Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Berlin Schönefeld Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I spent TWO nights in this airport on my way to Poland and again on the way back. I actually cancelled a night’s accommodation in a Berlin hostel because the airport was cleaner and more comfortable than the hostel! – Bridget
SXF Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Berlin Schönefeld Airport (Code: SXF).
What to Expect
Berlin Schönefeld Airport is the smaller of two airports serving the Berlin area. This small, old airport caters largely to low-cost carriers. It leaves much to be desired in terms of passenger experience and comfort; but it is unlikely to improve until the airport is absorbed into the new Berlin Brandenburg Airport when it opens. The airport has four terminals (A, B, C and D) and they are all connected by a shared airside concourse. Terminal A has a few 24-hour eateries. There is also free WiFi to help pass the time. Travellers looking for a little added comfort, there are first class lounges that economy class passengers can pay to access. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Schönefeld Airport
While airport staff are generally tolerant of overnighters, Schönefeld Airport doesn’t have a very good reputation with airport sleepers. Cramped terminals, a lack of comfortable and vacant benches, and erratic climate control makes this a pretty difficult place to catch some shut eye.
If you are going to sleep here, it’s best to stay landside as there are more sleeping options and seating areas. The 3rd floor in Terminal B tends to be quiet overnight, and the cafe near the entrance of Terminal D has a few couches. Unfortunately, once these options are taken, travellers are generally left with cold metal benches and the floor. Explore our guide to sleeping in Berlin Schönefeld Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. If you’re looking for uninterrupted sleep, there are a few hotels nearby, that are connected shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Have you already been to SXF airport? Write a review and share photos from your own experience.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Berlin Schönefeld Airport Guide.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Green Wings Lounge – Location: Terminal A, Airside, 2nd Floor. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Related Pages: Berlin Schönefeld Airport Lounges
If sleeping in the airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near Schönefeld airport with free shuttle service:
- InterCityHotel Berlin Brandenburg Airport – (4 minute walk to the Schönefeld airport)
- Albergo Hotel Berlin – (10 minute walk from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. After you pick-up your luggage call 0049-30-634840 or 0176-22940857. For pickup head to the short time parking spot, in front of Terminal A, behind the car rentals on the right side.
- Holiday Inn Berlin Airport – Conference Center – (2 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle bus service leaves regularly from Terminal B and the airport train station.
- Meininger Hotel Berlin Airport – (15 minute walk from the airport) This hotel is a brisk walk from the airport or you can take their airport shuttle, which runs every 30 minutes from 6:00AM to 11:00PM (leaves from Terminal B, Easy Jet). Shuttle from the airport to the hotel is free. Shuttle from hotel to the airport is € 3 per person and must be booked at check-in. Dorm rooms are available.
- Ibis Budget Berlin Airport Schoenefeld – (10 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle available for a fee.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Schönefeld Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Berlin Schönefeld airport. Connect to the “_ Free Airport WiFi” network.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Baby Care Facilities – If you are travelling with an infant, diaper-changing facilities can be found in all terminals of the airport.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal A: Terminal A: Arabica (Landside, 1st Floor) • Marché Sandwich Manufaktur (Landside, Ground Floor) • Marché Bakery (Airside, 1st Floor).
- Berlin WelcomeCard – Have a long layover or unexpected detour in Berlin? The Berlin WelcomeCard is a tourist ticket that offers free round-the-clock public transportation, Welcome guide and city map, discounts at local attractions and businesses, including restaurants! Prices start at €23. Visit the Tourist Information Desk for details. Locations: Terminal A, Landside, Ground Floor • Terminal D, Landside, Ground Floor. Hours: 7:00AM – 10:45PM.
- Information Desk – Have any questions? There is a Passenger Information Desk available to provide assistance. Location: Terminal A, landside, Ground Floor.
- Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Berlin and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there are a number of travel agencies with offices at the airport that can probably be of assistance. alltours Reisecenter • Berlin Brandenburg • Condor Reisemarkt, • Last Minute • Sun & Fun Travel • TUI.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – If you want to relieve yourself from the burden of heavy baggage, luggage storage is available on an hourly and daily basis. Location: Terminal D, Landside, Arrivals. Hours: 7:30AM – 11:30PM (Sun – Fri) • 8:00AM – 6:00PM (Sat). Rates: rates start at €6 for 5 hours / standard sized luggage and €10 / 24 hours, but prices vary according to size and length of storage. Note: There is an initial €5 handling fee.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic. Location: Terminal A, landside, 1st Floor. Rate: €8,00 / bag.
