Zanzibar Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Zanzibar Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Food and shopping options are extremely limited, as are most other services. Small, relatively clean - d
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Zanzibar International Airport.
What to Expect
- Zanzibar Airport is made up of two terminals: Terminal 1 (old, currently in use) and Terminal 2 (new, under construction).
- There is a queue to get inside the terminal. Some staff are said to offer to take travellers to the front of the queue in exchange for money.
- Facilities, food and shopping opportunities are said to be limited.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi below.
Where to Sleep
- We currently have no reviews from travellers who actually attempted to sleep in Zanzibar Airport.
- There are no hotels at the airport. However, there are nearby hotels that provide an airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Zanzibar Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Zanzibar airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Dhow Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, International Departures, Airside. Hours: Open 24 Hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£20.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Paradise Arrival Business Lounge - Location: Airside, Ground Floor. Hours: open 24 Hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£20.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
If sleeping in Zanzibar Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Zanzibar Ocean View Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Transfer service is available to/from the airport and seaport upon request (via email) for $10.00 USD each way.
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Zanzibar Mbweni Ruin - (5 min from the airport) Airport shuttle service is available upon request, $20.00 USD each way.
- Zanzibar Beach Resort - (5 min from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged upon request, $10.00 USD for 3 people maximum each way.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Zanzibar Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
WiFi is available at Zanzibar Airport inside the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Food & Drinks - There is a cafe/restaurant.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Information not available.
Last Updated: 27 November 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.