Memphis Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Memphis Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
It has been the best sleeping airport I've been at so far.
- K, I, O
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Memphis International Airport.
What to Expect
- An easy-accessible, user-friendly airport with three concourses (Concourses A, B and C)
- After airport restaurants and shops close for the night, vending machines are the only food option.
- There is a meditation room to gather your thoughts in peace
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Due to overnight cleaning crews and very early morning airplane traffic (MEM is a hub for FedEx), the airport can be very noisy. Have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy if you want to sleep!
- Armrest-free, padded leather seats can be found near the gates.
- One reviewer complained of cold air coming in from the automatic doors while sleeping landside. Have a travel blanket or sweater handy, just in case!
- There are no hotels at the airport. However, there are nearby hotels that provide an airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers flying on Delta Airlines can find comfort in a lounge, which is accessible by purchasing a day pass or Delta Sky Club membership. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Memphis Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Memphis airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Delta Sky Club - Location: Concourse B/C. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$59.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
If sleeping in Memphis Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Best Western Executive Inn - (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Memphis Airport Graceland- (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service also goes to the surrounding attractions upon request (subject to availability).
Courtesy phones are located in the Baggage Claim Area. For the Hotel Shuttle Buses exit the terminal from the Baggage Claim area and look for the overhead signs.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Memphis Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Memphis Airport through Boingo.
- Art in the Airport - Pieces from the Belz Museum Asian & Judaic art collection are on display outside of the Delta Sky Club in the Concourse B-C walkway connector. Artwork from local student artists is on display throughout the walkways connecting Concourses A, B and C. Local fine art is on display in the Concourse B gates area.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Location: Terminal B, landside, Ticketing and Baggage Claim areas; Terminal B, airside, Concourse rotunda; and the A-B Connector (near Regions Bank office).
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Concerts - Quartets from the Memphis Symphony Orchestra perfrom classical music. Location: in the passenger connector near the Blue Note Café and across from the food court in the Concourse B rotunda.
- Currency Exchange - Offering currency exchange, travel insurance and more. Location: Terminal B, landside, ticketing lobby. Hours: 7:00AM - 7:00PM (Mon-Fri) and 9:00AM - 6:00PM (Sat, Sun).
- Duty Free & Shopping - No duty-free shopping available. Most retail shops close around 5:00PM, with some open as late as 7:00PM, but small electronics can also be purchased 24-hours a day from the Best Buy Express vending machine.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules with some open as early as 5:00AM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options.
- Information Desk - Airport information and assistance is available via Blue Suede Service, provided by a volunteer group of retirees who serve the airport. Look around the airport for people wearing navy blue vests, white shirts, khaki pants/shorts and Blue Suede Service clipboards.
- Live Music - Hear soothing classical music performances from the Memphis Symphony Orchestra landside in the Main Terminal and airside, near Gate C11.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - No
- Medical Services - Dorothy L. Bobbitt Health Station - Location: Ticket Lobby B. Hours: 7:30AM - 3:30PM (Mon-Fri).
- Showers - No
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning. The TSA security screening checkpoint hours vary according to terminal:
- Terminal A: 4:00AM - 7:00PM
- Terminal B: 4:00AM - 8:30PM
- Terminal C: 4:00AM - 7:00PM
The airport is served by MATA bus #2 (Midtown/Medical District/Downtown) and MATA bus #4 (LeMoyne Owen College/Downtown). Buses stop in front of Terminal C, on the outer drive (3rd lane) across from the Baggage Claim exits. For route maps, schedules and fares, visit the MATA website.
Car rental desks services are available in the Ground Transportation Center, located under the Baggage Claim level in the lower level of Terminal B. Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National, Payless and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Best Western Executive Inn • Comfort Inn & Suites Airport - American Way • Country Hearth Inn & Suites • Courtyard Memphis Airport • Crowne Plaza Memphis East • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Memphis • Elvis Presley’s Heartbreak Hotel • Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis Olive Branch • Fairfield Inn Memphis I-240 & Perkins • Hampton Inn & Suites Memphis - Shady Grove Road • Holiday Inn Memphis Airport Hotel & Conference Center • La Quinta Inn & Suites Memphis Airport Graceland • Quality Suites I-240 East-Airport • Southaven Inn • Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East.
Taxis are available at the center lane in front of Concourse B Baggage Claim from 6:00AM until 1 hour after the arrival of the last flight. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required.
Last Updated: 17 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.