In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Colombo Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I concur with the other reviewers--turn left and walk to the end of the terminal--there is a small 24-hour convenience store with regular (not airport!) prices AND that's where the chairs without armrests are. - Herodotus
I was a bit worried when I read older reports here but was pleasently surprised that I could spend quite a good night here.
First of all you must head for the (cushioned) chairs without armrests. The only ones I found are on the groundfloor of the departure hall at the extreme left of the building when entering, next to a small 'Food City'-supermarket (24 hrs. open, nice and cheap). There are 2 power outlets, toilets are close, rather clean but usually quite crowded.
2 restaurants (24 hrs.) accessible only by elevator, the first one, rather canteen-like is at level M right after exiting the lift. The 2nd one is on level 1 but you have to walk through the entire building to access it, nicer atmosphere there, with rice&curry equally priced (200RS) as in the canteen.
As for sleeping: the announcements are somewhat noisy (never forget your earplugs and eyemask with airports) but not very frequent at night. Security is around but didn't bother me or other sleepers like me.
Overall, it is an option if you have an early morning flight but you should have experienced it before - so far KLIA (Kuala Lumpur) was my best experience, btw. I was well rested and pitied my fellow passengers who were trying to get some sleep on the plane after probably getting up at 3am or so to do the 1 hour busride from Colombo whereas I could sleep till 5h30 :)
Have you been to Colombo Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Silk Route Lounge - Location: Airside. Lounge Access: economy class travellers can pay to use the lounge. Rate: unknown.
- Lotus Lounge - Location: Departures Terminal, Airside, 1st Floor, adjacent to Gates 6 and 7. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Araliya Lounge - for business class passengers
- Executive Lounge - Location: Airside. Lounge Access: economy class travellers can pay to use this lounge. Rate: US$ 15/10 rupees for a 3 hour stay
Internet kiosks are available at the Colombo Airport for a fee.
If sleeping in the Colombo Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Serendiva Transit Hotel - located on the 2nd level, above the main pier of the Arrival / Departure area.
- Gateway Airport Garden Hotel (3.5km)
- Ramada Katunayake (7km) an airport shuttle is available (for a fee)
- Jetwing Beach Hotel (12km)
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Colombo Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Cash machines are available in the arrivals and departures halls.
- Car Rentals - Information not available
- Currency Exchange -There are 7 banks (landside) and 1 bank (airside) that offer foreign exchange services.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update it was not known if there are any 24 hour food concessions.
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Information not available
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours. Do you know the security checkpoint hours? email me at email@example.com
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
- Car Rentals - unknown
- Public Transportation - Inter-city buses depart from a nearby bus station, which is accessible by free airport-shuttle.
- Taxis - Available near the Arrivals Lobby. Passengers are advised to arrive at the airport with pre-booked taxi/transportation reservations.
Airport Transportation: Getting Around
A shuttle bus departs every 15 minutes from the airport terminal to the airport bus station located 500m from the terminal. From there, passengers can board inter-city buses. See above.
If you have questions about this airport that are not answered here or in the airport reviews, post a question on our Facebook Page. If you post a question, remember to mention the airport or nobody will understand what you are asking about.
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Colombo Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2014 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2014.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Colombo Travel Resources
- Colombo Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 02 June 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.