Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Bangkok Don Muang Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
it does get crowded, so good places for sleeping are soon snapped up. – tashore14
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Bangkok Don Muang Airport.
What to Expect
As the smaller and older of Bangkok’s two airports, Don Muang primarily supports low-cost regional carriers, with Terminal 2 handling domestic flights, and Terminal 1 handling international flights. Terminal 2 has been completely renovated and reportedly provides passengers with smooth check-in and security. Terminal 1 has also been renovated, but can suffer from long immigration line-ups during rush hours—5:00AM – 7:00AM and 3:00PM – 7:00PM—as a result of too many passengers arriving at the same time. Food and services are available both airside and landside, with a few cafes staying open 24 hours. WiFi is available, but access has been reported as being difficult. To enjoy some comfort while you wait for your flight, there are two lounges that sell passes to economy class travellers. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
While the terminals can get crowded, travellers report that there are a variety of sleep options. Noise and cold temperatures are the primary complaints, but travellers feel safe and are not bothered by airport staff. The Terminal 2 departures floor has plenty of comfortable seating and floor space, with the observation deck above the departures floor offering darker space. The couches at Burger King have also been identified as a prime sleeping area. Explore our guide to sleeping in Bangkok Don Muang Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. For privacy and comfort, albeit for a price, there is an airport hostel with 25 sleep boxes in Terminal 2. For larger sleeping accommodations, there is a larger deluxe category hotel connected to the airport by walkway, and some nearby airport hotels within a short drive away. See our Airport Hotels section in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Coral Executive Lounge (Terminal 1) – Location: Terminal 1, International Departures, Airside, 2nd Floor. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Bangkok Don Muang Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
Inside Airport Sleep Box by Miracle – Location: Terminal 2, 4th Floor. Each room 15 sq. meter room can accommodate up to 2 people and offers TV, free WiFi, free drinking water, private washroom and access to Sleep Box’s Lounge & Coffee Bar. Rates for one guest: 1,000 Baht for up to 3 hours (includes free food voucher) and 200 Baht for each subsequent hour. Additional guest is 300 Baht. Overnight guests can stay from 3:00PM – 6:00AM for 1,800 Baht, including free food voucher! » Check Rates
At Airport Amari Don Muang Airport Hotel – This is the only hotel connected to the airport by (air-conditioned) walkway. Walking distance from airport to hotel is 5 minutes, or one-way airport transfers are provided by the hotel for 200 baht (must be pre-arranged). Day rooms are available for use from 8:00AM to 6:00PM for THB 1,200. » Check Rates
Near Airport Take a Rest Don Mueang Residence – (5 minutes from the airport) – No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
Near Airport Montri Resort and Spa – (5 minutes from the airport) – No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
Near Airport Don Mueang Airport Modern Bangkok Hotel – (20 minutes from the airport) Free one-way taxi transfer TO the airport. » Check Rates
Near Airport Thip Mansion Don Mueang – (800m walk from airport) Transfers are available for a fee. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Bangkok Don Muang Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Bangkok Don Muang Airport to a maximum of 2 hours. Connect to the “@ AirportTrueFreeWiFi”network.
Pro Tip: A reviewer says that the 2-hour free WiFi can be renewed every 2 hours by entering different details at registration for each session.
- Post Office – Postage, money orders, a public phone for international calls, and a variety of other services are available. Location: North of Terminal 1, in the 3rd floor Departures lounge Hours: Daily from 8:00AM – 7:00PM (open until 3:00PM on holidays).
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Children’s Play Areas – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Locations: Airside, Domestic Departures, FL3 and International Departures, FL3.
Food & Drink
- Food & Drink – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Public Zone FL 4: The Noodle Shop
- Public Zone (Arrivals) FL 1: Taurus Coffee by Taurus • Doi Chaang Coffee by D-Healthy
- Domestic (Departures) FL 3: Coffee & More Sweets, snacks and convenience items can also be purchased from one of several 24-hour mini-markets, located in Public Zone FL 3 (Departures) and Domestic Departures FL 3.
