Baltimore Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Baltimore Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a nearby hotel in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I was able to sleep comfortably for 7 hours. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you like to wake up to beautiful sunrises. - luis
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Baltimore-Washington International Airport.
What to Expect
- Five concourses (A, B, C, D and E) accessible from the upper level of the airport terminal. Concourses B and C are connected airside via the B/C Connector walkway.
- The widest variety of shopping and dining options are located in Concourses A and B.
- The airport provides free WiFi for 45 minutes. See WiFi below.
Where to Sleep
- Traveller reviews cite BWI as having some of the best facilities for sleeping in the airport, with quiet little nooks and padded benches located throughout the terminal.
- Concourses D and E were mentioned for having lots of padded benches, narrow couches and quiet areas.
- Concourse C has some armrest-free seats available. Seating with built-in power outlets underneath can be found at Gates C3 and C5.
- The Observation Deck was noted as being a dark place to sleep, but with frequent overhead announcements. Have your earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy!
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
Good to Know
- Security checkpoints close at night. You will not be allowed to wander between landside and airside after hours. Please note: At the time of this update, 24-hour dining options are only available landside.
- There are no hotels directly at the airport. However, there are nearby hotels that provide a free airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels below.
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Baltimore Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Baltimore airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Airspace Lounge - This lounge is available to all passengers regardless of class of service or airline. Location: Airside, Concourse D, near gate D10. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door ($20.00).
- Chesapeake Club Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Upper Level. Hours: 4:00PM - 7:00PM (Daily).
USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge that is free of charge to members of the military and their families. The lounge offers baggage storage, family rooms with toys and cribs, TV lounge, WiFi, video games, toiletries, snacks, sleeping area, computers, child care area, library, and more. According to message we received in July 2016, there were no bathrooms or showers as they are currently remodelling this lounge. Location: Lower Level, International Pier, Beside Baggage Claim 14. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily)
Free WiFi is available at Baltimore Airport for 45 minutes. There is a paid service that lasts longer and does not have a commerical.
Paid premium (commercial-free, greater bandwidth) WiFi is also available. Pro-Tip: Once your free session is over, you can start it again for free after watching another commercial. You can repeat this as many times as you want.
If sleeping in Baltimore Airport does not appeal to you, there is a hotel at the airport and other hotels nearby with free airport shuttles....
- Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport - (5 minute from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available from 4:30AM - 12:30AM.
- Hilton Baltimore BWI Airport - (5 minute from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service also goes to surrounding area (within 3 mile radius).
- Red Roof Plus - (5 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle service to the airport, Amtrak station, and light rail station runs from 4:00AM to 1:00AM (weekdays) and 5:00AM to Midnight (Sat & Sun).
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Baltimore BWI Airport - (5 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hr shuttle service to the airport and light rail station.
- Embassy Suites Baltimore at BWI Airport - (10 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle to the airport and surrounding area (within 3 mile radius). Free cooked-to-order hot breakfast.
- BWI Airport Marriott - (5 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle is available.
- Holiday Inn Baltimore BWI - (4 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle is available.
Courtesy phones are located on the lower level near doors 3, 7, 10, 14 and 17. Most hotels have courtesy shuttle service.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Baltimore Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Active Pursuits - Have time and energy to burn? Try one of these activities:
- BWI Cardio Trail - Keep your heart healthy and your legs limber with a walk on one of two designated American Heart Association walking paths. Each 1K path will lead you on a different loop around the terminal, taking about 20 minutes of walking to complete. The Terminal Loop is a landside loop that starts on the upper level, in the white tiled floor area before the security checkpoints. The Concourse A/B Loop is an airside loop that starts anywhere along Concourses A or B.
- BWI Hiker - Biker Trail - Fresh air and exercise does a body good! You can access the trail near the light rail station, where a spur of the trail meets the airport terminal. Also near the light rail, is a self-service Zagster bike share stand with 10 reservable bikes for rent, at a rate of $5 for up to 12 hours of use.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Baby Care Facilities - Designated nursing areas are available in the foyer entrances of the women’s restrooms on the lower and upper levels of Concourse C. Diaper changing facilities are available in restrooms throughout the airport.
- Banking - M&T Bank offers full-service banking landside near Concourse A.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Area - Your kids can burn off their energy before their flight at a special play area set up near Gate D11.
- Currency Exchange - Travelex has two kiosks located landside in the Main Terminal; one near Concourse C and the other near Concourse E.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available airside in the B/C Connector (Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM) and Concourse E (Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM). In addition, retail shops and newsstands are available throughout landside and airside areas of the terminal.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. Dunkin’ Donuts and Subway are open 24 hours in the Main Terminal, landside, near Concourse C.
- History & Culture - Learn about the interesting life of America’s first African-American Supreme Court judge at the Thurgood Marshall Tribute, located near the Observation Gallery. If you have an appreciation for historical homes, don’t miss the Greek revival-style Benson-Hammond House. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, you can find this house on airport grounds.
- Information Desk - Locations: Upper Ticketing Level, landside, just before Concourse A/B • Upper Ticketing Level, landside, just before Concourse D • Lower Level, landside, Southwest Airlines Baggage Claim 1-5 area • Lower Level of Concourses C and D • International Concourse Arrivals area. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM (Concourse D desk). Hours vary at all other locations.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Meditiation Room - Location: Upper level, between Concourses D and E.
