Melbourne Avalon Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Melbourne Avalon Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Sitting by the check in on one of the benches, getting somewhat comfortable, I was told by a member of staff that Avalon Airport would indeed be closing and I would not be able to sleep inside. - lnkybstrd
photo credit: marcus wong / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Melbourne Avalon Airport.
What to Expect
- Avalon airport has a single terminal.
- This is a small airport, but there is a cafe airside and a few vending machines throughout the terminal.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Since the airport is closed at night, sleeping here is a definite “no”.
- If you would like to take a nap during the day, be aware that reviewers report uncomfortable chairs with armrests. You may need to sleep on the floor.
- There are no hotels on airport grounds, but several nearby hotels that are accessible by shuttle bus. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- There are a few internet kiosks, found airside in the Departures hall.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Melbourne Avalon Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no airport lounges available.
If sleeping in Melbourne Avalon Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Corio Bay Motel - (10 min from the airport) Avalon Airport shuttle bus stops at the front door ($).
- Best Western Geelong Motor Inn & Apartments - (18 min from the airport) Avalon Airport shuttle bus stops at the front door ($).
- Quality Hotel Bayside Geelong - (18 min from the airport) Avalon Airport shuttle bus stops at the front door ($).
A shuttle bus operates out of Avalon Airport, with door-to-door service to area hotels, Geelong Gull bus depot, and the surf coast. Tickets can be purchased online or at the counter in the airport terminal.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Avalon Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available in Avalon Airport. Internet access and printing facilities are also available for a small fee at the Everywhere Internet Kiosk, located in Departures. Laptop users can work comfortably, with views of the runway, from the laptop bench seats located along the windows.
- Baby Care Facilities - Changing tables and diaper disposal bins are available in the Baby Change Rooms, located in both Departures and Arrivals areas of the terminal. Strollers are available for use in the airport, free of charge, from the Jetstar check-in area.
- Baggage Trolleys - Available for a $4 fee.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Areas - Kids age 10 and under can burn off steam before a flight in the free Kids Zone play area. Location: Departures lounge.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Newspapers, magazines, snacks, souvenirs and travel goods are sold at the airport gift shop.
- Entertainment - Game machines and TVs with family-friendly programming are available throughout the airport terminal.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Among the food options are a small cafe, a pizzeria, and a “grab and go” food section. Vending machines are located throughout the airport terminal.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Massage Chairs - Location: Departure Lounge.
- Mobile Charging - There are two multi-use phone charging portals available for a fee.
- Showers - not available
Official Airport Comment about Sleeping in the Airport
"Avalon does not currently have the facilities for over-night stays. The airport does not allow people to sleep in the airport."
The airport is open 5:00AM - 12:00AM.
Several companies offer car rental services onsite.
A shuttle bus connects Geelong, Bellarine & the Surfcoast. A private coach connects the airport and Melbourne city center. To pre-book, visit the airport website.
The taxi queue is available just outside the terminal. Approximate fare to Melbourne is $120-130 AUD; Geelong $40-50 AUD.
Last Updated: 27 November 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.