Canberra Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Canberra Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Luckily a politician or business man type took pity on me and invited me into the Qantas lounge for a free breakfast. - a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Canberra Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, newly-rebuilt regional airport with two concourses: the Southern Concourse and the newer Western Concourse.
- Shopping and dining options are minimal, but expanding.
- After airport restaurants and shops close for the night, vending machines are the only in-airport snack option. Plan ahead and buy your food and drinks before the concessions close.
Where to Sleep
- We have no reviews from travellers who have slept at this airport
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can find comfort in one of the lounges that are accessible with an airline membership. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Canberra Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Qantas Club - Location: Opposite service desk which is located next to gate 11. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
- Virgin Australia Lounge - Location: Airside, Level 3, Western Concourse Terminal Terminal Circuit. Lounge Access: Virgin Australia Membership.
Free WiFi is available in the Express Pick-Up waiting lounge and in the International Departures lounge.
If sleeping in Canberra Airport does not appeal to you, there are no hotels at the airport. The nearest hotels are:
- Vibe Hotel- Located 50m from the new terminal entrance.
- Ibis Styles Canberra - (8 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Diplomat Hotel - (10 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Best Western Plus Garden City - (10 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Canberra Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Two locations: Arrivals Hall (next to Travelex) • Departures Hall (next to Tuk Chop).
- Baby Care Facilities - Available airside on Departures / Upper Level, next to the restrooms at Gates 5 and 12, or landside on Arrivals / Lower Level, next to the restrooms at Gate B.
- Baggage Trolleys - Available to use for a $2 fee, payable in cash or coins. Upon arrival into Australia from an international flight, baggage trolleys are available to use, free of charge.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Currency exchange, phone cards, money transfers and more are available at Travelex. Location: Departures concourse. Hours: 5:30AM - 6:00PM.
- Duty Free & Shopping - JR/Duty Free offers duty-free shopping in the International terminal departure and arrivals areas. Relay newsstand sells books, magazines, newspapers, SIM cards, and more from locations in the Departures concourse. SIM cards are also available for purchase from Relay vending machines located throughout the International terminal.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with some opening as early as 5:00AM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Food options include: Hudsons Coffee • International Bar & Café • Limestone Café & Bar • Tuk Chop
- Information Desk - There is a customer service office located next to Budget in the baggage claim area that may be able to provide assistance.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Prayer Room - Lower level, across from Gate B.
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 4:30AM until 30 minutes after last flight.
The following car rental agencies are available onsite: Avis, Budget, East Coast Car Rentals, Europcar, Hertz, Redspot and Thrifty. Location: arrivals hall of the terminal, across from the baggage collection belts.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service to their guests either for a fee or as a courtesy. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Aria Hotel Canberra • Clifton Suites on Northbourne.
Airport Express Shuttle offers scheduled service between the airport and city center, with stops at Russell, National Convention Centre and YHA. Tickets are $12 one-way or $20 roundtrip, and can be purchased onboard or at the service center located opposite the bus stop (near the Arrivals Hall exit).
Taxis are readily available from a taxi rank located on the ground floor, just outside of the Arrivals area, within a short walk of the baggage carrousels.
Last Updated: 02 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.