departure Hall on F2 at the front center area.
Currency Exchange – There are at least 2 foreign exchange offices located at the airport • Travelex China (International Arrival exit at east side of the Greeting Guest Hall on B1) • Bohai Transforex (Commercial area at the International Departure Hall on F2).
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free as well as many other retail options are available.
Food & Drinks – Many options available. At the moment, we do not know which (if any) concessions are open 24 hours.
Information Desk – There are 15 desk located throughout the airport. Hours: unknown.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – The luggage storage service is available at the air crew and employees aisle at the west side of the Departure Hall on F3, and Domestic Exit at the west side of the Greeting Guest Hall on Base 1. Hours and rates are not known.
Luggage Wrapping – Available. Departure Hall on F3 in the terminal building (Left side of Exit 1 • Right side of Exit 4 • Check-in Counter A • Check-in Counter K). Hours and rates are not known.
Medical Clinic – There are 3 clinics in the terminal building providing medical treatment for passengers • West side of the security inspection area in the Domestic Departure Hall on F3 • Boarding Exit 30 at the arrival alleyway on F2 at east airside concourse Y • The administrative area on F2. Hours: unknown.
Post Office – Location: Commercial Zone. Hours: unknown.
Rest Zones – There are 4 hourly lounges providing shower, rest, and other services. One reader let us know about a “rest zone” in the International Terminal on B3 floor. The area has a number of high back chairs that don’t appear to recline so “resting” may be challenging. Locations: International Departure Hall • Domestic Departure Hall on F2.
Showers – Showers are available in the hourly lounges. [ see Rest Zones above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of February 2018, Kunming airport is served by the following airlines: Kunming Airlines • China Eastern • Hainan Airlines • Xiamen Airlines • Air China • Cathay Pacific • Korean Air • China Southern • Sichuan Airlines • Capital Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Several bus routes connect to the airport, with different stops per route In general, each route has departures every 30 minutes. Some routes start earlier and run later than others, so check the website. It’s unclear whether these buses are free or paid.
Last updated: 2018-10-29
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.