Toronto Island Billy Bishop Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Billy Bishop Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
a great airline (porter) made this experience amazing
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport.
What to Expect
- A modern and user-friendly two-floor international airport terminal
- Lots of comfortable seating and power outlets
- Welcoming departure lounge with free snacks and beverages for all passengers
- The airport provides free WiFi and iMac workstations. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- It is not possible to sleep in this airport overnight.
- For the daytime napper, there is a variety of cushioned seating in the Porter Lounge.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that are near the Porter Airlines shuttle pick-up location. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Toronto Billy Bishop Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
The departures area is really just one big lounge. The lounge area has a self-service kitchen where you can help yourself to a complimentary snack or beverage. Additionally, sandwiches, salads, bakery items, and a range of beverage options, including beer and wine, are available to passengers for purchase once they have checked in.
Free WiFi is available at Billy Bishop Airport. If you do not have a wireless device, you can use one of the complimentary iMac equipped workstations.
Since sleeping in the Billy Bishop Airport overnight is not possible, here are some nearby hotels:
- The Fairmont Royal York - (6 minutes from the airport) The free Porter airport shuttle departs from the hotel's west entrance every 15 minutes minutes from 5:00AM to 12:00AM (weekdays), 6:30AM to 8:30PM (Saturdays), and 6:30AM to 12:00AM (Sundays).
- The Strathcona Hotel - (8 minutes from the airport) This hotel does not have its own shuttle, but is a two-minute walk from the west side of the Fairmont Royal York Hotel, which is the location of the free Porter Airport Shuttle pick-up spot. The shuttle departs every 15 minutes for the airport.
- Radisson Hotel Admiral Toronto Harbourfront - (6 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Westin Harbour Castle - (6 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Toronto Billy Bishop Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes. ATMs are located on the departures level and at the front entrance of the mainland ferry terminal.
- Baggage Carts - Free baggage carts are available from the Mainland Pavilion at the entrance of the tunnel.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Near the Check-in counter.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Location: Departures terminal, behind US, Thunder Bay and Sudbury security. Hours: 5:30AM - 9:00PM.
- Food & Drinks - New to the airport, is the Aroma Espresso Bar, open as early as 7:30AM on weekdays (6:30AM on weekends) and the Billy Bishop Bar, open as early as 8:00AM on weekdays. In additional to these dining options, free hot and cold beverages and light snacks are available in all of the airport lounges.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Shopping - not available
- Showers - not available
The terminal is open 5:00AM - 11:00PM.
A free express shuttle service runs every 15 minutes between the mainland ferry terminal and Downtown Toronto. The downtown shuttle stop is located at the northeast corner of York and Front street on York Street. Hours of operation are from 5:00AM - 12:07AM on weekdays, 6:30AM - 8:40PM on Saturdays and 6:30AM - 12:07AM on Sundays. Enhanced nonstop service is available during peak travel hours on weekdays and Sundays. This service is open to anyone going to the airport.
Billy Bishop Airport Pedestrian Tunnel
This 853-ft. tunnel connects Billy Bishop Airport to the mainland, providing an alternative to travel by ferry.
With four moving walkways and one of the longest escalator systems in Canada, this free-entry tunnel allows passengers to reach airport Check-In on foot from the mainland in just 6 minutes. The mainland entrance is located next to the mainland ferry terminal.
Billy Bishop Airport is served by TTC bus lines 511 Bathurst and 509 Harbourfront. For route information, including timetables and fares, visit the TTC website.
Onsite car rental agencies include Hertz, located on the lower level near baggage claim, and Enterprise, located in the Eireann Quay parking lot. Both agencies are open from 7:00AM - 10:30PM on the weekdays, with varied hours of operation on the weekends.
The world’s shortest ferry ride links the mainland to the Billy Bishop Airport. The 90-second ride is free for passengers, but costs $11 per vehicle. Departures are available every 15 minutes from the mainland ferry terminal, starting at 5:15AM from the mainland (5:22AM from the airport). Last ferry to the mainland leaves the airport at 12:07AM.
Metered taxis are readily available on the mainland, at the taxi stand next to the mainland ferry terminal.
Last Updated: 24 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.