Florence di Firenze Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Florence Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I planted my rucksack at the door way of the main entrance to muster what little warmth I could...and waited for five and a half hours (possibly the longest of my life) until it reopened. -Eva
photo credit: Mattes / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Florence Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, user-friendly single-terminal international airport with clean facilities and very limited shopping and dining options. There’s really not much to do at this airport, and the sole dining options are usually very crowded.
- Inefficient and confusing passport control, only able to process one flight at a time.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Overnight stays are not permitted at this airport.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Florence Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Florence airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Masaccio Lounge - Location: Departures Terminal, Landside, 1st Floor. Hours: 5:30AM - 7:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£25 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Free WiFi is available at Florence Airport in the Masaccio Lounge.
If sleeping in Florence Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Ibis Firenze Nord Aeroporto - (5 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Novotel Firenze Nord Aeroporto - (5 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle available upon request. Outside of shuttle schedule, a taxi costs approx. 20€ each way.
- Hotel Airport - (3 min ride from the airport) No airport shuttle. Hotel suggests a taxi for approx. 10,00€.
- Hilton Garden Inn - (10 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. A taxi costs approx. 15,00€ each way.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Florence Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Best and Fast Change has to 2 outlets for all things currency related. Location: Both Landside and Airside. Hours: unknown
- Duty Free & Shopping - Tuscan and Italian food and delicacies are available for purchase in the Dufry duty-free food market, located landside on the ground floor. Dufry sells high fashion clothing and perfume from its second duty-free store, located airside on the 1st floor. A limited variety of clothing shops and a bookstore are also available in the airport.
- Food & Drinks - Bacchanal Firenze Bar & Restaurant is located landside on the ground floor, and MyChef is located airside on the 1st floor. At the time of this update, 24-hour dining is not available in the airport, but there are some vending machines available airside.
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 4:00AM - 12:00AM.
Volainbus is an economic and convenient way to travel between the airport and city center. Buses depart from in front of the airport terminal daily, every 30 minutes between 5:00AM - 1:00AM, and take about 20 minutes total trip time. Tickets are sold onboard the bus (one-way tickets only), at the Busitalia Sita Nord ticket office (near FFSS Santa Maria Novella), at Giunti’s Bookstore in the airport and at authorized ticket vendors. Adult fare is € 6,00 (one way) or € 10,00 round trip. For schedules and additional route and fare information, visit the Busitalia Nord website.
Car rental services are handled in the Palagio degli Spini, a separate facility linked to the airport by free shuttle bus service. Shuttles depart every 20 minutes from the short-term parking garage, located next to the passenger terminal. Palagio degli Spini houses the following car rental agencies: Auto Europa/Sicily by Car/Dollar/Thrifty, Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Maggiore/National and Sixt. Hours of operation vary between the agencies, but all are open 7 days a week.
Taxis are available in front of the terminal on a 24-hour basis. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. At the time of this update, the following flat rate is available for trips between the airport and downtown Florence (including hotels): € 20,00 daytime rate; € 22,00 holiday rate; € 23,30 night time rate. An additional fee of € 1,00 per piece is charged for luggage. For metered rates traveling to or from the airport, a € 2,00 surcharge is added. Total trip time for a one-way journey between the airport and city center is 15 minutes.
Last Updated: 09 January 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.