Kathmandu Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Kathmandu Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Kudos go to the night shift security guys who brought us the one and only rug from first class check-in and a blue tarp to cover the dust because they couldn't believe two women were willing to sleep on the floor at the airport in the middle of the night. - a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Kathmandu Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport is made up of two terminals: domestic and international.
- This is a chaotic airport, with lines/queues for nearly everything and a lot more security checks than most travellers are used to.
- Many travellers report airport staff asking for handouts or gifts, or locals offering their help with luggage trolleys, though the trolley are free.
- The airport is small with very few facilities; restrooms are rarely clean.
- There are two passenger terminals, one domestic and one international. The domestic terminal has more of a bus-station vibe.
Where to Sleep
- We do not have any reviews from travellers who slept in this airport. Sleeping in this airport is not recommended.
- Several hotels are located nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travellers can buy a pass to an airport lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Kathmandu Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Kathmandu airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Executive Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Landside, 2nd Floor. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (Rs 450 per hour) • Book Online (£22).
At the time of this update, the airport's web site states that "Internet Services" are available. We are not sure how extensive this service extends throughout the terminals. WiFi is available inside the lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
If sleeping in Kathmandu Tribhuvan Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport. The following hotels are located on Ring Road across the street from the airport entrance. However, due to the nature of the location, it can be a long walk, especially with heavy luggage. All hotels listed below provide airport pick up (must be pre-arranged) and can be reached by shuttle in 2 minutes from the airport.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Kathmandu Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Currency Exchange - Yes
- Food & Drinks - A snack shop is available on the ground floor. Hours: Not known.
- Information Desk - A tourist information booth is available on the ground level (English available).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Post Office - Location: International Termninal, Landside, Ground Floor.
- Shopping - One duty free shop in the International Terminal.
- Showers - not available
The airport is closed from 12:30AM - 6:30AM.
Information not available.
Last Updated: 07 January 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.