Addis Ababa Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Addis Ababa Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
a policeman walked up to us, and positioned himself about one metre away from us, watching us. After about 5 minutes, i asked him whether everything was okay. He told me that of course everything was okay, but his job is to protect the people here at this airport - Papa Whiskey
photo by csaladenes
January 2015 - The international terminal (Terminal 1) was okay at absolute best. You have to go through security after using the restrooms, which are terribly disgusting. Uncomfortable plastic seats and sometimes your gate is changed at last minute. The staff are kind, though. Terminal 2, which serves domestic and regional flights, is just plain awful. It smells bad, there are insects in the restrooms, and you feel happy when it is time to leave! The whole airport smells, and people will carelessly push ahead of you in line.
Have you been to Addis Ababa Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Cloud Nine Lounge - Location: Airside, Departure Hall. Hours: unknown. Lounge Access: Cloud Nine Passengers.
- ShebaMiles Lounge - Location: Airside, Departure Hall. Hours: unknown, Lounge Access: ShebaMiles members with Gold & Silver membership cards.
Free WiFi is available at Addis Ababa Airport. (Information submitted by a reader)
If sleeping in Addis Ababa Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Mam Guest House - (3 min from the airport) Airport shuttle service is available.
- Hotel Lobelia - (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service is available.
- Lucy Guest House - (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service is available.
- Ambassador Hotel Bole - (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service is available.
- Harmony Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle service is available. If you are arriving, pick-up bags and Visa and proceed to the hotel's airport booth. A representative is available 24/7.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Addis Ababa Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Information not available
- Car Rentals - Information not available
- Children's Play Areas - Information not available
- Currency Exchange - Information not available
- Food & Drinks - There is at least one restaurant and coffee shop. Hours: unknown.
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Information not available
- Showers - Information not available
Information not available. Note: When hours are not available, I recommend that you read a few reviews before deciding to sleep in the airport overnight. And if you know the hours, please let me know and I will update the guide.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
There are two types of taxis: NTO’s fleet of Mercedes-Benz taxis (only available in Addis Ababa) and privately-owned blue-and-white taxis. NTO taxis are unmetered, with fares based on destination, and can be prebooked through your hotel for rides back to the airport. Blue-and-white taxis are also unmetered and larger than NTO taxis. They operate similar to buses, providing shared ride service on a fixed route for a low, standardized fare about 10x cheaper than an NTO taxi. Special rides can be negotiated with a blue-and-white taxi.
Last Updated: 19 November 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.