Pisa Galileo Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Pisa Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
During night, it is simply not allowed to even sleep near the airport, even outside. They turn on the sprinklers even though it has rained lots during the day, just to keep people away - a traveller
Do not attempt to sleep in this airport overnight! You will be kicked out and they turn on the water sprinkers outside the airport!
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Galileo Galilei International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small single-terminal international airport with a wide variety of shops, restaurants and services.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Overnight stays are not permitted in this airport, and sleeping on airport grounds is prohibited as well. The sprinkler system surprises travellers resting on the lawn at night.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Pisa Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Pisa airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Sala Galilei VIP Lounge - Location: Airside, in the Departures Area, 1st Floor. Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily - winter) • 6:00AM - 22:00PM (Daily - summer). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€ 20.00) • Book Online (£22.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Free WiFi is available at Pisa Airport for 60 minutes. Connect to the "PSA-wifi-FREE" network. Departing passengers using the Galilei VIP Lounge have 4 free hours of access. In addition, internet access and printing facilities are available for a fee at the Devitalia Internet Point. Location: Ground floor, near the Arrivals area exit. Hours: 9:00AM - 6:30PM.
If sleeping in Pisa Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- A Casa Doina Airport - (3 min walk from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- A Casa Doina Airport 2 - (3 min walk from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- La Corte di Stelio B&B - (4 min walk from the airport) No airport shuttle. If arriving after 10:00PM, someone from the hotel will meet you at the airport and walk with you back to the hotel (please pre-arrange).
- Gate 52 B&B - (5 min walk from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Hotel Galilei - (4 min ride from the airport) Shuttle Hours: 4:30AM - 12:30AM. The transfers are provided by a third party operator. Reservations are mandatory. Rates vary according to the number of people, but you should expect to pay approx. €15 (1 person) - €3,50 (5-8 people). Please note: There is also a Hotel Galileo, about 10 minutes further from the airport, so if you take a taxi, don’t get the names confused.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Pisa Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available near the bank on the 1st floor, and near the escalator on the ground floor.
- Baby Care - Baby changing stations are available in restrooms throughout the airport. A Family Room, with restroom and facilities for families, is located near the airport ticket office.
- Banking - Cassa di Risparmio di Pisa Bank is located on the 1st floor. Hours: 8:35AM - 4:30PM Mon-Fri (closed by 1:00PM on some public holidays).
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - A Catholic chapel is available on the 1st floor of the airport. Hours: 7:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Currency Exchange - Forex handles currency exchange, money transfers, cash advances, and more. Three locations: Check-in Hall A, landside (Open from 5:00AM - 8:00PM) • Departures Hall, airside (Open 5:30AM - 7:00PM) • Arrivals Hall exit (Open 9:00AM - 10:30PM).
- Duty Free & Shopping - The Travel Value & Duty Free store is open daily on the ground floor of the Departures area (airside). A variety of retail stores are available landside and airside throughout the terminal.
- Family Room - Includes bathroom and special services for families. Location: In the restroom close to the Pisa Airport Ticket Office.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Food options include: Beautiful Tuscany Wine Bar • Briciole • GranCafe • Gusto • Mastro Bistecca Osteria Toscana-Tuscany Grill • Moka Cafe • Pisa Airport Cafe • PizzaChef Bar • Pizzeria MyChef • Pro.du.co. Cafe • Spicco Bar • Spicco Piadinera • World Gelato Roma
- Hair Salon - Diamond Hair SPA offers hair styling and beauty services. Location: 1st Floor. Hours: 9:00AM - 7:30PM Mon-Sat, and every 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month.
- Information Desk - Located in the Arrivals Area. Hours: 7:00AM - 11:00PM.
- Laundry - Lavand’air offers express laundry service and tailoring service. Location: Check-In Hall B. Hours: 8:45AM - 2:45PM.
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - Left luggage is stored at the Information Desk in the Arrivals Area. Rates: EUR 7.00. Hours: You can leave bags between the hours from 9:00AM - 7:00PM. Pick-up hours are 8:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Medical Services - A First Aid Station is available.
- Pharmacy - Location: Ground floor, Check-in Hall A. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Showers - Not available
The airport is open from 4:00AM until the last arrival/departure flight.
Pisa Airport is connected by bus to the city center and the main Tuscan cities of Firenze, Siena, Lucca and Viareggio. Red LAM line buses depart every 10 minutes, running between the airport and the Field of Miracles/Leaning Tower of Pisa in central Pisa. A one-hour ticket, good for travel on the city network, costs € 1.20 and can be purchased at the Pisa Airport Information Desk or from ticket vending machines at the bus terminal. The bus stop is outside of the Arrivals area. For timetables and route information, go to the CPT website.
Bus services to/from Florence SM Novella station are provided by Terravision or Autostradale. Both companies have information desks outside of the terminal, near the bus parking area.
Bus services to/from Siena are provided by Train Spa or Autostradale.
VAI Bus runs between the airport, Lucca and Viareggio/Pietrasanta, stopping in central Pisa along the way.
Tickets for all listed bus services are sold at the Pisa Airport Information Desk, located in Arrivals.
Pisa Airport has a car rental terminal, which is just a 5-minute walk or short shuttle bus ride from the main airport terminal. The following agencies operate on site at the facility: Avis, Europcar, Firefly, Goldcar, Hertz, Liberty Rentals (chauffeured cars also available), Locauto/Enterprise, Maggiore, Sicily by Car/AutoEuropa and Sixt.
Metered taxis are readily available at the taxi stand outside of the Arrivals Hall exit. At the time of this update, the average fare for a one-way trip between the airport and city center is from € 6.30 - € 10.
Pisa Central Railway Station is located about 1km from the airport. Transfers between the airport and Central Station are provided by PisaMover Bus, which departs every 10 minutes for the 8-minute journey. PisaMover Buses stop close to Platform 14, which is within easy reach of the station’s entrance and other platforms. Hours of operation are from 6:00AM - 12:00AM. A one-way ticket costs € 1.30, and is sold at the Pisa Airport Information Desk, newsstands in Central Station and on board from the driver. Upon completion in December of 2015, a new automated train system, called PisaMover, will transfer passengers between the airport and Central Station. PisaMover will operate 24 hours a day, with departures every 5 - 8 minutes.
Last Updated: 27 November 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.