Bilbao Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Bilbao Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
A man saw me and asked me if I was thinking to sleep there, and informed me that the airport close at night I had to go out. - k1k
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Bilbao Airport.
What to Expect
- A clean and modern three-story single terminal building with lots of natural light and a small variety of shops and restaurants
- Most travelers who choose to spend the night do so to catch an early flight
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Overnight stays are not permitted after the airport terminal closes for the night. Travelers who need to spend the night at the airport can do so in the rental car lobby, located inside the parking garage on Level 0. Restrooms are available there, but the lobby gets very cold so you will need a travel blanket, sleeping bag or at the very least, some warm clothing.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Bilbao Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Bilbao Airport VIP Lounge - Location: Airside, Mezzanine Level, accessible to passengers with Schengen and Non-Schengen flights. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€27.30) • Book Online (£27 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Free unlimited WiFi is available the Bilbao Airport. Connect to the "kubiwireless" network. (SSID: Airport_Free_Wifi_AENA).
If sleeping in airports does not appeal to you there is a hotel near Bilbao Airport:
- Holiday Inn Express Bilbao Airport - (5 minutes from the airport) The free airport shuttle runs every 15 minures during the hours 5:15AM to 11:30PM. The pick-up is on the upper level of the airport (Departures).
- Hotel Loiu - (7 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Bilbao Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are 5 ATMs located in the airport: Departure Hall, Floor 3 (3 machines) • Arrivals Hall, Floor 1 (2 machines).
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Area - Location: Floor 1, Arrivals Hall.
- Duty Free - Duty-free shopping is available airside on Floor 3 (Departures) from 6:00AM - 9:30PM. A limited variety of retail shops and newsstands are available both landside and airside on Floor 3.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Food options include: Arrese• Burger King • MasQMenos • Pans & Company • Restaurante Aeropuerto de Bilbao • Santa Gloria • Starbucks.
- Information Desks - Locations: Floor 1, Baggage Reclaim Hall • Floor 3, Check-In Hall.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available.
- Luggage Wrapping - Safebag luggage wrapping machine is located in the Check-In Hall on Floor 3.
- Police - Location: unknown
- Post Office Box - Location: Floor 3, Landside, Check-in Hall
- Showers - Not available
The airport is open from 5:00AM - 12:00AM.
Bilbao Airport is served by three intercity bus lines. Buses drop passengers at a bus stop on the Departures Level (3rd floor) and pick up passengers from the bus stop on the Arrivals Level (1st floor).
Bizkaibus Line A3247 (Bilbao-Airport) links the airport with Termibús (bus station). Stop include Gran Vía 79, Plaza Moyua and Alameda Recalde 11. Buses depart every 30 minutes from 5:25AM - 9:55PM (from Bilbao) and 6:15AM - 11:15PM (from the airport). A single-ride ticket costs €1.45. For route map, schedule and additional fare information, visit the Bizkaibus website.
Pesa serves the airport with two intercity bus routes. The Airport - Zarautz - San Sebastián bus route offers service between the airport and Plaza de Pío XII in San Sebastián, with a stop in the town of Zarautz (upon demand only). Buses run hourly on weekdays, from 7:45AM - 11:45PM. There is an additional departure available at 6:45AM on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. A single-ride fare is €14.55 (airport-Zarautz) or €16.85 (airport-San Sebastián). The Arrasate - Bergara - Eibar - Airport bus route offers daily service between the airport and Arrasate (Garibay), with stops in Bergara (Ibargaray) and Eibar (Ego-Gain). Buses depart Arrasate at 6:45AM, 9:45AM, 10:45AM, 3:45PM, 7:15PM and 11:15PM, and return to Arrasate on the same route upon reaching the airport. For route maps, schedules and additional fare information, visit the Pesa website.
Onsite car rental agencies include Avis/Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt. Location: Car Park P1.
Taxis are available at the taxi stand located on the 1st floor, just outside of the terminal. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. Fares are slightly higher from 10:00PM - 7:00AM on weekdays, and throughout the day and night on weekends and public holidays. Extra fees apply for trips to/from the airport. The following estimated one-way fares were current at the time of this update: to/from Bilbao €21-26; Pamplona €240-260; San Sebastian €150-165 and Termibús (bus station) €26-32. There is a minimum fare requirement of €5.87 during the day and €6.45 from 10:00PM - 7:00AM on weeknights and on weekends and holidays.
Last Updated: 27 December 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.