Read more about this airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Charlotte Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Charlotte's only saving grace is the garden area by the fountain outside of security - unknown
photo credit: Aspersions / Wikimedia
As a non-rev flyer on US Airways, I have spent many a night at CLT, but not usually by choice. The secure areas close at night (except during periods of mass delays), but the ticketing and baggage claim areas remain open. I usually sleep in baggage claim, either on the floor or on the padded but partitioned seating. On the floor, it is important to have something to use as padding. 100 of the seating, both inside and outside security, has fixed metal arm rests. With practice and experimentation, I have learned how to sleep in them, but it's not optimal (slightly better than sleeping on a plane). A light blanket and earplugs are always required for comfortable sleeping at any airport. On the plus side, no one has ever hassled me in baggage claim, and because the airport is far from the city, it seems quite safe. (No one wandering there who doesn't work there.) Free airport-wide Wifi and adequate power sockets. Plenty of food inside security, but not much outside. During the day, a cheap city bus can take you to Walmart and other shopping/food along the route to downtown. (There are a couple of no-name motels along the bus route as well. Brand-name motels like Motel 6 are little trickier to get to and may involve some walking or a pricey taxi ride.)
Have you been to Charlotte Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Charlotte airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- American Airlines Admiral's Club - Location: Concourse B, Airside, between Gates 3 and 5. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- American Airlines Admiral's Club - Location: Concourse C, Airside, at the intersection of C and D concourses. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge to members of the military and their families. The Charlotte Center offers comfortable chairs, books, magazines, television, child care area, library, and drinks. Internet and phones are available free of charge. Location: Main Atrium, 2nd Floor. Hours: 6am - 10pm.
- Free WiFi is available throughout the airport. Connect to the "CLTNET" network.
- The Business Center offers computer workstation rentals, photocopy, faxing and conferencing services.
Location: in the Atrium
If sleeping in the Charlotte Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport that offer free airport shuttle:
- Hampton Inn and Suites (Shuttle Hours: 24 hours)
- Holiday Inn
- Homewood Suites (Shuttle Hours: 5am - 11pm)
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Charlotte Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Car Rentals - Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National • Thrifty. Location: Lower Level, Baggage Claim Area.
- Chapel - Location: near the Ticketing Area, landside.
- Cots - In the event of bad weather or delays, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. At the moment, we are not sure where you can find them or how you can get your hands on one, but they do exist. If you have any information or photos, please email me.
- Currency Exchange - Information not available
- Food & Drinks -
»Landside: Starbucks (Open 24 hours) • Charlotte Bistro
»Airside: Wendy's • Sbarro • TCBY • Starbucks • Pizza Hut • Burger King • Quizno's • Carolina Beer Co. • Salsarita's and many more dining options
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Rest Zone: Rocking chairs are located in the Atrium (landside) and Concourses D and E (airside)
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Charlotte Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 18 February 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.