Dhaka Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Dhaka Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
the upstairs transit area is the best area and completely different from the usual Asian chaos below. - poodlemark
To help you plan your layover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Dhaka Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport.
What to Expect
- Many travellers have reported that airport staff and security have asked for handouts, bribes, etc., and some felt verbally harassed. This may be improving in the last 1-2 years.
- This is an old, small-time, chaotic airport. Airport procedures are typically disorganized and inefficient. It seems like there are a lot of security guards, but the security is weak or non-existent.
- This small airport is divided into three terminals: T1 and T2 are international terminals and the third is the Domestic Terminal. They are easy to navigate.
- Airport shops take BDT (Bangladesh taka) only.
- Travellers overall report filthy and poorly maintained restrooms. Facilities are outdated and not up to international standards.
Where to Sleep
- We have very few reviews from travellers who have spent the night here. If you plan to spend the night, please have a backup plan.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are a few nearby hotels. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in two airport lounges; both have showers. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Dhaka Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Ruposhi Bangla Hotel Balaka Executive Lounge - Location: Airside, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Skylounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours.
WiFi is available at Dhaka Airport inside the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
If sleeping in Dhaka Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Best Western Plus Maple Leaf - (2 minutes from the airport) The closest hotel to the airport. Airport transfers are provided (4 seat sedan) upon request, $6.32 USD each way.
- Richmond Hotel & Suites - (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service is available. You can make prior arrangements but it is suggested to call the hotel (880 2 48952026-27) once you have landed to arrange the pick-up.
- Dhaka Regency Hotel & Resort - (3 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle service is available upon requrest. $12.00 USD each way or book the limo for $20.00 USD each way.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Dhaka Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There is a bank on site which may have an ATM.
- Baby Care Facilities - Available both Landside and Airside.
- Car Rentals - There is a car rental shop outside the airport. The airport suggests that travellers "should beware of cheats and exorbitant rates. It is best if you have your guide (most hotels provide guide assistance themselves as a complimentary service) in Bangladesh to take care of this part of the journey”.
- Children’s Play Area - not available
- Currency Exchange - There is a currency change office opposite the baggage claim area.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is available in addition to a small variety of stores selling books, newspaper, snacks, etc.
- Food & Drinks - According to a recent reviewer (Oct, 2016), a restaurant called Spices is the only restaurant available in the airport. There is also a coffee shop called Barista (location is unknown).
- Prayer Rooms - Male and Female prayer rooms are available in the Arrivals area of Terminal 1.
- Showers - Showers are located inside the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
As of this update, we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. We recommend that you read a few reviews before deciding to sleep in the airport overnight. If you know the airport hours, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will update this airport guide.
Information not available.
Last Updated: 20 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.