- Mobile Charging - Location: Observation Gallery
- Observation Gallery - Binocular viewers, air and space exhibits, a 28-foot NASA sounding rocket, children’s play area, mobile charging stations, and a youth art gallery are available at the BWI Marshall Observation Gallery. Sky Azure offers bistro fare, beer, wines, and cocktails onsite. The Observation Gallery is open to the public, located on the upper level, just before the B/C security checkpoint. Hours: Open 24 hours. Sky Azure is open from 11:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Pet Relief Areas - Two locations: At the end of Concourse E, lower level, outside Door 19 • In front of the Hourly Garage.
- Showers - not available
- Spa & Salon Services - Manicures, massages, and other express services are available at Be Relax. Three airside locations: Concourse A (Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM) • Concourse C (Hours: 4:00AM - 8:45PM) • Concourse D (Hours: 6:00AM - 8:00PM).
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning. The TSA security screening checkpoint hours vary according to location:
- Concourse A: 4:30AM - 9:30PM
- Concourse B: 4:30AM - 9:30PM
- Concourse C: 4:00AM - 9:30PM (Closes at 7:00PM on Saturdays)
- Concourse D: 3:45AM - 9:15PM
- Concourse E (International): 4:00AM - 9:00PM (Closing time varies due to military departures)
Times are subject to change without notice.
#17 Bus travels between BWI, Parkway Center, Arundel Mills Mall, Airport 100 Park and the Patapsco light rail stop. #99 Bus connects the airport to UMBC, CCBC Catonsville, Bloomsbury & Frederick, Rolling & Security Blvd., Liberty & Milford Mill and the Old Court metro subway station. For fares, schedules and route information, visit the MTA website.
The BWI Express/B30 offers direct service between BWI and the Greenbelt Metro Station, with over 20 departures every day, every 40 minutes during operating hours. Greenbelt Metro Station is located along the Green Line of the Washington Metro system, which serves metro stations in Washington, DC, Virginia, Montgomery and Prince Georges Counties. There are two WMATA bus stops: One is located on the lower level of the International Concourse, and the other is located on the lower level of Concourse A/B. For route map, schedule and fares, visit the WMATA website.
RTA Route 501 regional bus offers service between BWI and Columbia Mall, Broken Land Park & Ride, Snowden Square, MD Food Center, Dorsey MARC Station and Arundel Mills. For timetables, fares and route information, visit the RTA website.
Car rentals are handled in a separate facility close to the airport. The facility is connected to the airport via free shuttle service that departs every 10 minutes from the lower level of the terminal. The following car rental agencies are available onsite: Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, FlightCar, Hertz, National, NextCar, Payless and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. These shuttles pick up in designated areas near Concourse A (Zone 1), Concourse E (Zone 4) and between Concourse D and E (Zone 3). Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Aloft BWI Baltimore Washington International Airport • BWI Airport Marriott • Country Inn & Suites By Carlson BWI Airport • Courtyard Baltimore BWI Airport • Fairfield Inn & Suites Baltimore BWI Airport • Hampton Inn Baltimore - Washington International Airport • Hilton Baltimore BWI Airport • Holiday Inn BWI Airport • Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore-BWI Airport • La Quinta Inn & Suites Baltimore BWI Airport • Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham BWI Airport Baltimore • Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore - Washington DC/BWI Airport • Residence Inn Baltimore BWI Airport • SpringHill Suites Baltimore BWI Airport • TownePlace Suites Baltimore BWI Airport
Shared Ride Shuttles
Bayrunner Shuttle offers shared-ride door-to-door shuttle service between the airport and Maryland’s Eastern and Western shores.
Supreme Airport Shuttle also offers shared-ride, door-to-door shuttle service to and from the airport. Reservations are accepted online, by phone or at the airport service counter.
Metered taxis are readily available at the taxi stand located just outside of Baggage Claim, on the lower level of the terminal. Flat rates are prohibited.
BWI Airport is connected to BWI Airport Rail Station via free shuttle service, which departs every 6 - 8 minutes from 5:00AM - 1:00AM, and every 25 minutes outside of those hours. Shuttle stops are located on the lower level of the terminal between Doors 1 & 2, 8 & 9, 14 & 15, and 17 & 18, and also in front of BWI Airport Rail Station. Connections to MARC and Amtrak train services are available from the rail station.
Amtrak trains head to BWI from Washington, DC (Union Station); Philadelphia (30th St Station); Wilmington, DE; and Alexandria, VA.
MARC trains head to BWI on the “Penn Line” of service, coming in from Washington, DC (Union Station); Baltimore City (Penn Station); Prince Georges County (New Carrollton, Seabrook and Bowie State); Anne Arundel County (Odenton Station); Harford County (Edgewood and Aberdeen); Baltimore County (Martin State Airport Station) and Cecil County (Perryville). For further information on MARC routes, fares and timetables, visit the MTA website.
Light rail service is available between the airport and downtown Baltimore, Timonium and Hunt Valley. One-way fare is $1.60, and the BWI Marshall Light Rail Station is located outside on the lower level of the airport terminal, near Concourse E. Hours of operation are from 5:00AM - 11:00PM (weekdays), 6:00AM - 11:00PM (Sat) and 11:00AM - 7:00PM (Sun & holidays). For timetables, maps and further information, visit the MTA website.
Last Updated: 09 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.