Cairo Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Cairo Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I asked security to wake me up at 7am (I was tired!) and they actually did.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Cairo Airport.
What to Expect
- Cairo airport consists of four terminals. Terminal 1 (old terminal), Terminal 2 (closed for renovation, schedule to reopen in 2016), Terminal 3 (new terminal) and the Seasonal Flight Terminal (for Saudia's Hajj flights).
- Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 are connected by a shuttle bus. Outside the Arrivals Hall, look for buses with destination boards (Terminal 1 or Terminal 3) depending on the direction you are going. The buses are crowded! The distance between Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 is too far to walk.
- In Terminal 1, all baggage is screened before entering the terminal. This can result in chaos with a lot of pushing and shoving in a small area before you even get inside the terminal.
- Have your passports and documents handy as they will be checked frequently.
- Several bathrooms are reportedly in poor condition and lack basic supplies. Have plenty of tissue and hand santizer ready!
- Passengers are allowed to pass through from the public to secure zone 3 hours prior to departure. If you arrive early, it is not possible to pass through security early. You must remain in public area of terminal.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi below.
Where to Sleep
- In Terminal 3, multiple reviewers mention Level 3 (Landside) and Zone H as having a lot of lightly padded benches to spend a relatively comfortable night.
- If you are sleeping in the airport alone, try to find another traveller to sleep near.
- For more comfort, there is an airport hotel connected to Terminal 3. See Airport Hotels below.
Good to Know
- Be on alert for aggressive porters and "employees" who offer to take you to the "first class line". They will ask for your passport and appear to hold it hostage until you pay.
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Cairo Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Cairo airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- First Class Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, 1st & 2nd Floors. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door ($30) • Book Online (£24 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- First Class Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, 1st Floor. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£25 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- First Class Lounge - Location: Terminal 3 , airside, 2nd Floor. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door ($30) • Book Online (£24 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
If sleeping at the Cairo Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Le Meridien Cairo Airport - Connected to Terminal 3 by a pedestrian bridge. The hotel offers a day rate of $110.00 USD, 10:00AM - 6:00PM. Hourly rates are also available, minimum 2 hour stay at $45.00 USD for the 1st 2 hours and $10.00 USD per hour after, maximum stay is 5 hours and does not include overnights.
- Novotel Cairo Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free shuttle bus service available on request (seat must be pre-booked). Day rooms are available from 10:00AM to 7:00PM.
- Radisson Blu Hotel Cairo Heliopolis - (15 min from the airport) Airport shuttle is available on request for $15 USD each way. Shuttle service is a meet & greet service, and includes express check-in/out, welcome drink, face towel, and a rose for lady guests.
- Fairmont Helipolis - (10 min from the airport) Airport shuttle is available. Airport pick-up is $10 USD and must be pre-booked. Hotel provides free shuttle service for airport drop-off and to select tourist destinations.
- Fairmont Towers Heliopolis - (10 min from the airport) Airport shuttle is available. Airport pick-up is $10 USD and must be pre-booked. Hotel provides free shuttle service for airport drop-off and to select tourist destinations (see concierge for details).
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Cairo Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Cairo airport.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes (landside and airside - there are more options landside)
- Car Rentals - Avis • Budget • Dollars • Hertz • Sixt. Locations: Terminals 1 and 3, landside.
- Currency Exchange - There are several banks located in the landside and airside areas offering foreign exchange services.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Available in Terminals 1 and 3.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update, there were many food options such as Burger King, McDonalds, Starbucks, Ritazza, Upper Crust and more. However, it was not known if there are any 24 hour food concessions.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Pharmacy - There is a pharmacy located in Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. Hours and locations are no known.
- Shopping - Duty free shopping can be found in Terminal 1 and Terminal 3.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - There are smoking rooms available in Terminal 3's International departures area. Location: Airside, halfway between Gates F9 - F10 and G2-G3.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Information not available
Last Updated: 07 September 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.