Trondheim Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Trondheim Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
we weren't sure whether the airport would be accessible at night, so we asked tourist information to call and ask: officially, the airport would close at midnight. -mooh
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Trondheim Airport.
What to Expect
- A small single-terminal passenger airport with limited shopping and dining options.
- Shops and restaurants close at night. Have some snacks and beverages handy for later if you plan to spend the night.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Although the airport closes at night, overnight stays are permitted. Reviewers report having an uneventful and quiet overnight experience.
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Benches are available on the 1st floor near the check-in counters. This area is fairly quiet until passengers start arriving early in the morning to catch their flights, around 5:00AM.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel adjacent to the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- If you plan to spend the night here, make sure to show up before the terminal closes for the night. Upon closing, all doors are locked, and passengers will not be let in or out.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Trondheim Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
As of this update, there are no airport lounges.
Free WiFi is available at Trondheim Airport for two hours. Connect to the "Airport" network, select "Gratis WiFi", follow the instructions and you will receive a username and password by SMS. After your time limit has expired, you log on again.
If sleeping in Trondheim Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Radisson Blu Hotel Trondheim Airport - Located adjacent to the airport terminal. Day rooms are available.
- Scandic Hell - (5 min walk from the airport) Why not spend the night in Hell? Hell, Norway of course! This hotel is less than 700m from the airport, but there is a free airport shuttle bus that runs between the airport, the hotel, and several points in town.
- Quality Airport Hotel Vaernes - (5 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Trondheim Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are 3 ATMs in the Departures Hall, Terminal A (domestic) • 2 ATMs in the Departures Hall, Terminal B (international) • 1 ATM in the Arrivals Hall, Terminal A. Several different currencies are available.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is available as well as a small selection of shops.
- Food & Drinks - There are no 24-hour food and beverage concessions. For snacks and drinks be sure you do your shopping at 7 Eleven before it closes. Hours: 6:00AM - 12:00AM (Mon - Fri) • 7:00AM - 10:00PM (Sat) • 9:00AM - 12:00AM (Sun)
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: near the baggage belts in Arrivals. Rates: 20 NOK for a small bag every first 24 hours. A large locker (room for 2 suitcases) cost 30 NOK every 24 hours. Key Storage is available at Point Kiosk for 30 NOK.
- Showers - Not available
The airport is open 8:00AM - 10:00PM (Mon - Fri) • 9:00AM - 3:30PM (Sat) • 1:00PM - 10:00PM (Sun)
Flybussen airport buses offer service between the airport and hotels in Trondheim city center, also stopping at St. Olav’s Hospital and Sorgenfri Station. Unibuss Værnes-ekspressen offers service to Værnes and beyond. Åre flygtransfer links the airport with Åre, Sweden. NOR-WAY bussekspress runs between Værnes and Namsos, via Trondheim Airport.
The following car rental agencies are available onsite: Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt. Location: Arrivals Hall.
Taxis are readily available outside of the Arrivals Hall, during airport hours of operation.
Trondheim Airport (stop: Værnes) is linked to the city center via NSB local train line Trondheim-Steinkjer and NSB intercity train line Trondheim - Bodø. Total one-way trip time between the airport and city center is 35 minutes. Service is also available to Åre (Sweden).
Last Updated: 01 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.