Philadelphia Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Philadelphia Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I had back problems for the next week because of the chair I slept in.
photo by canagica
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Philadelphia International Airport.
What to Expect
- The Philadelphia airport has 7 terminals. A free shuttle bus service transports passengers connecting on the secure side between Terminals A-East and F, and Terminals C and F.
- Several reviewers warned of long and difficult security lines at this airport. Arrive early!
- Reviewers report that Au Bon Pain restaurant near the entrance to Terminal C is open 24 hours.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Reviewers recommend Terminal C for the best sleeping spots airside.
- If you are landside, try the International Arrivals hall in Terminal A, or one of the walkways.
- This airport can be cold. However, reviewers report that the information desks at Terminals C and F will give you a free sleep kit that includes a blanket and pillow.
- Some reviewers warned of loud TVs and very bright lighting, so consider bringing earplugs and an eyemask.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a micro hotel inside the secure area of the airport that offers hourly rates. There also a hotel connected to the airport and other nearby hotels that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can find comfort in one of the airport lounges with the purchase of an airline membership. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
- This airport has a "Street Pricing" policy on their concessions, which means that the prices at the airport are the same as out on the street.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Philadelphia Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Philadelpia airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: Airside, Concourse A West, Mezzanine Level, between Gates A15 and A16. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • Admirals Club Membership.
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: Airside, Concourse A East, below Gate A6. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • Admirals Club Membership.
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: Airside, B/C Concourse, Third floor, between the B and C Concourses. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • Admirals Club Membership.
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: Airside, Concourse F, Level 2, above the food court. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • Admirals Club Membership.
- United Club - Location: Airside, second level, between Concourse C & D. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • United Club Membership.
USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge that is free of charge to members of the US military and their families. Amenities: snacks, internet, showers, laundry, bunks, library, games, TV Lounge. Location: Terminal A east, tarmac level, adjacent to Gate A6. Hours: open 24 hours
If sleeping in Philadelphia Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Minute Suites - For travellers in Philadelphia on a layover, Minute Suites offers 13 private suites and 2 workstation cubicles to nap, relax or work. Each suite has a daybed sofa, pillows, fresh blankets, sound masking system, HDTV, desk, phone, WiFi access. Location: Terminal A-B Link, Airside. Rates: US $42 per hour for the first two hours • US$32 for the 3rd hour • US$130 for 5 hours • US$140 for 8 hours overnight • US$160 for 8 hours during the day • US$300 for 24 hours. The shower is $20. When the suites are full, they rent air mattresses for US$ 40 with no time limit. Pillows and blankets are provided when available.
- Philadelphia Airport Marriott - To access, take the sky bridge from Terminal B. Free airport shuttle service available on request.
- Embassy Suites Philadelphia Airport - (6 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
- Courtyard Philadelphia Airport - (6 min from the airport) Free scheduled airport shuttle service runs every 30 minutes.
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Airport - (6 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Philadelphia Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Philadelphia airport.
- Art in the Airport - Exhibitions are available throughout the airport.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - At the time of this update, there are 17 ATMs located throughout the landside and airside areas of Terminals A - D and airside (near the gates) in Terminals E and F.
- Baby Care Facilities - Nursing Mother’s Station is available free of charge for 30 minutes, courtesy of Minute Suites Location: Minute Suites (airside walkway, between Terminals B and A-East). Nursing mothers can also use the Companion Care or Family restrooms located throughout the landside and airside areas of the terminals.
- Business Services - The UPS Store offer copying, faxing, shipping, notary and other business services. Location: (airside, Terminal A/B walkway).
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Areas - The “Ready For Take-Off” children’s play area is located at Terminal A-East
- Currency Exchange - Travelex has a few kiosks available. Locations: Terminal A East • Terminal A West • Terminal D
- Duty Free & Shopping - In additional to a large variety of retail shops, are two duty-free shops, located in Terminal A-East and West.
- Food & Drinks - Most food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. Au Bon Pain (Terminal C) is open 24 hours. The airport has a "Street Pricing" policy, which means that the prices at the airport are the same as out on the street.
