La Paz Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our La Paz Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Benches aren't very comfortable and there are only a few dining options. It's a small airport so be sure to bring your own entertainment. - chocital
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at La Paz Airport.
What to Expect
- A small single-terminal international airport with clean facilities and limited variety of shops and dining options.
- This is the world’s highest international airport, so altitude sickness is no joke here. Talk to your doctor and take the necessary precautions to stay healthy!
- A new terminal opened in mid-2016.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the Airport Guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Sleeping areas are limited to the floor or the airport’s hard benches, and the airport can be freezing cold, especially at night. Have a sleeping bag or travel blanket handy for added comfort and warmth.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are sleep pods in the public area of the terminal and hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s comfortable VIP lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our La Paz Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- VIP Lounge - Location: Airside, International Gates, next to Gate 2. Hours: 1:30AM - 7:00PM (Daily).
Free WiFi is available at La Paz Airport. Connect to “SSID LPZ” Network. In August 2015, a reader let us know that the WiFi is not accessible landside.
If sleeping in El Alto International Airport does not appeal to you, it is best to head back to La Paz city center, as there are no hotels near the airport. Here are some La Paz hotel options based on Tripadvisor reviews:
- Sleepbox Onkel Inn - Sleep cabins and lounges located inside the airport. Convenient, but online reviews suggest that you need to keep your expectations very low. Rates from $36.90 (dorm) and $44.00 (single) and $72.00 (twin). Located: Landside
- Hotel Cordillera Real - (20 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged directly through the hotel, approx. US$15.00 each way.
- Hotel Rosario La Paz - (35 minutes from the airport) 24-hr airport pick-up service is available for $17 (1-2 people), $25 (3 people), or for 4+ people, two taxis are sent at $17 per taxi.
- Stannum Boutique Hotel & Spa - (35 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged directly through the hotel ($).
To see more options there is a list of hotels near La Paz Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Location: Landside, Main Hall, Ground Floor.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Location: International Arrivals area, Door 1. Hours: 9:00AM - 6:00PM (daily).
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available, along with a small variety of souvenir shops.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. There are 4 restaurants/coffee shops, Coffee Exquisito is open 5:30AM - 11:00PM.
- Information Desk - There is an information desk in the main hall as well there are tourist information desks (Domestic and International Departures) that may be of assistance.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Yes available. Location: Main Hall. Rates are not known. Hours: Not known but storage is available for hours or days at a time.
- Medical Services - Yes, available in International Arrivals Area. Hours: 24 hour a day.
- Mobile Charging - Location: Airside
- Pharmacy - Yes, International Arrivals Area (next to the medical clinic).
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours. Airside is open according to the flight schedule.
Information not available.
Last Updated: 22 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.