Alta Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Alta Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
the solitary bemused security guard was happy to lock up and let us sleep there, as long as we didn't go near the news stand and cafe which had a motion sensor. -Niall
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Alta Airport.
What to Expect
- A small international airport with clean facilities and minimal shopping and dining options.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Overnight stays are not permitted at this airport, but sleeping travelers are allowed to sleep outside of the airport if necessary. There is a grassy area outside, or you can sleep in the taxi shelter just outside of the airport. The taxi shelter is a small cabin with a roof and an automatic heater that has to be switched on manually every hour if needed. The benches inside are very narrow and uncomfortable, so you may be better off sleeping on the ground. Either way, have a travel mat or sleeping bag handy for added comfort.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Alta Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use airport lounges at the time of this update.
Free WiFi is available at Alta airport for two hours. Connect to the "Airport" network and select "“FREE WI-FI”. You will need to register your email address.
If sleeping in Alta Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Baarstua Guesthouse - (5 min from the airport) No airport shuttle
- Scandic Hotel Alta - (7 min from the airport) No airport shuttle. The hotel suggests a taxi for 150-200 NOK each way.
- Thon Hotel Alta - (8 min from the airport) No airport shuttle. The hotel suggests a taxi for 200 NOK each way.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Alta Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
This airport is very basic. There is a cafeteria and some food kiosks.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes, available.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Food & Drinks - Cafeteria
- Tax Refund - If you live outside Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Finland, you can get a tax refund (13 percent of the purchase price for food purchases, and 20 percent on other purchases) on purchases from affiliated stores in Norway. Ask shop staff for the form (when spending more than 315 NOK), bring your completed Tax Free Form and ID to a refund point at the airport. There are approximately 4,000 Global Blue or Tax Free Worldwide affiliated stores offering refunds upon departure.
The airport is open 6:00AM - 12:30AM (Mon - Fri) • 6:00AM - 2:30PM (Sat) • 9:00AM - 12:30AM (Sun)
The Airport Express runs between the airport and Alta town center in a 10-minute journey (one way). For schedule and fare information, visit the Boreal Transport website.
Onsite car rental agencies include Alta Bilutleie, Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt.
Taxis are available outside of the Arrivals Hall during airport hours of operation. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required.
Last Updated: 11 December 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.