- Information Desk - Information desks are located throughout the airport. You can also look for airport ambassadors around the airport for assistance.
- Hospitality Program - If you are stranded at the Philadelphia Airport as a result of an emergency or weather delay that results in flight cancellations, the Airport's Hospitality Program provides passengers with hotel and ground transportation information as well as snacks, pillows, blankets and other comfort items.
- Library - A virtual library opened in early 2014. Travellers can relax in comfortable lounge chairs while reading book downloads. Much of the Free Library’s digital content, including classic titles and podcasts, is available to anyone, but a Free Library card is necessary to download non-classic titles and some digital content. Location: Airside, D/E Connector.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Not available
- Mobile Charging - A variety of charging areas are available throughout the airside areas of the airport. Look for the PHL “Power Up” Cubes (power outlets), Power Tables (power outlets and USB ports), Charging Stations (power outlets), window outlets (power outlets and USB ports) and Charging Tables (power outlets). Delta, Southwest and JetBlue also offer their own charging stations at their gates.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking Areas - Smoking is prohibited anywhere in the airport.
- Spa - XpresSpa - Manicures, pedicures, facials, massages and more are available. Location: Terminals C, D and F.
Terminal B is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
Access from the airport to the Amtrak Station is easy via SEPTA, the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority. This public transit system Airport Line picks up at the Rail Line platforms Terminals A-East, B, C, D and E baggage claims. It heads towards Center City Philadelphia. The Amtrak stop is 30th Street Station.
Trains depart every 30 minutes and estimated travel time is 25 minutes.
Taxi services can be accessed at Zone 5 on the Commercial Transportation Roadway and travel time is approximately 15 minutes.
The following agencies provide on-site car rental service: Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz and National. Vehicle pick up is at Zone 2, just outside of Baggage Claim.
Some local hotels provide their own guest airport shuttle service. The hotel shuttle stop is at Zone 4. Contact your hotel for shuttle service availability. Here are some hotels that offer airport shuttle service: aloft Philadelphia Airport • Courtyard Philadelphia Airport • DoubleTree by Hilton Philadelphia Airport • Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia - Airport • Fairfield Inn Philadelphia Airport • Hampton Inn Philadelphia-International Airport • Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport • Philadelphia Airport Marriott • Sheraton Suites Philadelphia Airport • SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park • Wyndham Garden Hotel - Philadelphia Airport.
Limousines and Shared Ride Services
To hire a limousine or executive sedan, or to make a reservation for shared ride shuttle service from the airport, visit the Ground Transportation Information Desk located in all baggage claim areas. Representatives at the desk can inform you of transportation options and give you with a list of service providers. Representatives cannot recommend specific services, but they can instruct you on how to contact your provider of choice and also notify you when they have arrived at the airport to pick you up. Sedans and limousines pick up at Zone 6 and shared ride shuttles pick up at Zone 7 on the Commercial Transportation Roadway.
All taxis operating at this airport are metered, with a $10 minimum charge from the airport to any destination. Fares are based on the distance of the destination and charged according to the meter, but flat rates are also available. At the time of this update, the flat rate charge to areas within the boundaries of central Philadelphia is $28.50. Cash and credit cards are accepted by all taxis. Taxis can be found at Zone 5 on the Commercial Transportation Roadway.
The SEPTA (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority) Airport Regional Rail Line connects the airport to central Philadelphia via train service. Passengers can use this service to get from the airport to stations in Center City and connections to Amtrak, additional regional trains and the Greyhound Bus Station. The SEPTA Airport trains can be accessed from the walkways between the terminals and bag claims at all terminals except F. Hours of operation are 5:09AM - 12:09AM from the airport and 4:25PM - 11:30PM to the airport, with trains departing every 30 minutes. Total travel time from one end of the line to the other is 25 minutes. All stations along this line are wheelchair accessible. A one-way ticket is $8 per person (additional $1 more if you wish to transfer from the SEPTA Airport line to another). For more information visit the SEPTA website.
Last Updated: 13 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.