Kota Kinabalu Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Kota Kinabalu Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
As a foreign passenger sleeping over in the airport I found that I was treated with curiosity rather than being questioned. - Sean26
photo credit: Oscark / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Kota Kinabalu International Airport.
What to Expect
- A spacious and modern international airport with one main passenger terminal. A wide variety of shops, restaurants and services are available.
- Restrooms can be filthy and without toilet paper, so bring your own toilet paper and hand sanitizer!
- Free WiFi is available, but may be unreliable during peak hours in the terminal. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- There are armrest-free seats and benches available on the ground floor, and by the KFC on the upper floor. The upper floor is warmer, but quieter, and the ground floor is cooler, but has more foot traffic.
Have a sleep mask and earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy to block out those bright airport lights and loud overhead announcements!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
- Tanjung Beach, a popular spot with locals, is only a 10-minute walk from Terminal 2. Here you will find budget-friendly, freshly prepared local cuisine and sweets!
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Kota Kinabalu Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Kota Kinabalu airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from MYR128) • Book Online (£23.00 - up to 3 hours or £35 - up to 6 hours - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: 6:30AM - 1:00AM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from MYR128) • Book Online (£23.00 - up to 3 hours or £35 - up to 6 hours - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Free WiFi is available at Kota Kinabalu Airport.
If sleeping in Kota Kinabalu Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Megah D'aru Hotel - (3 min from International Terminal 2) Free airport transfers are available upon request, a minimum of 24 hours notice is required.
- The Crown Borneo Hotel - (5 min to the Air Asia Terminal and 10 min to International Terminal 1) Free roundtrip airport shuttle upon request. Note - if you arrive between 11:00PM and 5:00AM a surcharge of RM30 each way is applied.
- C’haya Airport Hotel - (5 min to International Terminal 2) Free airport shuttle bus is available. Reservations are required. Note - between the hours of 12:00AM and 6:00AM a surcharge of RM15.00 applies each way.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Kota Kinabalu Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available on Levels 1 and 3, near the currency exchange kiosks.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Maybank and CIMB have currency exchange kiosks on Level 1 (Arrivals Hall). Maybank has an additional kiosk on Level 3.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available to passengers arriving in on an international flight. A limited variety of shops are available landside in the Departures hall.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: McDonald’s
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - There is a left luggage facility at the airport. Rates are RM5 per bag for the initial 3 hours, then RM2 per bag per hour after, or RM15 for a storage time of 12 - 24 hours. Oversized items are RM30 per day. Lockers are also available for RM5 per 2-hour period. Luggage strapping and wrapping services are available for RM6 - 8. Location: Landside, Level 3, opposite the entrance to the Departures Hall and around the corner from the seafood shop. The seafood shop offers luggage storage when the left luggage facility is closed. Hours: 7:30AM - 8:00PM
- Medical Services - Level 1 in the hallway under the escalator that leads up to McDonalds.
- Showers - Showers are available in the Plaza Premium Lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
Information not available.
Last Updated: 20 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.