Buffalo Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Buffalo Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
It's a very clean airport and has a decent amount of benches, but on a busy night you should get your bench early before it's taken. The benches are in the main lobby/check-in counters. -Dennisl
photo by Marina Zapatero
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Buffalo Niagara International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, single-terminal international airport with clean facilities and a nice variety of shopping and dining options. The airport branch of the famous Anchor Bar is here!
- Delays and cancellations are largely due to inclement weather, especially in the winter. Some reviewers chose to stay overnight for an early flight out.
- After airport restaurants and shops close for the night, vending machines are the only in-airport snack option. Plan ahead and purchase your food and drinks before the concessions close.
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Padded, armrest-free seating is available throughout the airport
- If you have to sleep landside, armrest-free benches are available in the Baggage Claim and Check-In areas. Be aware that Check-In starts receiving incoming foot traffic at around 4:00AM when the airport opens. A travel blanket or sleeping bag is a MUST if you sleep in the Check-In area, as the automatic entry doors let the cold air in all night.
- Loud cleaning machines and overhead announcements make the airport noisy at night, so have some earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy for a good night’s sleep!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Buffalo Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Free WiFi is available at Buffalo Airport for 45 minutes. Connect to SSID:AWG-WiFi.
Pro-Tip: Once your free session is over, you can start it again for free after watching another commercial. You can repeat this as many times as you want.
If sleeping at the Buffalo Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport with free airport shuttles:
- Aloft Buffalo Airport- (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hr shuttle service to airport and surrounding area (within 5 mile radius).
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Buffalo Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hr shuttle service to airport and surrounding area (within 5 mile radius).
- Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service.
- Hilton Garden Inn - (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service.
- Days Hotel Buffalo Airport - (6 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle available.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Buffalo Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes
- Baggage Carts - Smarte Cartes can be found on the Lower Level in the Baggage Claim. Rate: unknown.
- Barber - Hours: 9:00AM - 5:30PM (Mon-Fri); 10:00AM - 4:00PM (Sat); Sun by appt only. (Landside, Upper Level).
- Children's Play Area - The Fisher-Price Play Gate is located Gate 9.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update, there are no 24 hours restaurants in the airport. However, there are vending machines in the baggage claim area.
- Information Desk - Location: Lower Level, Baggage Claim.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Mobile Charging - Power charge stations are located at Gates 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 18, 22, 23 and 25. If you are in a rush, Rapid Chargers will charge your cell phone or iPod in 15-30 minutes. Locations: Gates 4, 14, 20. Rate: $3 per charge.
- Shoe Shine - Location: Airside, Upper Level, Gate 11. Hours: unknown
- Showers - not available
- Work Stations - If you need a space to work, the airport offers workstations with a desk, chair and outlets can be found at Gates #3, #14 and #20. Rates: Free.
The airport is open 24 hours. However, the security checkpoint is open from 4:00AM - the last flight
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning. .
NFTA Metro Route 204 (Airport - Downtown Express) offers nonstop service between the airport and downtown Buffalo, including the Central Business District and the Metro Bus station in the Metropolitan Transportation Center. Buses run on weekdays, departing every 30 minutes during peak times. Buffalo Airport is also accessed by regular Metro buses: Route 24 Genesee, Route 27 Wende and Route 68 George Urban. For rides to or from Niagara Falls, USA or Canada, take one of the listed buses to the downtown Metro bus station. The airport bus stop is located just before the Arrivals Level entrance at the terminal, near Crosswalk 1b. One-way fare is $2 for regular buses and $2.50 for express buses (Metro Route 204). For route maps, timetables and fares, visit the NFTA website.
Greyhound, Coach Canada, Neon, Mega Bus and Trailways offer transportation from the airport to downtown Buffalo, both sides of Niagara Falls, Toronto and the Adirondacks. Buses stop on Arrivals Level (Crosswalk 1a) past the hotel shuttles. Schedules, route maps and fare information are available at the airport Information Desk.
Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz and National. Look for their desks on Arrivals Level, near Crosswalks 3 or 4.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Aloft Buffalo Airport • Best Western The Inn at Buffalo Airport • Comfort Suites Buffalo • Courtyard Buffalo Airport • Days Hotel Buffalo Airport • Fairfield Inn & Suites Buffalo Airport • Hampton Inn Buffalo-Williamsville • Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Buffalo Airport • Holiday Inn Buffalo International Airport • Holiday Inn Express Buffalo Airport • Homewood Suites by Hilton Buffalo-Airport • Quality Inn Buffalo Airport • Sleep Inn Buffalo Airport • TownePlace Suites Buffalo Airport.
Taxis and Shared Ride Shuttles
Taxis and shared-ride shuttles are available on the Arrivals Level of the terminal, near Crosswalk 3. ITA Airport Taxis offer service to/from Niagara Falls, USA for $70 one-way or Niagara Falls, Canada for $85 one-way. This fare is good for parties of up to 5 passengers, and includes tip. ITA Airport Shuttles offer shared-ride service to Niagara Falls or any hotel within two miles of the falls on either side of the border. You can opt for their scheduled service at $24 per person (US side) or $36 per person (Canadian side), one way (not including tip), or request on-demand service at $50 per person (US side) or $65 per person (Canadian side). Scheduled shuttles depart fifteen minutes past the hour, every hour between 8:15AM - 5:15PM.
Last Updated: 13 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.