Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Kolkata Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
we slept sitting up. The lights remained on all night and we had to dawn our jackets (in India??) because the AC was quite cold. – Mur the Explorer
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Kolkata Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport.
What to Expect
Kolkata Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport consists of a modern, six-level L-shaped terminal divided into domestic and international wings. The former domestic terminal still handles a few regional flights, and the former international terminal is used for chartered Hajj flights. The new terminal houses almost three dozen eateries and almost two dozen retail establishments, with almost all of them located on the airside. WiFi is available to help pass the time. Additional comfort can be found through fee-based access to one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
Travellers call the airport safe and clean, with plenty of seating. Unfortunately, armrests make stretching out impossible. Be prepared to sleep on the floor. Airport staff are generally tolerant of overnight sleepers, but the terminal is cold, noisy and brightly lit. For those reasons, consider bringing an extra layer or travel blanket, earplugs/noise-cancelling earphones, and eyeshade, if you are intending to spend the night at the airport. For uninterrupted sleep, there are day rooms in the airport and several hotels located nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
Mosquitoes have been spotted inside the airport terminal near the gates. Bring mosquito repellent!
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Airport Hotels & Day Rooms
If sleeping in Kolkata Airport does not appeal to you, there are day rooms inside the airport and nearby airport hotels:
In Airport Retiring Rooms – For passengers with a confirmed onward flight ticket, the airport offers a variety of lodging at the airport. In the Old Terminal (500 meters north of the New Terminal), there are eight furnished retiring rooms, a 10-bed Ladies Dormitory, and a 24-bed Men’s Dormitory. Accommodation is subject to availability, available on a first come first serve basis, and must be requested either in person or via fax to the Airport Manager’s office. Maximum stay is 24 hours. At the time of this update, these were the current rates: Rs 1000/- per bed (twin-sharing) in a Retiring Room, Rs 1500/- per room for a family Retiring Room, and Rs 700/- per bed for the Dormitory. Hours: Open 24 hours. In the New Terminal, Transit travellers have use of 12 double rooms located about 50 M from the luggage carousel. The rooms are fully furnished with attached washroom, wardrobe, television, mini fridge, mobile/laptop charging points, WiFi, complimentary newspapers, drinking water, and tea/coffee. Check-in available 24 hours a day. Rates start at RS 1,000. See the airport manager office on the departure level, which is accessible through Gate-3C or by sending a fax to 033-25118877.
Near Airport Hotel Airways – Located across from the Domestic Terminal building outside of the airport area. Airport pick up is 200 Rs, but airport drop off is free. » Check Rates
Near Airport Airport City Hotel– (Less than 1 mile from the airport) Free airport transfers are available upon request. » Check Rates
Near Airport O2 Oxygen Hotel – (10 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available. upon prior request, Rs 350 per car each way. » Check Rates
Near Airport Swissotel Kolkata – (15 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available upon request, prices range from INR 835 to INR 1035 (plus tax) each way. Note, some room rates include the transfer for free. » Check Rates
Near Airport Ethnotel – (10 minutes) Transportation can be arranged for a fee. » Check Rates
Near Airport Majestic Suites – (15 minutes) Transportation can be arranged for a fee. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Kolkata Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Kolkata Airport. Connect to the “Tata Docomo Wi Fi” network, and enter your details at the web log-in page in order to get your WiFi serial number and PIN via SMS.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Post Office – Yes
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Child Care rooms are available for nursing mothers. Location: Arrivals, Lower Level.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, we are unable to confirm the availability of 24-hour dining, but we can tell you that there is a wide variety of options located throughout the landside and airside areas of the airport.
- Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Luggage can be stored up to 30 days in the Left Luggage Facility. Rates are Rs.20/- per bag for a period up to 24 hours, and Rs.40/- per bag, per day for every day beyond that, up to 30 days. Luggage is subject to x-ray and random hand search. Two locations: Arrivals, Counter 18 (near Gate 3C) or Departures, Airport Manager’s office, near Gate 3C. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Luggage Wrapping – Service is available in the International Check-in area.
- Medical Services – For urgent and emergency medical assistance, there is a Medical Inspection Room located on both Departures and Arrivals levels. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Pharmacy – Apollo Pharmacy is available, Domestic Hall, Landside.
- Mobile Charging – A reader tells us that mobile charging facilities are available in domestic departure area. The number of sockets is limited, but free of charge. An Indian power adapter is required needed.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Terminal 2, Departures and Arrivals levels.
- Currency Exchange – A foreign currency counter is available in the Arrivals area.
- Prayer Room – Location: unknown.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available on both Arrivals and Departures levels of the International wing of the terminal. In addition, there is a small variety of shops selling clothing, shoes, teas and other items, located throughout the airport.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Salon – unknown
- Showers – Not available.
- Spa – Masti Health and Beauty offers spa services in the Domestic Hall, Airside.
- Smoking Lounge – Yes.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of April 2019, Kolkata airport is served by the following airlines: Air India • Air Asia • Bhutan Airlines • Biman Bangladesh • China Eastern • Dragon Air • Druk Air • Emirates • Go Air • IndiGo • Jet Konnect • Qatar Airways • Regent Airways • Singapore Airlines • SpiceJet • Thai Airways • United Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The airport is served by West Bengal Surface Transport Corporation (WBSTC) with air-conditioned buses connecting passengers to a variety of destinations.
Wenzcars offers car rental services onsite and is open 24 hours.
At the time of this update, we were unable to find any hotels that provide hotel shuttle service; however, there are several hotels that can arrange transfers for a fee. [ See Airport Hotels above ]
Prepaid and on-demand taxis are available at the airport.
The airport is connected to the Kolkata Suburban Railway system. The airport station (Biman Bandar) is connected via a 4km elevated track to the Dumdum Cantonment. Visit the Railway Reservation office located in the arrivals area.
Last updated: 2019-05-06
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.