Addis Ababa Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Addis Ababa Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
a policeman walked up to us, and positioned himself about one metre away from us, watching us. After about 5 minutes, i asked him whether everything was okay. He told me that of course everything was okay, but his job is to protect the people here at this airport - Papa Whiskey
photo by csaladenes
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport.
What to Expect
- A busy mid-size international airport with two terminals (Terminals 1 and 2).
- Reviewers report an overall uncomfortable experience, including filthy, smelly bathrooms and terminals, uncomfortable seating, chaotic airport processes (check-in, departure gates, etc.), pushy passengers, and treacherous stairways leading to departure gates.
- Security checkpoint lines can be very long and slow. Get to the airport early to give yourself plenty of time to get through security.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- As of August 2016, we have no reviews from travelers who have spent the night in this airport, and according to reviewers of this airport, you may not want to. Write a review to help future travelers.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Addis Ababa Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Cloud Nine Lounge - Location: Airside, Departure Hall. Lounge Access: Cloud Nine Passengers.
- ShebaMiles Lounge - Location: Airside, Departure Hall. Lounge Access: ShebaMiles members with Gold & Silver membership cards.
Free WiFi is available at Addis Ababa Airport. (Information submitted by a reader)
If sleeping in Addis Ababa Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Mam Guest House - (3 min from the airport) Airport shuttle service is available.
- Hotel Lobelia - (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service is available.
- Lucy Guest House - (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service is available.
- Ambassador Hotel Bole - (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service is available.
- Harmony Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle service is available. If you are arriving, pick-up bags and Visa and proceed to the hotel's airport booth. A representative is available 24/7.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Addis Ababa Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Food & Drinks - There is at least one restaurant and coffee shop. Hours: unknown.
The airport is open 24 hours.
There are two types of taxis: NTO’s fleet of Mercedes-Benz taxis (only available in Addis Ababa) and privately-owned blue-and-white taxis. NTO taxis are unmetered, with fares based on destination, and can be prebooked through your hotel for rides back to the airport. Blue-and-white taxis are also unmetered and larger than NTO taxis. They operate similar to buses, providing shared ride service on a fixed route for a low, standardized fare about 10x cheaper than an NTO taxi. Special rides can be negotiated with a blue-and-white taxi.
Last Updated: 07 September 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.