Rome Ciampino Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Rome Ciampino Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
If you plan on arriving in Ciampino in the middle of the night in order to catch an early morning departure... you've made a big mistake. -a traveller
This airport closes at night (00:30 to 04:30) and it is not possible to sleep inside. Make alternative arrangements.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Rome Ciampino Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport closes from midnight to 4:30 AM. Very recent reports from travellers sound like even the Arrivals Hall on Landside is closed, so if you want to spend the night, make sure to have a backup plan if security won’t let you in.
- A July 2016 review indicates that sleeping outside the terminal is a safe option with two military options watching over 60+ travellers. Bring what you think you need to sleep outside.
- This is a small airport that is easy to navigate. As a low-cost carrier airport, don’t expect much in the way of amenities.
- The facilities are generally clean and simple.
- There is one terminal building.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Very few seats, so grab a seat as soon as you see one. Most travellers sleep on the floor so come prepared with something to stretch out on.
- The airport can be cold and bright, so bring layers and an eye mask
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Rome Ciampino Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
As of this update we were unable to confirm whether the airport has any first class or business lounges. If you know, please email us at email@example.com.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Ciampino Airport. Connect to the "AIRPORT FREE WIFI" network.
If sleeping in Rome Ciampino Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- CiampinoHotel - (5 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers available on request ($).
- Hotel Palacavicchi - (2 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available on request ($)
- Hotel Villa Giulia - (7 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available on request ($).
- Meeting Hotel - (10 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available on request ($).
- Residenza d'Epoca Pietra di Ponente - (12 minutes from the airport) Free transport from and to Ciampino is available. The shuttle service is free from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Rome Ciampino on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available in the Departures area and the General Aviation terminal.
- Baby Care Facilities - Cots and changing tables are available in the baby changing rooms. Three locations: Departures, landside • Departures, airside • Arrivals area. Diaper changing facilities are also available in all restrooms.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Curency Exchange - Exchange your currency at Yex Change!. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Aelia Duty Free is open from 5:00AM - 9:30PM. A variety of retail shops is also available.
- Family Room - In the Departures Area (landside), there is a Family Room with child-size toilets.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update there were no 24-hour food concessions. Chef Express opens at 4:00AM, Landside. Vending machines are available throughout the terminals.
- Information Desk - There is an information booth available near the check-in counters and is open from 5:00AM - 11:00PM. The airport now also provides Airport Helpers, who are identifiable by their special badges.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Not available
- Luggage Wrapping - SecureBag luggage wrapping is available. Location: Departures, landside, near check-in. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Medical Services - Aeroporti di Roma First Aid is open 24 hours a day for urgent and emergency medical care. Location: airside.
- Pharmacy - Sanifarma - Location: Landside. Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Showers - Not available
- Smoking - Smoking is permitted inside the airport in separate smoking lounges.
The airport is open 4:30AM - 12:00AM.
There are daily bus connections between the airport and Roma Termini station. The bus area is located opposite International Departures.
On-site rental car agencies are located at the entrance of the airport on Via Mameli, near Car Park P8. A courtesy shuttle is available to transport passengers between the car rentals area and the Departures Terminal. The following agencies can be found at the airport: Auto Europa - Sicily by Car, Avis, Budget, Europcar, Goldcar Italy, Hertz, Locauto, Maggiore and Sixt.
Taxis are available at the airport exit. For reliability and safety, do not accept transportation from someone who approaches you at the airport with an offer. It is highly recommended to use taxis certified by the City of Rome, which are white in color, have a “TAXI” sign on top of the vehicle and display their license numbers on the doors, back and inside of the vehicle. At the time of this update, these flat rates are available and include baggage fee for up to 4 people:
- Ciampino Airport to/from Aurelian Walls €30
- Ciampino Airport to/from Ostiense Station €30
- Ciampino Airport to/from Tiburtina Station €35
- Ciampino Airport to/from Fiumicino Airport €50
All other destinations are charged according to the meter plus a baggage fee.
Ciampino Città is the nearest railway station to the airport. COTRAL/SCHIAFFINI buses travel between the airport and Ciampino Città, departing every 30 minutes for the five minute trip. Tickets can be purchased on board or at the railway station for €1.
Roma Termini can be reached from Ciampino via light rail train.
Last Updated: 24 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.