Calcutta Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Calcutta Airport Guide with i nfo on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
we slept sitting up. The lights remained on all night and we had to dawn our jackets (in India??) because the AC was quite cold. - Mur the Explorer
To help you plan your layover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Calcutta Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport comprises a single, large terminal divided into international and domestic halls. The brand new terminal opened around 2013-2014 and has been recognized for its improvements in layout, efficiency, signage, and amenities. It is easy to navigate.
- Travellers report clean facilities.
- Mosquitoes have been spotted inside the airport terminal near the gates. Bring mosquito repellent!
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Travellers generally report feeling safe, with some security throughout the terminal overnight. Airport staff are tolerant of overnight sleepers.
- Both departure halls have a lot of seating. Wander around to find some couches that don’t have armrests.
- The air conditioning is strong, so bring an extra layer.
- As a busy airport, come prepared for noise and light - bring earplugs and eye masks.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are day rooms inside the airport and several hotels located near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in three airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Calcutta Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Calcutta airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Travel Club - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, Mezzanine Level. Hours: 4:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£18.50).
- Clipper Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal Building, Airside, near Departure Gate 25.
- Travel Club - Location: International Terminal, Airside - Mezzanine Level. Hours: 4:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£18.50).
WiFi is available at Kolkatt Airport inside the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ] At the time of this update, we did not have any information about WiFi availability elsewhere in the terminal.
If sleeping in Calcutta Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Retiring Rooms - Located inside the domestic and international terminals. Location: Unknown. Rates: Single Bed - Rs.750 • double bed - Rs.1000 • single single-sex dormitories - Rs 700 per bed (includes taxes) per day.
- Hotel Airways - Located across from the Domestic Terminal building outside of the airport area. Airport pick up is 200 Rs, but airport drop off is free.
- Airport City Hotel- (Less than 1 mile from the airport) Airport transfers available
- O2 Oxygen Hotel - (10 min from the airport) Airport transfers available
- Swissotel Kolkata - (15 min from the airport) Airport transfers available
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Calcutta Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes, in the International and Domestic Terminals.
- Baggage Trolleys - Yes and free of charge.
- Car Rentals - Yes, in the International and Domestic Terminals.
- Currency Exchange - Yes, in the International Terminal.
- Food & Drinks - Yes, in the International and Domestic Terminals (airside and landside). At hte time of this update it was not known if there were any 24 hour food and beverage concessions available.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Yes, in the International and Domestic Terminals.
Information not available
Information not available.
Last Updated: 06 January 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.