In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Calcutta Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
we slept sitting up. The lights remained on all night and we had to dawn our jackets (in India??) because the AC was quite cold. - Mur the Explorer
We had intended to stay in a 'retiring room', but upon arrival at 11.55pm all of the rooms were taken and there was no room in the female dorm so my wife and I made an executive dicision to just stay in the airport for the night.
First to change terminals from the international to the domestic was a chancy proposition. There are gaurds at the entrance door. They check as you enter to ensure you do in fact have a plane ticket. We were not sure if we left the terminal where we landed we would be able to enter the domestic terminal, you are not suppose to enter until about 2 hours prior to your flight and our flight was 12 hours away. We gambled. We won. The guards are quite nice, even though they carry machine guns, and were sympathetic to our situation.
When we entered the waiting hall we realize that we were two of about 100 people waiting out the night in the airport. We were just glad to have a place to park our behinds and were not able to be too fussy about location.
We found a chair to sit in a tried to get comfortable. The seating was 'airport seating' with hard padded benches partitioned by metal arm rests. So, we slept sitting up. The lights remained on all night and we had to dawn our jackets (in India??) because the AC was quite cold. Safety did not seem to be a problem, the fellas with the machine guns roamed the hall all night. There was not much noise until about 5am when the annoucements started and even then they were infrequent.
The sleep was intermittent and not very long. Would I do it again? In a pinch, I think I would try to find the Airway Hotel and opt for a bit more quality.
Have you been to Calcutta Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Top Deck Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, Landside, 1st Floor. Hours: 630am - 930pm.
- Clipper Bar Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, airside
- Club Bar Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, Landside, Ground Floor. Hours: varies
- Clipper Bar Lounge - Location: International Terminal, landside
- Port Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Landside, First Floor. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: £13.50 per person for 3 hours (online) to guarantee that you have a seat. » book lounge
Information not available
If sleeping in the Calcutta Airport does not appeal to you, there are a few hotels near the airport....
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Calcutta Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
There are also "retiring rooms" in the domestic and international terminals, but I don't have any additional details about this. I will add the info as soon as I receive it.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes, in the International and Domestic Terminals.
- Car Rentals - Yes, in the International and Domestic Terminals.
- Currency Exchange - Yes, in the International Terminal.
- Food / Dining - Yes, in the International and Domestic Terminals (airside and landside). At hte time of this update it was not known if there were any 24 hour food and beverage concessions available.
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - Yes, in the International and Domestic Terminals.
- Showers - Information not available
Information not available
Facebook and Twitter Tips
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Calcutta Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2014.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Calcutta Travel Resources
- Calcutta Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 06 October 2013
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.