- Information Desk – In Terminal 1, an Information Desk can be found in both Departures and Arrivals areas. In Terminal 2, six Information Desks are available.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Luggage can be stored up to 4 months in the airport’s luggage storage facility. At the time of this update, the rates are 75 Baht per bag, if stored for less than 24 hours, and 38 Baht for up to 12 hours after or every 12 hours after. Payment is due upon retrieval of luggage. Location: Terminal 2, landside, 2nd floor.
- Medical Services – The fully-staffed Medical Center Clinic offers urgent and emergency medical care. Location: 1st floor, north of Terminal 1. Hours: 8:00AM – 5:00PM.
- Pharmacy – Boots Pharmacy has 2 locations • Airside, Domestic Departures, FL3 (Hours 5:00AM – 9:00PM) and International Departures, FL3 (Hours 4:00AM – 10:00PM).
- Mobile Charging – If you are looking for a place to charge your mobile devices in the public area of the terminal, a helpful reader tells us there is one charging point behind check-in desk # 9 (at the start of the walk way between domestic and international) and another charging point behind check-in desk # 8 (at the other side of the walkway). The reader says “Each charging point has 6 standard Thai plug sockets and 12 USB ports for charging; however, there are no locks or safes so you have to stand and charge. Potentially there is more of these but these were the only ones I saw as they were next to my check in desk.” We don’t have any detailed info about airside mobile charging, but would imagine there are a few places, if it is available in the public zone.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Terminal 1 – Tier 1 Arrival Hall (north and south side); 3rd Floor hallway outbound (north and south) • Terminal 2 (north side – 3rd floor hallway outbound).
- Banking Services – Krungthai Bank and Bangkok Bank offer full-service banking at the airport. Location: 1st floor, outside of Terminal 1, on the north side near the airport’s medical clinic. Hours: 8:30AM – 3:30PM Mon-Fri (Krungthai is open until 4:00PM).
- Currency Exchange – At the time of this update, nine companies offer currency exchange in Terminal 1. You can find currency exchange kiosks in these locations: 3rd Floor hallway outbound (north and south side) • Tier 3 International Arrivals (airside) • Tier 1 Arrivals Halls (landside and airside).
- Prayer Rooms – A Muslim prayer room is located on Departure Level 3, Domestic Zone. Hours: unknown.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs -Visit the Amaxs Health Focus area to enjoy a massage chair or try one of the exercise machines on display. Location: Landside, Departures FL3
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available on the 3rd floor of International Departures, with some shops open 24 hours. A wide variety of retail shops are located both landside and airside.
Showers & Spa
- Showers – Showers are available at Sleep Box Hotel (Rate: 300 Baht) and inside the Miracle Lounge (Location: Terminal 2, Domestic Departures). [ see Airport Hotels and Airport Lounges above ]
- Spa Services – Orchid Spa provides foot massages for tired travellers, hair salon services are also available. Location: Landside, FL4. Hours 7:00AM – 7:00PM daily.
- Smoking Zones – Six smoking areas are available: Arrivals zone 3, Pier 2, Domestic Arrivals, Gate15. Departure zone 3 = Pier 2 ( A ), North Gate14, Bus Departures Gate.
Things to do
- Observation Deck – Relax and watch planes taking off and landing from the vantage point of the airport’s observation deck. Location: Terminal 1, take escalator to the 4th Floor, follow signs to the Silom Village Restaurant and you will see the signs to enter Observation Deck.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, Bangkok Don Muang airport is served by the following airlines: Air Asia • Nok Air • Thai Lion Air • Malindo Air • Scoot Airlines • Tigerair • V Air • Orient Thai Airlines • Siam Air Transport • Maldivian Airlines.
The airport is well connected to the bus system offering at least 12 buses to deliver you to a variety of destinations. Additional information is not currently available.
The following car rental companies have offices onsite: Avis, Budget, Chic and Sixt.
A shuttle bus runs every 15 minutes which stops at both Terminals, all parking structures and the cargo buildings.
Prepaid taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport. Stop at the Public Taxi Stand, curbside outside of the Arrivals area (Gate 8), to pay for your ride. You will receive a ticket to give to your taxi driver before boarding the taxi.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.