Des Moines Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Des Moines Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The flood of 1993 was horrible and displayed the DMIA at its worse.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Des Moines International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small airport with two concourses (A Concourse and C Concourse)
- After airport restaurants and shops close for the night, vending machines are the only in-airport snack option. Plan ahead and purchase your food and drinks before the concessions close.
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Near Frontier Airlines Check-In, there is a padded flat bench big enough for two people to sleep on.
- At the far opposite end of the terminal from car rentals and baggage claim, is a carpeted area that you may find warmer than the uncarpeted areas of the terminal.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel across the street as well as some other hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Des Moines Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use lounges at this time.
Free WiFi is available at Des Moines Airport for 45 minutes. Connect to the Boingo network.
Pro-Tip: Once your free session is over, you can start it again for free after watching another commercial. You can repeat this as many times as you want.
If sleeping in Des Moines Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Holiday Inn Des Moines Airport Conference Center - (2 min from the airport) Located across the street from the airport. Free airport shuttle service available.
- Quality Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport- (2 min from the airport) Located across the street from the airport.
- AmericInn Hotel & Suites Des Moines Airport - (2 min from the airport) Located across the street from the airport. Free airport shuttle service available.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Des Moines Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located both landside and airside in the terminal.
- Business Center - Provides workstations and internet access. Location: Concourse level A2 . Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Cots - In the event of bad weather or massive flight cancellations, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out when the cots are located. Unfortunately, the cots are not available for travellers who simply decide to spend the night in the airport. Due to the amount of wacky email we receive about this, we'll also let you know that cots cannot be "reserved" and we don't know where they are kept. Please speak to a gate agent or an airport employee.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update there were no 24-hour food concessions. There are vending machines located landside and airside.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Massages - Location: Airside, Concourse A.
- Notary - A notary public is available 8:00AM - 5:00PM (Mon-Fri). Inquire with the airport for details and availability.
- Shopping - Iowa college apparel, souvenirs, snacks, newspapers, and more are available at Capitol News & Gift shop in the lobby, and Capitol Marketplace located airside in the concourse.
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours. The TSA security checkpoint is open 4:00AM - 8:00PM.
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
Local bus Route 8 serves Des Moines International Airport. For route maps, schedules and fares, visit the DART website.
The following car rental agencies are located onsite in the baggage claim area: Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Baymont Des Moines - Airport Conference Center • Days Inn and Suites - Des Moines Airport • Des Moines Marriott Downtown • DoubleTree by Hilton Des Moines Airport • Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown • Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport • Hampton Inn Des Moines-Airport • Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center • Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown • Hyatt Place Des Moines Downtown • Quality Inn and Suites • Renaissance Savery Hotel
Taxis and Shuttles
Taxis are available in the ground transportation area of the airport on a 24-hour basis. All taxis are metered and reservations are not required. Executive Express, a local and inter-city shared-ride shuttle service, has a service counter near the rental car counters at the north end of the baggage claim area.
Last Updated: 02 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.