In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Dhaka Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
the upstairs transit area is the best area and completely different from the usual Asian chaos below.
"I lived in Dhaka for four years and traveled in and out of the country quite a bit. Because of frequent flight delays, I have spent quite a bit of time camping out, both by myself and with large groups of people.
There is a Sheridan run bar upstairs. It's smokey a lot of the time, and overpriced, but it beats hanging out downstairs with the teeming hordes of Bangladeshi 'guest workers' in matching baseball hats, who are on their way to Dubai or some other Middle Eastern country. As a female, I found being surrounded by the men, many of whom had clearly never seen a Caucasian woman up close, to be, not threatening, but very uncomfortable. The Sheridan bar, on the other hand, is quiet, and has a really good bathroom, complete with a shower. (I've never taken a shower there though, so I have no idea how it is).
The rest of upstairs is deserted. It has kind of a groovy 70s vibe, and looks like it was built when the country was first founded and they had big plans for modernization. I have not tried sleeping up there, but it is huge and empty and I am sure that for a small bribe, you would be left alone.
If you are leaving Dhaka, do not admit to carrying any local money, because they will tell you it is illegal to take it out of the country and confiscate it. It is a much better option to carry your money though and use it to purchase random stuff at duty-free. (I bought 36 KitKat bars with my spare Taka when I left the country.)
The seating is incredibly uncomfortable, and the gates do not open until shortly before the scheduled flight time.
If you are a female, be prepared for multiple full body pat downs (by a female guard, and behind a screen, but VERY thorough.)
Have you been to Dhaka Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Sheraton VIP Lounge (Balaka) - Location: Airside, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours.
Information not available
If sleeping in the Dhaka Airport does not appeal to you, the nearest hotel is:
- Dhaka Regency Hotel & Resort (2.8km) 3 minute drive from the airport. Airport van available on request.
- Hotel Golden Deer (3.5km)
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Dhaka Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Information not available
- Car Rentals - Information not available
- Currency Exchange - Information not available
- Food & Drinks - Information not available
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Information not available
- Showers - Information not available
Information not available
If you have questions about this airport that are not answered here or in the airport reviews, post a question on our Facebook Page. If you post a question, remember to mention the airport or nobody will understand what you are asking about.
Dhaka Travel Resources
- Dhaka Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Dhaka Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2014 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2014.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 02 June 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.