Glasgow Prestwick Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Glasgow Prestwick Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I'm surprised Michael Ryan has not put in couches/cots/cubby holes to rent, he tries to screw money out of you every which way he can. -Jeff Geoff
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Glasgow Prestwick Airport.
What to Expect
- This is a small airport with a single terminal.
- After airport restaurants and shops close for the night, vending machines are the only in-airport snack option. Plan ahead and buy your food and drinks before the concessions close.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Several reviewers praised the seating area near the landside Starbucks, which has comfy booths, loveseats, and even a few full size leather couches! Have a travel blanket handy for some extra comfort and warmth.
- Airport security may wake you up early, around 6:00AM, to make sure you don’t have an early flight, but otherwise, you can sleep in until around 9:00AM, when the restaurant opens.
- One reviewer mentioned some noise from the arcade at this spot, so you may want to bring earplugs if you decide to sleep here.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- There is a Spectator’s Gallery where you can watch airplanes land and take-off alongside panoramic views.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Glasgow Prestwick Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
As of this update we were unable to confirm whether the airport has any first class or business lounges. If you know, please email us at email@example.com.
Free WiFi is available at Glasgow Prestwick Airport for two hours. Connect to the "Free Airport WiFi" network. Beyond the 2 hours of free WiFi, you can purchase a package: £3 (1 hour) • £5 (3 hours) • £9 (24 hours).
Internet kiosks can be found next McIntyres (landside) and in the departure lounge (airside). Rate: unknown
If sleeping in Glasgow Prestwick Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Adamton House - (5 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Prestwick Guest House - (1 minute from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Firhill Bed & Breakfast - (15 min walk or 5 min drive from the airport) No airport shuttle. Owner suggests a taxi for £5.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Prestwick Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available: landside and airside.
- Baby Care - Diaper changing facilities are available in these locations: UK Arrivals (landside) • in the unisex restrooms at Check-In (landside) • unisex restroom in the Departure lounge (airside) • International Arrivals Baggage Reclaim (airside) Toilets fitted with toddler toilet seats can be found in the UK Arrivals women’s restroom (landside) and the unisex restroom in the Departure lounge (airside).
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Area - A colorful play area with toys, touchscreen gaming and Xbox Kinect are available in the Play Zone. Location: Airside, Departures lounge.
- Currency Exchange - The Change Group has two counters: landside and airside, both are open according to flight schedules.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Nuance Tax and Duty Free is available at the airport, along with two WHSmith stores. All are open according to flight schedules.
- Food & Drinks - There are no 24 hour food concessions available at this airport.
- Landside: Starbucks • McIntyre's (Hours: closed at 5:30PM (Mon-Fri) and 5:00PM (Sat and Sun))
- Airside: Elvis Presley Bar • The Food Village (Hours: according to flight departure times)
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Landside, Check-in area, next to desk 1. Rate: £5 per item per day. Hours: 4:30AM - last departure.
- Prayer Room - An interfaith prayer and meditation room is available. Location: Landside, on the upper level.
- Showers - not available.
- Smoking - Not permitted inside the terminal, only designated areas outside of the airport.
- Spectator Gallery - Closed until mid-2017 for roof repairs. - Watch the action on the tarmac and runway at the Spectator Gallery. Hours: 9:00AM – 3:00PM daily Rate: Free.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Stagecoach Western Bus X77 offers direct service between the airport and Buchanan Street Bus Station in a 50-minute journey. Buses stop directly outside of the passenger terminal on the A79. Departures are available daily, every 30 - 60 minutes, from 6:25AM - 10:40PM. For routes, timetables and fares, visit the Stagecoach website.
Avis, Budget and Europcar are located onsite in the Arrivals area of the airport terminal.
Metered five, six and seven-seater taxis are available outside of the terminal on a 24-hour basis. Reservations are not required, but if no taxis are waiting outside out the airport, a taxi can be requested using the direct-dial courtesy phone in the Arrivals Hall. Cash, credit and debit cards are accepted by all taxis.
Glasgow Prestwick has its own train station, connected to the terminal by a covered walkway. The airport train station is served by trains traveling to and from Glasgow Central station, with onward service available to Edinburgh. Total trip time between the airport station and Glasgow Central is 50 minutes one way. Hours of operation from the airport: 5:20AM - 11:08PM Monday to Saturday (3 trains per hour) and 8:50AM - 11:07PM on Sundays (2 trains per hour). Hours of operation from Glasgow Central: 6:00AM - 1:15AM Monday to Friday (3 trains per hour); 6:00AM - 11:30PM on Saturdays (3 trains per hour) and 9:00AM - 11:00PM on Sundays (2 trains per hour). All passengers traveling to or from the airport by train are eligible for a 50% discounted on their train ticket. Flight confirmation and photo ID must be presented at the time of purchase. Discounted tickets must be purchased in a ticket office before boarding the train, unless you are boarding from the airport station, as there is no ticket office at the airport station.
Last Updated: 20 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.