In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Colombo Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I concur with the other reviewers--turn left and walk to the end of the terminal--there is a small 24-hour convenience store with regular (not airport!) prices AND that's where the chairs without armrests are. - Herodotus
I was a bit worried when I read older reports here but was pleasently surprised that I could spend quite a good night here.
First of all you must head for the (cushioned) chairs without armrests. The only ones I found are on the groundfloor of the departure hall at the extreme left of the building when entering, next to a small 'Food City'-supermarket (24 hrs. open, nice and cheap). There are 2 power outlets, toilets are close, rather clean but usually quite crowded.
2 restaurants (24 hrs.) accessible only by elevator, the first one, rather canteen-like is at level M right after exiting the lift. The 2nd one is on level 1 but you have to walk through the entire building to access it, nicer atmosphere there, with rice&curry equally priced (200RS) as in the canteen.
As for sleeping: the announcements are somewhat noisy (never forget your earplugs and eyemask with airports) but not very frequent at night. Security is around but didn't bother me or other sleepers like me.
Overall, it is an option if you have an early morning flight but you should have experienced it before - so far KLIA (Kuala Lumpur) was my best experience, btw. I was well rested and pitied my fellow passengers who were trying to get some sleep on the plane after probably getting up at 3am or so to do the 1 hour busride from Colombo whereas I could sleep till 5h30 :)
Have you been to Colombo Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Colombo airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Lotus Lounge - Location: Departures Terminal, Airside, 1st Floor, adjacent to Gates 6 and 7. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Silk Route Lounge - Location: Airside. Lounge Access: economy class travellers can pay to use the lounge. Rate: unknown.
- Araliya Lounge - for business class passengers
- Executive Lounge - Location: Airside. Lounge Access: economy class travellers can pay to use this lounge. Rate: US$ 15/10 rupees for a 3 hour stay
Internet kiosks are available at the Colombo Airport for a fee.
If sleeping in Colombo Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Serendiva Transit Hotel - located on the 2nd level, above the main pier of the Arrival / Departure area.
- Airport City Hotel Katunayaka - (9 min walk from the airport) Airport shuttle available for a fee.
- Airport City Hub Hotel - (6 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle available
- Empyrean Hotel - (3 min from the airport) Free airport transportation available
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Colombo Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Cash machines are available in the arrivals and departures halls.
- Car Rentals - Information not available
- Child Care Rooms - Lcocations: Airside.
- Currency Exchange -There are 7 banks (landside) and 1 bank (airside) that offer foreign exchange services.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update it was not known if there are any 24 hour food concessions.
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Information not available
- Medical Services - Location: Arrivals Hall, Baggage Area. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Post Office - Location: Arrivals Hall. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Shopping & Duty Free - Locations: Arrivals, Departures and Transit Areas.
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
- Car Rentals - unknown
- Public Transportation - Inter-city buses depart from a nearby bus station, which is accessible by free airport-shuttle.
- Taxis - Available near the Arrivals Lobby. Passengers are advised to arrive at the airport with pre-booked taxi/transportation reservations.
Airport Transportation: Getting Around
A shuttle bus departs every 15 minutes from the airport terminal to the airport bus station located 500m from the terminal. From there, passengers can board inter-city buses. See above.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Colombo Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Colombo Travel Resources
- Tripadvisor - search Colombo hotel deals, check availability and read traveller reviews.
Last Updated: 09 April 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.