Chennai Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Chennai Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Security would only let me into the Visitor's gallery because my departure wasn't within 3 hours. The gallery was cold and the chairs designed specifically with metal separators so you couldn't lie across. - sophcotton
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Chennai Airport.
What to Expect
- There are two passenger terminals, one domestic and one international, with both having been renovated in the last few years.
- As of June 2016, there had been 64 incidents of the glass ceiling falling in the new Domestic terminal. Be careful!
- You will not be permitted the airport until 3 hours prior to your flight.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- The end of the hall near past Gate 18 is quiet (Scott P, August 2015).
- Visit the gazebo-like structure in the food court for padded benches.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are "Retiring Rooms" and a couple hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Showers are available in the “Retiring Rooms”.
- Economy class travellers can buy a pass to four airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Chennai Airport Guide. Send us your Chennai Airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Chennai airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Travel Club - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, 3rd floor, opposite Gate 5. Hours: 4:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£13.50).
- Port Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, 2nd Floor. Lounge Access: to be advised.
- Travel Club - Location: International Terminal, Airside, opposite Gates 11 to 14. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£18.50).
- Travel Club - Location: New International Terminal, Airside, 3rd floor VIP lounge level, opposite Gate 7. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£18.50).
Free WiFi is available at Chennai Airport in the lounges.
If sleeping in Chennai Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Retiring Rooms - Look for signs with “Retiring Rooms” on them. There is an affordable air-conditioned dormitory. There’s a bathroom with showers and quiet, dimmed sleeping. Security may only let you in if you have proper flight documentation. It is not possible to book in advance. In the Domestic Terminal, you must first go to the "Booking Office", located on the departure floor near Spice Jet. Show your ticket, passport and pay the fee. Take the elevator to the lower level. The rooms are located on the right hand side. Rate: RS700/night.
- Radisson Blu Hotel Chennai - (Located less than 1.5 mile from the airport) Airport limo available for a fee
- Trident Chennai- (Located less than 2 miles from the airport) Airport transportation available for a fee
- Just Guest House - (10 min from the airport) Airport transportation available
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Chennai Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes
- Child Care Room - Yes
- Currency Exchange - Yes
- Drinking Water - Yes, environmentally friendly cups area available.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Yes
- Luggage Trolleys - Yes
- Massages and Spa - Yes
- Mobile Charging - Yes
- Pharmacy - Yes
- Post Office - Yes
- Showers - Yes, in the Retiring Rooms [ see Airport Hotels above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
Information not available.
Last Updated: 07 January 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.