Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Kunming Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
We were told that overnight, the terminal is cleared and then closed after the last flights, re-opening at 5AM. – Lee
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Kunming Changshui International Airport.
What to Expect
- A spacious and modern single-terminal international airport with a small variety of shopping and dining options.
- Restrooms are clean and easy to find, but often lack soap for handwashing, so bring your own soap or hand sanitizer!
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Plenty of power outlets for mobile charging, if you use two-prong round or flat plugs. Some three-prong power outlets for Australian plugs are also available.
Where to Sleep
- Large, comfortable couches can be found on Level 1F at Starbucks and a Chinese cafe. The Meet Fresh cafe has a few padded and unpadded armrest-free seats.
- International Baggage Claim has chairs with no armrests. An airport announcement (In English) encourage travellers to head to B3 to find some rest areas. (AriesXin, May 2018).
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are sleep pods inside the airport and hotels nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Lucky Air VIP Lounge – Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, 1st Floor. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
- Golden Century Lounge (Gate 28) – Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, 3rd Floor, Gate 28. [ more lounge info ]
- Golden Century Lounge (Gate 2) – Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, 2nd Floor, Gate 2. [ more lounge info ]
[ update ]
Airport Hotels & Sleep Pods
If sleeping in Kunming Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Mini Sleeping Cabin – There are sleep pods inside the airport. Location: one level up from Arrivals. As of November 2018, the rates were: 88 yuan for two hours (6:00AM – 11:00PM) • 130 yuan (8:00AM – 6:00PM) • 180 yuan (12:00AM – 6:00AM) • 200 yuan (9:00PM – 6:00AM) • 260 yuan (12:00PM – 12:00PM).
- Hangli Hotel – (1km from the airport) Airport transportation is not available. » Check Rates
- Huangting Hotel Kunming Changshui Airport – (2km from the airport) Free airport transportation is available. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Kunming Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
[ update ]
Free WiFi is available at Kunming Airport.
[ update ]
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys (2 sizes) are available at the airport.
Business Center – Need something printed or need to send an email? The Airport Business Center can assist with these tasks and more. Location: Domestic Terminal, 3rd Floor, next to Security Checkpoint No. 1.
Changing Rooms – Rooms are available with mirrors and space to change clothes when necessary. Location: International Terminal, Arrivals, near Baggage Carousels No. 1 and No. 15.
Children’s Area – Two play areas can be found in the terminal building • Commercial area of the Domestic Departure Hall • International Departure Hall on F2 at the front center area.
Currency Exchange – There are 2 foreign exchange offices located at the airport. Locations: Level 2F, next to Duty Free shop • International Arrivals Area, Level B1, East Side.
Drinking Water – Thirsty? There are water dispensers throughout the airport which supply cold and hot water as well as disposable paper cups.
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free as well as many other retail options are available.
Family Services – Travelling with small children? The following services are available:
- Nursing lounges are provided which include baby changing facilities and sofas. Locations: Domestic Terminal near Gates No.9 and No. 25 • International Terminal near Gate No. 73.
- Washrooms throughout the airport are equipped with separate rooms equipped with baby changing facilities, sinks and chairs.
- Strollers – The airport supplies airplane themed strollers for passenger use.
Food & Drinks – Many options available. At the moment, we do not know which (if any) concessions are open 24 hours. Vending machines with cold and hot beverages are also available.
Information Desk – Whether you are arriving or departing from the Domestic or International Terminal, there are information desks to assist you. Hours vary by location with most open from at least 6:00AM – last departure.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – The luggage storage service is available at the air crew and employees aisle at the west side of the Departure Hall on F3 (Hours: 5:00AM – 12:00AM), and Domestic Exit at the west side of the Greeting Guest Hall on Base 1 (Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM). Rates are not known.
Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic. Locations: Between Terminal 3F and Gate 2 of Terminal Building (Hours: 5:00AM – 10:00PM) • Terminal 3F between 3rd and 4th doors (Hours: 5:00AM – 11:15PM).
Medical Clinic – There are 3 clinics in the terminal building providing medical treatment for passengers • West side of the security inspection area in the Domestic Departure Hall on F3 • Boarding Exit 30 at the arrival alleyway on F2 at east airside concourse Y • The administrative area on F2. Hours: unknown.
Mobile Charging – Mobile charging stations are available at the airport.
Rest Zones – There are 4 hourly lounges providing shower, rest, and other services. One reader let us know about a “rest zone” in the International Terminal on B3 floor. The area has a number of high back chairs that don’t appear to recline so “resting” may be challenging. Locations: International Departure Hall • Domestic Departure Hall on F2.
Pro-Tip: In November 2018, a reader sent us this: “The chairs are WeChat operated massage chairs & there are blankets handed out around 1 am. It’s a pretty huge area — over 100 chairs — but filled up by midnight. “
Showers – Showers are available in the hourly lounges. [ see Rest Zones above ]
Smoking – Look for one of many designated smoking rooms throughout the airport. Rooms are equipped with lighters and ventilation systems.
[ update ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
[ update ]
As of December 2018, Kunming airport is served by the following airlines: Air Asia • Air China • Beijing Capital Airlines • Busan Air • Cathay Pacific • Chengdu Airlines • China Eastern • China Express • China Southern • Chongqing Airlines • Donghai • Fuzhou Airlines • Hainan Airlines • Hebei Airlines • Hongtu Airlines •JC International • Juneyao Airlines • Korean Air • Kunming Airlines • Lao Airlines • Laterite Airlines • Loong Air • Lucky Air • Malindo Air • Northern Airlines • Okay Airways • Orenburg Airways • Qingdao Airlines • Ruili Airlines • Shandong Airlines • Shanghai Airlines • Shenzhen Airlines • Sichuan Airlines • SilkAir • Spring • Thai AirAsia • Thai Airways • Tianjin Airways • Tibet Airlines • Uni Air • Western Airlines • Xiamen Airlines.
[ update ]
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Bus 919 stops at the airport and offers multiple different routes to surrounding areas. As of this May 2019 update, the bus fare is CYN 13. Each route has departures every 30 minutes. Some routes start earlier and run later than others, so check ahead. It’s unclear whether these buses are free or paid.
The airport offers an express bus shuttle with multiple routes going to surrounding destinations. At the time of this May 2019 update, the express bus tickets cost CYN 25, with most buses departing as early as 8:00AM in intervals of 20 – 30 minutes.
The following car rental agencies have offices located in the airport’s arrival hall: Shanghai Yihao Car Rental Co. • Shenzhou Car Rental Co.
The airport is connected to a Metro Station from which you are able to travel to the city.
Taxis are available outside the airport. The pickup location is outside Gate 3, Level B1.
[ update ]
Last updated: 2019-05-08
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.