Accra Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Accra Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The airport is possibly the cleanest building in Accra.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Kotoka International Airport.
What to Expect
- A busy mid-size international airport with two terminals (Terminals 1 and 2) and a third terminal (Terminal 3) currently under construction. Terminal 3 is expected to be completed by the end of summer 2017. A decent variety of shopping and dining options are available, but at the time of this update, none are open 24 hours.
- Lines for check-in and security can be long, so get to the airport early to allow yourself time to get through.
- Lots of power outlets airside for charging your mobile devices
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Announcements eventually stop at night, but the airport may still be noisy from the airport staff. Have a pair of earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy!
- There are a few hard benches available. Your other choice is the cold, hard tile floor. Have a travel mat or sleeping bag handy for added comfort!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Accra Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Accra airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Adinkra Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside. Hours: 5:30AM - 11:30PM.
- Akwaaba Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, near Gate 1. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Sanbra Duty Free & Priority Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Mezzanine Level beside the Departure Gates. Showers are available ($). Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Buy a lounge pass (£20.00 - 24 hour advance purchase is required)
WiFi is available at Kotoka Airport for a fee. Service vouchers can be purchased from the Dufry shop, Mutinna and La Tante.
If sleeping at the Accra Airport does not appeal to you, there are a few hotels near the airport:
- Holiday Inn Accra Airport - (3 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available on request.
- Airport View Hotel - (4 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service is available upon request.
- Best Western Premier Accra Airport Hotel - (6 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available 24 hours a day.
- Airport West Hotel - (9 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service is available upon request.
- The African Regent - (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport pick-up available on the hour.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Accra Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Currency Exchange - Currency exchange kiosks are located at International Arrivals, Departures and the Airport Square.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Dufry offers duty-free shopping airside in the Departures concourse from 7:00AM - 11:00PM. Microcell offers duty-free shopping on the Mezzanine level from 6:00AM - 10:00PM. A small variety of shops selling clothing and local goods is available throughout the departures area.
- Entertainment - A gaming room is located in Airport Square. Hours: 8:00AM - 11:00PM.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours in the Departures concourse (1st Floor): Cafè Aleenoo • Cassba • La Tante Royale • Muttina Bacci.
- Information Desk - Customer service desks are available in the following locations: Terminal 1, landside, Check-In area • Terminal 2, landside, Check-In area • Terminal 2, airside, near the Duty-Free shop • Terminal 2, landside, Baggage Claim Hall.
- Luggage Wrapping - Wraprite luggage wrapping service is located landside in the Check-In area. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Medical Care - Urgent and emergency medical care, as well as travel immunizations, are available at the Medical Facility at KIA airport clinic. Location: 500m from the terminal. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Showers - Available in the Sanbra Duty Free & Priority Lounge [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
Cars for Hire
For those wishing for a more private and comfortable mode of transportation, chauffeured cars are available for hire. For more information, published rates, or to hire a car and drive, visit the car hiring booth in Arrivals Hall.
Two types of taxis are available: Metered taxis charge GH¢ 10.00 for the 1st kilometer, and GH¢ 0.10 per additional 100 meters. Public pool taxis are shared taxis with negotiable fares. Settle on a price before starting your journey. Both types of taxis are available for hire from taxi booths in the Arrivals Hall.
Last Updated: 26 July 2017
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning and is subject to change at any time. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please contact us.