Calcutta Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Calcutta Airport Guide with i nfo on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
we slept sitting up. The lights remained on all night and we had to dawn our jackets (in India??) because the AC was quite cold. - Mur the Explorer
To help you plan your layover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Calcutta Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport comprises a single, large terminal divided into international and domestic halls. The brand new terminal opened around 2013-2014 and has been recognized for its improvements in layout, efficiency, signage, and amenities. It is easy to navigate.
- Travellers report clean facilities.
- Mosquitoes have been spotted inside the airport terminal near the gates. Bring mosquito repellent!
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Travellers generally report feeling safe, with some security throughout the terminal overnight. Airport staff are tolerant of overnight sleepers.
- Both departure halls have a lot of seating. Wander around to find some couches that don’t have armrests.
- The air conditioning is strong, so bring an extra layer.
- As a busy airport, come prepared for noise and light - bring earplugs and eye masks.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are day rooms inside the airport and several hotels located near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in three airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Calcutta Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Calcutta airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Travel Club - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, Mezzanine Level. Hours: 4:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£18.50) • Priority Pass.
- Travel Club Lounge Annex - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, Mezzanine Level. Hours: 3:30AM - last scheduled flight. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Clipper Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal Building, Airside, near Departure Gate 25.
- Travel Club - Location: International Terminal, Airside - Mezzanine Level. Hours: 4:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£18.50) • Priority Pass.
Free WiFi is available at Kolkata Airport for up to 30 minutes. Connect to the Tata Docomo Wi Fi” network, and enter your details at the web log-in page in order to get your WiFi serial number and PIN via SMS.
If sleeping in Calcutta Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Retiring Rooms - For passenger with a confirmed onward flight ticket, the airport offers a variety of lodging at the airport. There are eight furnished retiring rooms, a 10-bed Ladies Dormitory, and a 24-bed Men’s Dormitory, all located in the Old International Terminal, just 500 meters north of the New Terminal. Accommodation is subject to availability, available on a first come first serve basis, and must be requested either in person or via fax to the Airport Manager’s office. Maximum stay is 24 hours. At the time of this update, these were the current rates: Rs 1000/- per bed (twin-sharing) in a Retiring Room, Rs 1500/- per room for a family Retiring Room, and Rs 700/- per bed for the Dormitory. Location: Old International Terminal Hours: Open 24 hours
- Hotel Airways - Located across from the Domestic Terminal building outside of the airport area. Airport pick up is 200 Rs, but airport drop off is free.
- Airport City Hotel- (Less than 1 mile from the airport) Airport transfers available
- O2 Oxygen Hotel - (10 min from the airport) Airport transfers available
- Swissotel Kolkata - (15 min from the airport) Airport transfers available
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Calcutta Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes, located throughout the Arrivals and Departures levels.
- Baby Care Facilities - Child Care rooms are available for nursing mothers. Location: Arrivals, Lower Level.
- Baggage Trolleys - Yes and free of charge.
- Car Rentals - Yes, self-drive cars are available for rent. See our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Yes, available in the Arrivals area.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available on both Arrivals and Departures levels of the International wing of the terminal. In addition, there is a small variety of shops selling clothing, shoes, teas and other items, located throughout the airport.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, we are unable to confirm the availability of 24-hour dining, but we can tell you that there is a wide variety of options located throughout the landside and airside areas of the airport.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Luggage can be stored up to 30 days in the Left Luggage Facility. Rates are Rs.20/- per bag for a period up to 24 hours, and Rs.40/- per bag, per day for every day beyond that, up to 30 days. Luggage is subject to x-ray and random hand search. Two locations: Arrivals, Counter 18 (near Gate 3C) or Departures, Airport Manager’s office, near Gate 3C. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Medical Services - For urgent and emergency medical assistance, there is a Medical Inspection Room located on both Departures and Arrivals levels. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Post Office - Yes
- Prayer Room - Yes
- Smoking Lounge - Yes.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Information not available.
Last Updated: 19 September 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.