Bologna Marconi Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Bologna Marconi Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
the overnight waiting area was restricted to the red chairs opposite check-in desks 1-22. -BRValentine
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Bologna Marconi Airport.
What to Expect
- A clean and modern single-terminal airport with a variety of upscale fashion shops and gourmet restaurants
- Travelers who spend the night here do so to catch an early flight
- Mobile charging stations are readily available airside, but power outlets are hard to find and not well-placed on the landside.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Overall, reviewers describe their overnight experience as quiet, comfy and secure. Airport staff are friendly and accommodating to sleeping passengers.
- After security checkpoints close for the night, all passengers must wait landside until the checkpoints reopen at 4:00AM.
- On the 1st floor near the metal detectors, there are some comfy couches in a partially hidden area across the hall from Victoria’s Secret.
- Above the escalator, across from the Piquadro shop, is a hidden alcove with a few comfy deck chairs.
Have a sleep mask handy to block out those bright airport lights!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- For those traveling to or from the airport via public transit, reviewers suggest taking a city bus, as a cheaper alternative to the overpriced airport express buses. Some city buses stop right in front of the airport.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s comfortable VIP lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Bologna Marconi Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Bologna Marconi airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Marconi Business Lounge - Location: Terminal A, Landside,1st Floor. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€ 26.00) • Book Online (£25.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Free WiFi is available at Bologna Marconi airport for 6 hours. Connect to the "BOLOGNA AIRPORT FREE WI-FI" network. Registration is required.
If sleeping in Bologna Marconi Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- FlyOn Hotel Bologna (formerly Sheraton Bologna Hotel) - (5 min drive from the airport) This is the closest hotel to the airport. The airport is within walking distance, but you may prefer to take the free scheduled shuttle bus to the airport instead. The shuttle runs frequently between 5:00AM - 12:00 PM and service resumes at 9:00PM until approximately 11:00PM.
- Airport B & B - (800 metres from the airport) Free airport pick-ups are available upon request.
- Hotel Brianza - (7 min drive from the airport) Airport shuttle is available upon request for a fee.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Bologna Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are two ATMs at Carisbo Bank on the ground floor.
- Banking - Carisbo Bank offers full-service banking in the airport. Location: Ground Floor, landside, near the terminal entrance. Hours: 8:30AM - 1:00PM (full-service) 2:15PM - 4:55PM (advisory only).
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Travelex has three locations: Arrivals Hall, landside, Ground Floor. Hours: 9:00AM - 10:00PM • Departures, landside, 1st Floor. Hours: 8:30AM - 5:00PM • Departures, airside, near Gate 15. Hours: 5:30AM - 7:00PM.
- Duty Free & Shopping - 2 Duty Free Shops can be found on the 1st Floor, open 4:30AM - until the last flight. A variety of other shops are available on the Ground and 1st Floor including a Carrefour Express Supermarket (Arrivals, 7:00AM - 12:00AM).
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Puro Gusto (Ground floor, landside, near the terminal entrance)
- Kiss & Fly - The airport offers 10 minute free parking on the ground floor in the P1 - P2 Parking Area and the Express Premium Parking.
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - Storage rate is € 6 per bag, per day or € 12 per bag, per day if oversized. Location: opposite the Marconi Business Lounge Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Luggage Wrapping - Two Safe Bag luggage wrapping machines are available. Fee: unknown. Location: Check-In, landside, Ground Floor. Hours: 4:00AM - last departing flight.
- Repack and Go - For those of you who are travelling on airlines with low baggage allowances, head over to "Repack and Go". This self-service area allows you to empty your suitcase, repack only the essentials and check the weight before you check-in. For a few euro, you can purchase a canvas bag to store the items that didn't make the cut and leave it in Luggage Storage until you return. Besides the canvas bag, the automatic machine also dispenses plastic bags for liquids, bags for wrapping strollers and luggage labels. Location: Ground Floor, Check-in Counters.
- Pharmacy - Location: Ground Floor, landside, opposite main entrance. Hours: 5:30AM - 8:00PM.
- Showers - Not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
The following buses serve Bologna Marconi: Aerobus-BLQ (Airport-Railway) runs to/from Bologna Centrale in a 20-minute journey. For schedules and fares, visit the TPER website; Bologna Express offers daily roundtrip service to/from Ascoli Piceno (travel time 4 hours); Shuttle Race offers seasonal service to/from Ravenna and Cervia (travel time 2 hours); Ferrara Bus & Fly offers daily service to/from Ferrara (travel time 1 hour); Appennino Shuttle provides ten daily direct departures to/from Florence (travel time 90 min.); SACA offers service to/from Modena (travel time 50 min.)
Car rental desks are located on the ground floor of the terminal, near the baggage claim area and the Tourist Information Desk. Onsite car rental agencies include Autovia, Avis/Budget, Europcar/Inter Rent, Goldcar, Hertz/Firefly/Dollar/Thrifty, Locauto Rent/Enterprise, Maggiore, Noleggiare, Sicily by Car/AutoEuropa and Sixt.
Taxis are available in the ground transportation area of the airport terminal on a 24-hour basis. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. At the time of this update, estimated one-way fare between the airport and Bologna Centrale (central train station) is € 15,00 - € 18,00 plus any applicable baggage or extra passenger fees. Women are entitled to a discount of € 3 off of their fare if traveling alone by taxi between the hours of 10:00PM - 6:00AM. Called “Taxi Rosa”, this discount voucher program is offered by URP (Public Relations offices) located throughout Bologna and the surrounding area. Contact your nearest URP office for details.
Last Updated: 02 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.