Colombo Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Colombo Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I concur with the other reviewers--turn left and walk to the end of the terminal--there is a small 24-hour convenience store with regular (not airport!) prices AND that's where the chairs without armrests are. - Herodotus
May 2015 - My friend and I were initially worried about staying over in the airport as this was our first time and we were both females. However, the stay turned out great! We stayed from 9pm to around 6am the next day. There were lots of people sleeping at the landside area, in addition there were toilets, water filling facilities nearby. Occasionally there were announcements made over the PA system but the background sounds can be ignored pretty easily :) There is also a supermarket nearby where you can get snacks to tide over the night
Have you been to Colombo Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Colombo airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Lotus Lounge - Location: Departures Terminal, Airside, 1st Floor, adjacent to Gates 6 and 7. Hours: Open 24 Hours. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Silk Route Lounge - Location: Airside. Lounge Access: economy class travellers can pay to use the lounge. Rate: unknown.
- Araliya Lounge - for business class passengers
- Executive Lounge - Location: Airside. Lounge Access: economy class travellers can pay to use this lounge. Rate: US$ 15/10 rupees for a 3 hour stay
Internet kiosks are available at the Colombo Airport for a fee.
If sleeping in Colombo Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Serendiva Transit Hotel - located on the 2nd level, above the main pier of the Arrival / Departure area.
- Airport City Hotel Katunayaka - (9 min walk from the airport) Airport shuttle available for a fee.
- Airport City Hub Hotel - (6 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle available
- Empyrean Hotel - (3 min from the airport) Free airport transportation available
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Colombo Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Cash machines are available in the arrivals and departures halls.
- Child Care Rooms - Lcocations: Airside.
- Currency Exchange -There are 7 banks (landside) and 1 bank (airside) that offer foreign exchange services.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update it was not known if there are any 24 hour food concessions.
- Medical Services - Location: Arrivals Hall, Baggage Area. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Post Office - Location: Arrivals Hall. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Shopping & Duty Free - Locations: Arrivals, Departures and Transit Areas.
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
Public bus 187-E3 is operated by Sri Lanka Transport Board, and runs from the airport’s car park to Colombo bus station (total trip time: 1 hour). At the time of this update, the bus fare is LKR 110. Beware of scammers attempting to charge baggage fees for the bus. There are no additional baggage fees for this bus service.
Inter-Terminal Airport Shuttle
A shuttle bus departs every 15 minutes from the airport terminal to the airport bus station located 500m from the terminal. From there, passengers can board inter-city buses. See above.
Mini Van Taxi
These multi-seater taxis are not cheaper than air-conditioned taxis, but they are useful to those who are traveling in small groups. The minivan taxi counter can be found in the Arrivals Hall. This service is primarily used by locals, so foreign passport holders may be denied service.
The Airport Taxi Service operates a fleet of over 600 vehicles. The taxi counter is located in the Arrivals Hall of the airport. Passengers can opt for non air-conditioned taxi service or pay a higher fare for a ride in an air-conditioned taxi.
Last Updated: 07 January 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.