Guangzhou Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Guangzhou Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I saw a few of the local chinese passengers enter the black flaps where the luggage comes out from. A short while later, they emerged with their luggages, dusted themselves and moved off. - a traveller
To help you plan your layover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Guangzhou Airport.
What to Expect
- This is a fairly modern airport, with one main terminal for all international and domestic flights. Still, don’t expect amenities that are typical to busy, international airports.
- Travellers report poor customer service, and significant language barriers. It seems a lot of the airport signage is only in Mandarin.
- Many travellers mentioned that airport staff smoke cigarettes throughout the airport.
- Travellers report that all cafes and eateries close by 10-11pm for the evening.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Head to the restaurant level, one floor below the departures. An escalator near Gates 11/12 will take you down. There are benches without armrests here, and seating is pretty comfortable (Ting, June 2016).
- Lots of travellers congregate in the departure hall near the H and J counters - seating isn’t as comfortable here, though (Traveller, August 2014).
- Expect a lot of travellers spending the night.
- It can be cold and noisy, so come prepared with warm clothes/travel blanket and ear plugs/noise cancelling headphones.
- For uninterrupted sleep, a few hotels are located at or near the airport; ask about airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in several airport lounges; some have showers. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Guangzhou Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Air China Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, Departures Level 3, near Gates A113 - A123. Hours: 6:30AM - 9:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- China Eastern First Class Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, Departures Level 3, near Gates B224 - B235. Hours: 6:30AM - 9:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- First Class Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, Departures Level 3, near Gates B201 - B213. Hours: 6:30AM - 9:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- First Class Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, Departures Level 3, near Gates B214 - B223. Hours: 6:30AM - 9:30PM (Daily).Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Hainan Airlines First Class Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, Departures Level 3, Gates A124 - A133. Hours: 6:30AM - 9:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- International First Class Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Departures Level 3, near near Gate A112. Hours: 6:30AM - 9:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- King Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, Departures Level 3, Gates A124 -133. Hours: 6:30AM - 9:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Premium Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Departures Level 3, near Gates A01 - A06. Showers are available. Hours: 6:30AM - last flight (approx. 2:30AM). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
Free WiFi is accessible from one of 63 hotspots located throughout the terminals. Connect to the “AIRPORT-WIFI-FREE” network.
If sleeping in Guangzhou Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Pullman Guangzhou Baiyun Airport Hotel - (1 minute walk from the airport) This hotel is connected to the airport via walkway from Gate 13 of the Departure Hall. Day rooms are available for stays up to 6 hours from 6:00AM - 8:00PM. Free airport shuttle available.
- Southern Airline Pearl Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle
- Guangsha Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Airport shuttle available
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Guangzhou Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Baggage Trolleys - Available for use from 5:30AM until closing time.
- Business Center - Limited business services, along with free coffee and tea at the Golden Century Business Center. Location: 1/F, Main Terminal Southeast Region Hours: 8:00AM - 9:00PM ▪ Limited business services, express photo and computer with internet access are available at Airport Business Center Location: 3/F, Main Terminal Northwest Region Hours: 8:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available, along with a variety of retail shops and convenience stores.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: KFC (1/F,West Connecting Concourse Arrival W1) ▪ Real Kung Fu Restaurant (1/F,West Connecting Concourse Arrival W2)
- Information Desk - There is an information desk located at the airport. Hours: Not known.
- Massage - Multipoint electronic massage chairs are available for use in the Chen Yi Massage Chair Experience Center. Fee: unknown Locations: 1/F, Main Terminal South of Atrium A01-7 (Hours: 7:30AM - 9:30PM) ▪ 3/F, East Connecting Concourse Lounge E1 A01-6 (Hours: 7:30AM - last flight) ▪ 3/F, West Connecting Concourse Lounge W1 A01-3 (Hours: 7:30AM - last flight) ▪ 3/F, East Connecting Concourse Lounge E3 A01-4 (Hours: 7:30AM - last flight) ▪ 3/F, West Connecting Concourse Lounge W2 A01-2 (Hours: 7:30AM - last flight) ▪ 3/F, West Connecting Concourse Lounge W3 A01-1 (Hours: 7:30AM - last flight) ▪ 3/F, East Connecting Concourse Lounge E2 A01-5 (Hours: 7:30AM - last flight) Oak Tree Leisure Pavilion also offers massage from two locations: 3/F, East Connecting Concourse Lounge E3 A9311 Hours: 6:30AM - 9:50PM.
- Medical Services - Urgent and emergency medical care are available from any of the three locations: East II Building, 2nd floor (Hours: 7:30AM - 9:30PM) ▪ West-bridge Building, 3rd floor (Hours: 7:30AM - 9:30PM) ▪ Main Terminal, 1st floor, Gate 27 (Open 24 hours).
- Movie Theatre - Enjoying Cinema Movie Theatre Location: 1/F, Main Terminal Northeast Region Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00AM.
- Pharmacy - Location: 3/F, West Connecting Concourse Lounge W3 Hours: 7:00AM - 9:30PM.
- Showers - Showers can be found in the Premium Lounge (International Terminal). [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Spa & Salon Services - Foot or body massage, beauty salon services and more are available at Caven Beauty. Location: 1/F, Main Terminal Northeast Region Hours: 8:30AM - 9:30PM
The airport is open 24 hours.
Five Airport Express lines and six direct Airport lines connect Baiyun Airport to the city center, departing in 20 - 30 minute intervals. These buses stop at major hotels, bus and railway stations, and the grand plaza and transportation center. For more information on the different bus lines and schedules, visit the Guangzhou Baiyun Airport website.
Scheduled round-trip intracity bus service links the airport to Dongguan, Foshan, Huizhou, Jiangmen, Nanhai, Qingyuan, Shenzhen, Shunde, Taishan, Wuzhou (Guangxi Province), Yunfu, Zhaoqing, Zhongshan and Zhuhai. Travel times vary, but buses depart on hourly intervals from various gates at the airport’s Arrivals lobby.
Metro / Subway
Guangzhou Metro Line 3 links the airport (via Airport Station South) to the Tianhe District in Guangzhou city center (Tiyu Xilu Station), with several stops along the way, including Guangzhou East Railway Station. Transfers are available at Jia He Wang Gang metro stop to Metro Line 2, offering a connection to Guangzhou Southern Railway Station, served by high-speed intracity trains to and from Wuhan, Zhuhai and other cities. Trains run daily from 6:10AM until 11:00PM at 7.5 minute intervals.
Metered taxis are available for hire, to and from the airport. At the airport, taxi stops can be found in Arrival Area A, outside of Gate A5, and in Arrival Area B, outside of Gate B6.
China Southern Airlines provides free hotel accommodation to passengers with a transfer time of 8 hours or longer in Guangzhou. First, Business and Sky Pearl Gold members will be provided with 4 or 5 star hotel accommodation. While Economy and Premium Economy passengers will receive 4 star hotel accommodation. On arrival at Guangzhou, you should proceed to the Transfer Desk, where an agent will prepare a voucher for you. In addition to the hotel, you will receive breakfast (if applicable) and transportation to/from the hotel. For more info, visit the China Southern web site, call 0086-20-8612 4008 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: 19 September 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.