Dakar Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Dakar Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I was sitting there when a kid came up, sat down, and demanded, "Give me your shoes."
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Léopold Sédar Senghor International Airport.
What to Expect
- A single-terminal international airport with limited (and expensive!) shopping and dining options.
- Entry into the airport terminal is not permitted until 2 hours before your departing flight. You will not be able to check your bags or obtain a boarding pass until then. If you choose, you can wait in the main lobby until then, leaving you exposed to the heat and insects.
- No jet bridges. Buses (mostly standing room only) transport passengers to and from the airplanes.
- Several reviewers warn of stressful and unnerving interactions with airport security.
- Inefficient airport procedures (check-in, baggage claim, etc.) and understaffed Immigration/Customs.
- Speaking of baggage claim, reviewers say there are two baggage carrousels and no announcements as to which one your baggage will arrive on. Keep a sharp eye out for your bags and grab them AS SOON AS YOU SEE THEM. Baggage “porters” will try to grab your bags and then force you to pay them to carry your bags, or even just to get them back.
- Aggressive taxi touts, scam artists, SIM card vendors, pickpockets, beggars, mosquitoes, cockroaches and feral cats are just some of the fun things you’ll find in and around the airport terminal.
- WiFi is available at the airport. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- You won’t find any toilet paper in the restrooms, so bring your own.
Where to Sleep
- As of February 2017, we have no reviews from travellers who have attempted to sleep in this airport. Write a review to help future travellers!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Dakar Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Skylounge - Location: Terminal 1, International Departures, Airside, 2nd Floor. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Salon Teranga - Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (EU 10)
- Salon Prestige - Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (EU 15)
WiFi can be accessed for a fee on your mobile devices via SIM card or 3G USB stick. 3G subscription-free SIM cards and USB sticks are sold and activated at participating shops in the airport.
If sleeping in Dakar Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sargal Hotel - (8 min walk from the airport) This is the closest hotel to the airport. Free airport meet & greet service available which includes an escorted walk to the hotel or they will accompany you in a taxi, taxi is approx, 3,00€ each way. When the hotel is not full they offer day rates, valid until 6:00pm only.
- Hotel du Phare Les Mamelles - (5 min from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged ($).
- Onomo Dakar Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available.
- Airport Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Airport shuttle is available.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Dakar Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Location: Landside, Main Hall.
- Children's Play Areas - not available
- Currency Exchange - Yes
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available in the International duty-free area of the terminal. A wide variety of retail and gift shops are located throughout the airport.
- Food & Drinks -
The airport's web site indicates that fast food is available 24/7.
- Landside: Le Touki Restaurant
- Airside: a bar can be found in the transit area
- Information Desk - Welcome Desk - Location: Landside, Main Hall.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Luggage Wrapping - Two luggage wrapping stations are available landside in the Check-In area. Fee: 1500 FCFA per piece of luggage.
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours. As entry into the airport terminal is not permitted until 2 hours before your scheduled flight, sleeping may or may not be permitted in the main lobby.
Dakar Dem Dikk Bus line 8 offers service between the airport and downtown Dakar, with stops along the way. Buses depart every 10 minutes from 6:00AM - 8:30PM, and a ride will cost from 150 - 175 FCFA, depending on your journey.
Several car rental agencies offer service onsite 24 hours a day. Contact your service provider of choice for rates and reservations.
Some local hotels offer shuttle service to and from the airport. Contact your hotel of choice for availability and details.
Yellow fixed-rate taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport, 24 hours a day. Rates are prominently displayed in the Arrivals hall of the airport, and at the time of this update, a one-way ride between the airport and city center costs about € 7.50. Rides to the outskirts of Dakar must be negotiated prior to start of the journey.
Last Updated: 02 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.