Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Ürümqi Diwopa Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what to expect during your time at Ürümqi Diwopu Airport.
What to Expect
- There are two terminals for commercial passenger flights, T2, and the brand new T3 which opened in 2009. T3 houses all China Southern Airlines flights.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
- Economy class travellers can pay to access one of three airport lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- The airport closes at night and it is not possible to stay overnight. For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport, though only one provides airport shuttle service. See our Airport Hotel section below for more info.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- First Class Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Domestic Departures, Airside, 2nd Floor. Domestic flights only. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
- Guest Lounge – Location: Terminal 2, Domestic Departures, Landside. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
- First Class Lounge – Location: Terminal 3, International Departures, Airside, Area D. International flights only. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s web site.
Hainan Airlines Lounge (Location: Terminal 2, Airside ) • Hainan Airlines Lounge (Location: Terminal 2, Airside ) • China Southern Sky Pearl VIP Club (Location: Terminal 3, Area A, Airside, Domestic Gate 32) • China Southern Sky Pearl VIP Club (Location: Terminal 3, Area A, Airside, Domestic Gate 40) • China Southern Sky Pearl VIP Club (Location: Terminal 3, Domestic Departures, Area C, Airside) • China Southern Sky Pearl VIP Club (Location: Terminal 3, International Departures, Area D, Airside)
If sleeping in Ürümqi Diwopu Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Tianyuan Hotel – (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport pick-up. » Check Rates
- Airport Hotel – (10 minutes from the airport) According to reviews, a free roundtrip shuttle is available, look for the bus with the hotel name on it. No further details are avalable. » Check Rates
- Super 8 Hotel Urumqi Airport Jichang Bei Qu – (15 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Ürümqi Diwopu Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
WiFi is available at Ürümqi Airport inside the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ].
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
Baby Care Facilities – Infant nursing rooms are available airside in both terminals.
Changing Rooms – Both terminals offer mens and womens changing rooms in the arrivals area, Terminal 2 has two locations.
Duty Free & Shopping – Yes.
Food & Drinks – Restaurants are available both landside and airside in both Terminals. Choices of restaurants is limited. Hours: unknown.
Information Desk – An information desk is available in Terminal 2 and 3 (look for the baggage inquiry office).
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Yes available. Both terminals offer luggage storage in the arrivals area. Hours and rates are not known.
Luggage Wrapping – Available in Terminal 2, departures. We do not currently have information about availability in Terminal 3.
Medical Services – First Aid rooms are available. Locations: unknown.
Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
According to a review sent to us in March 2017, the airport closes at night and it is not possible to stay overnight. Exact airport hours are not known.
As of March 2018, Ürümqi Diwopu airport is served by the following airlines: China Southern Airlines • Hainan Airlines • Air China • China Eastern Airlines • Aeroflot • S7 Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Airport bus service connects the airport to Urumqi South Railway Station, stopping at several points along the way. Buses pick up outside of the Arrivals halls of Terminals 2 and 3. At the time of this January 2018 update, bus fare is ¥15 one way.
Bus 27 runs between Terminal 3 and Wang Jia Liang, while Bus 51 also departs from Terminal 3, heading to and from ShiQi Hu. Both buses run as frequently as every 3 – 5 minutes. At the time of this January 2018 update, bus fare is between ¥1 – ¥1.5 one way. You can catch a bus under the approach bridge between Terminal 2 and the Terminal 3 parking lot.
Metered taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.