- Mobile Charging – Mobile charging outlets are available in the seating areas of the boarding areas.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available 24 hours a day. Some machines dispense foreign currency.Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Terminal A (Landside, Ground Floor & Airside) • Terminal D (Landside & Airside).
- Currency Exchange – Euro Change Location: Terminal A, Landside, Ground Floor right (Hours: 7:00AM – 10:00AM) • Reisebank Location: Terminal D, Landside, Arrivals, Ground Floor (Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM) • Travelex foreign currency ATMs dispense Euro, USD and British Pounds, Locations: Terminal A, Airside, Ground Floor, Arrivals and Terminal A, Airside, Ground Floor, 1st Floor Departures (Hours: 24 hours).
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Heinemann Duty Free are available airside in Terminals A and D. Newspapers, snacks and travel essentials can be purchased at any of the Relay stores, located both landside and airside in Terminals A and D (Hours: vary, all open at 4:00AM and close between 9:00PM and 12:00AM).
- VAT Refund – Global Blue (Terminal A, 1st Floor – Hours: 8:00AM – 6:00PM) • Planet Payment Germany (Terminal A, at Sun Fun Travel & Terminal D, at Reisbank – Hours: 9:00AM – 8:00PM) • Tax Free Germany (Terminal A, at Sun Fun Travel – Hours: 9:00AM – 8:00PM).
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Salon – unknown
- Showers – Not available.
- Spa – unknown
Things to do & see
- Observation Deck – Relax and watch planes taking off and landing from the vantage point of the airport’s observation deck. Location: Terminal A, 2nd floor. Hours: 10:00AM – 3:00PM (Apr to Oct) • 11:00AM – 3:00PM (Nov to Mar). Rate: €3,00 for a single adult ticket.
SXF airport is open 24 hours. Passengers with a valid boarding pass are allowed to stay the night inside the terminal.
Berlin Schönefeld airport is served by the following airlines: Aeroflot • Air VIA • Arkia Israeli Airlines • Astra Airlines • Azur Airlines • Belavia • Bulgarian Air Charter • Condor • easyJet • Egypt Air • El Al Israel Airlines • Fly Egypt • Freebird Airlines • Georgian Airlines • Israir • Neos • Nesma Airlines • Norwegian • Nouvelair • Onur Air • Pegasus Airlines • Rossiya Airlines • Ryanair • Sundair • Sun Express • Tailwind Airlines • Transavia • Travel Service Airlines • TUIFly • Tunisair • Wings of Lebanon • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Schoenefeld Airport is served by the following local buses: Regular bus service routes 163, 164, 171, 734, 735, 736, 738, 741 and 742; Express bus routes X7; and Night bus routes N7 and N60. Clearly-marked bus stops are located in front of Terminal A, near Car Parks P1 and P4, and outside of the airport railway station. For route maps, schedules and additional fare information, visit the VBB (Verkehrsverbund Berlin-Brandenburg) website.
The following long-distance coach services are also available from the airport: BLB BerlinLinienBus (to/from Dresden), MeinFernbus (to/from Chemnitz and Dresden) and PolskiBus (to/from Łódź, Poznań and Warsaw). Contact your service provider of choice for more details.
Car rental services are handled at the Car Rental Centre, a designated facility located in front of Terminal A. Onsite car rental agencies include: Avis/Budget • Buchbinder/Global Drive • Enterprise/National/Alamo • Europcar, Hertz/Dollar/Thrifty • Sixt. Hours of operation vary between the agencies, but most are open daily from about 7:00AM – 11:00PM, with service starting later on Sundays at 8:00AM.
See Airport Hotels above.
Taxis are available at taxi ranks located on the approach to SXF airport, directly outside of Terminal A. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. Surcharges apply for maxi cabs, bulky luggage and non-cash payments. For safety reasons, only use a clearly-marked and licensed taxi, and do not accept unsolicited offers of a ride from anyone posing as a taxi driver.
The airport railway station is located just a five-minute walk, via covered walkway, from the airport terminals. These trains serve the airport:
S-Bahn trains S9 and S45 depart every 10 – 20 minutes with connections to the city centre available. The fastest way to travel between the airport and Berlin city center is by the Airport Express regional trains, lines RE7 and RB14. Both lines depart hourly for the 30-minute trip between the airport and city center. A third line, the RB22, departs hourly for the Brandenburg capital of Potsdam.
For routes maps, schedules and additional fare information, visit the visit the VBB (Verkehrsverbund Berlin-Brandenburg) website.
Last updated: 2020-06-16
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.