In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Chennai Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Security would only let me into the Visitor's gallery because my departure wasn't within 3 hours. The gallery was cold and the chairs designed specifically with metal separators so you couldn't lie across. - sophcotton
photo credit: Sodabottle / Wikimedia
My domestic flight arrived at 7pm and with an international flight the next morning at 10 30am I decided I'd try to pass the night in the airport. Domestic arrivals was tiny so I ventured outside, killed time at India Post for internet and Cafe Coffee Day, then headed next door (same building) to the international terminal. Security would only let me into the Visitor's gallery because my departure wasn't within 3 hours. The gallery was cold and the chairs designed specifically with metal separators so you couldn't lie across. The gallery did, however, feel safe and there was a kiosk open and people around all night.
Have you been to Chennai Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Chennai airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Travel Club - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, 3rd floor, opposite Gate 5. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£13.50) • Priority Pass.
- Port Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, 2nd Floor. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Travel Club - Location: International Terminal, Airside, opposite Gates 11 to 14. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£18.50) • Priority Pass.
- Travel Club - Location: New International Terminal, Airside, 3rd floor VIP lounge level, opposite Gate 7. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£18.50) • Priority Pass.
Free WiFi is available at the Chennai Airport in the lounges.
If sleeping in the Chennai Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport....
- Radisson Hotel GRT - shuttle service available
- Hilton Chennai - 15 minutes from the airport
- Radisson Blu - near the International airport.
The airport's web site states there are "retiring rooms", but details of locations, rates are unknown. If you know about these rooms, please email me so that I can update this information.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Chennai Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Showers - See Maharaja Lounge above
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Information not available
- Car Rentals - Information not available
- Currency Exchange - Information not available
- Food & Drinks - Information not available
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Information not available
- Showers - Information not available
Information not available
If you have questions about this airport that are not answered here or in the airport reviews, post a question on our Facebook Page. If you post a question, remember to mention the airport or nobody will understand what you are asking about.
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Chennai Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Chennai Travel Resources
- Tripadvisor - search Chennai hotel deals, check availability and read traveller reviews.
Last Updated: 02 June 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.