Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Dhaka Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
the upstairs transit area is the best area and completely different from the usual Asian chaos below. – poodlemark
To help you plan your layover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Dhaka Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport.
What to Expect
- Many travellers have reported that airport staff and security have asked for handouts, bribes, etc., and some felt verbally harassed. This may be improving in the last 1-2 years.
- This is an old, small-time, chaotic airport. Airport procedures are typically disorganized and inefficient. It seems like there are a lot of security guards, but the security is weak or non-existent.
- This small airport is divided into three terminals: T1 and T2 are international terminals and the third is the Domestic Terminal. They are easy to navigate.
- Airport shops take BDT (Bangladesh taka) only.
- Travellers overall report filthy and poorly maintained restrooms. Facilities are outdated and not up to international standards.
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in two airport lounges; both have showers. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- We have very few reviews from travellers who have spent the night here. If you plan to spend the night, please have a backup plan.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are a few nearby hotels. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Intercontinental Dhaka Balaka Executive Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Dhaka Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Best Western Plus Maple Leaf – (2 minutes from the airport) The closest hotel to the airport. Airport transfers are provided (4 seat sedan) upon request, $6.32 USD each way. » Check Rates
- Richmond Hotel & Suites – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. You can make prior arrangements but it is suggested to call the hotel once you have landed to arrange the pick-up. » Check Rates
- Dhaka Regency Hotel & Resort – (3 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available upon request. $12.00 USD each way or book the limo for $20.00 USD each way. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Dhaka Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Dhaka airport.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – There is a bank on site which may have an ATM.
Baby Care Facilities – Available both Landside and Airside.
Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge throughout the airport.
Currency Exchange – There is a currency change office opposite the baggage claim area.
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free is available in addition to a small variety of stores selling books, newspaper, snacks, etc.
Food & Drinks – According to a recent reviewer (Oct, 2016), a restaurant called Spices is the only restaurant available in the airport. There is also a coffee shop called Barista (location is unknown).
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Luggage Wrapping – Service are available.
Medical Services – First Aid services are available. Seek assistance from airport staff if necessary.
Prayer Rooms – Male and Female prayer rooms are available in the Arrivals area of Terminal 1.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Showers are located inside the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
As of this update, we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. We recommend that you read a few reviews before deciding to sleep in the airport overnight. If you know the airport hours, please send an email to [email protected] and we will update this airport guide.
As of March 2018, Dhaka airport is served by the following airlines: Qatar Airways • Cathay Pacific • Qatar Airways • Etihad Airways • Emirates • Turkish Airlines • Jet Airways • China Southern • Saudia • China Eastern.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
There is a car rental desk outside the airport. The airport suggests that travellers “should beware of cheats and exorbitant rates. It is best if you have your guide (most hotels provide guide assistance themselves as a complimentary service) in Bangladesh to take care of this part of the journey”.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.