Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Guangzhou Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I saw a few of the local chinese passengers enter the black flaps where the luggage comes out from. A short while later, they emerged with their luggages, dusted themselves and moved off. – a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport.
What to Expect
Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport consists of a large, modern single terminal with two concourses and six piers. Despite its size, travellers report that there is a relative scarcity of eateries, shops and related services. Eateries close down by about 11:00PM, so plan accordingly if you are staying overnight. WiFi is available, and additional comfort can be found through fee-based access to one of the airport’s many first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
While reviewers have called the airport “boring,” perhaps this is conducive to sleep, as sleeping overnight seems to be rated as generally good, with plenty of comfortable armrest-free seating scattered throughout the terminal. Try the restaurant level one level below the departures area, and the departure hall near the H and J counters. To account for noise and cold temperatures, bring earplugs/noise-cancelling headphones and warm clothes or a travel blanket. Explore our guide to sleeping in Guangzhou Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, there is a 70-room hourly hotel in the airport’s departures hall and other hotels nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
Travellers report that airport staff and travellers tend to smoke cigarettes throughout the terminal, so prepare for the smell of cigarettes. A new terminal is under construction and expected to open imminently.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Guangzhou Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
Inside Airport Hourly Passenger Lounge – Located inside the Terminal, Departures Hall, on B1. This mini-hotel contains 70 guest rooms (12 First Class and 58 Business Class). East guest room has a single or double bed, desk, TV, wifi and battery charging, and drinking water. Facilities include showers and baggage storage. Rates as of February 2017:
» Business Class Room – RMB100/room (8:00AM to 4:00PM) ▪ RMB 240/room (10:00PM to 8:00AM) ▪ RMB300/room (Full day) ▪ RMB20/Hour (8:00AM to 4:00PM) ▪ RMB40/Hour (4:00PM to 8:00AM).
» First Class Room –
RMB 150/room (8:00AM to 4:00PM) ▪ RMB 360/room (Full day) ▪ RMB30/Hour (8:00AM to 4:00PM) ▪ RMB60/Hour (4:00PM to 8:00AM)
At Airport Pullman Guangzhou Baiyun Airport Hotel – (6 minutes from the airport) This hotel is connected to the airport via walkway from Gate 13 of the Departure Hall. Day rooms are available for stays up to 6 hours from 6:00AM – 8:00PM. Free airport shuttle is available upon request (email). » Check Rates
Near Airport Southern Airline Pearl Hotel – (5 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle » Check Rates
Near Airport Guangsha Hotel – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. No further details available. » Check Rates
China Southern Airlines provides free hotel accommodation to passengers with a transfer time of 8 hours or longer in Guangzhou. First, Business and Sky Pearl Gold members will be provided with 4 or 5 star hotel accommodation. While Economy and Premium Economy passengers will receive 4 star hotel accommodation. On arrival at Guangzhou, you should proceed to the Transfer Desk, where an agent will prepare a voucher for you. In addition to the hotel, you will receive breakfast (if applicable) and transportation to/from the hotel. For more info, visit the China Southern web site, call 0086-20-8612 4008 or send email to [email protected] Additionally, if you have access to the China Southern Business Class Lounge, a reviewer mentioned that there are bedrooms available for use. Staff members can provide you with a key.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Guangzhou Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Guangzhou airport for 300 minutes per session. Connect to the “AIRPORT-WIFI-FREE” network. You will need to have mobile phone to receive an access code, or you can scan your passport at any one of the eight self-service WiFi kiosks in order to receive a printout of the code.
A reader (July 2018) tells us that free WiFi is also accessible if you have a WeChat account. The App may also come in handy at places like McDonald’s and is available for Apple and Android users.
- Business Center – Limited business services, along with free coffee and tea at the Golden Century Business Center. Location: 1/F, Main Terminal Southeast Region Hours: 8:30AM – 9:00PM ▪ Limited business services, express photo and computer with internet access are available at Airport Business Center Location: 3/F, Main Terminal Northwest Region Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Post Office – Three locations are available. China Post – 3F (Hours:9:00AM – 6:00PM) ▪ Guangzhou Honor Investment – 3F (Hours:7:00AM – 9:00PM) ▪ SF Express – 1F (8:30AM – 9:00PM).
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Drinking water fountains are available free of charge. Locations: Airside, near the departure gates.
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: KFC (1/F, West Connecting Concourse Arrival W1) ▪ McDonalds (1/F, East Connecting Concourse Arrival E3) ▪ Japan Fusion (1/F, Main Terminal Northeast Region) ▪ Oak Tree (1/F, Main Terminal Northeast Region) ▪ Porcelain Noodles (1/F, Main Terminal South Atrium)
- Information Desk – Four Information Desks are available. Locations: At the F Island, D Island, near No.15 gate (3rd Floor) and No.11 gate (3rd Floor). Hours: Unknown.
- Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Store your luggage in 6 locations. Domestic baggage hall (Gate 16) ▪ International departure hall (Gate 8) ▪ Domestic arrival hall zone B (2 locations) ▪ International arrival hall (2 locations). Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM every day. Self serve lockers are available as well as storage for larger pieces. Prices range depending on size, weight and length of time, starting at 5 RMB (small, 2 hours) up to 55 RMB (large, 24 hours).
- Medical Services – Urgent and emergency medical care are available from any of the three locations: East II Building, 2nd floor (Hours: 7:30AM – 9:30PM) ▪ West-bridge Building, 3rd floor (Hours: 7:30AM – 9:30PM) ▪ Main Terminal, 1st floor, Gate 27 (Open 24 hours).
- Pharmacy – Location: Tong Ren Tang – 3/F, West Connecting Concourse Lounge W3 (Hours: 7:00AM – 9:30PM) ▪ Great Sen Sen – 1/F Main Terminal Northwest Region (Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM) ▪ Drug Hall – 3/F, East Community Concourse Lounge E1 (Hours: 7:00AM – 1:00AM).
- Mobile Charging – There are 58 wireless network multimedia kiosks located Landside where passengers can check flight, airport facilities, etc., which alsoact as charging stations.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs, operated by China Guangfa Bank and Agricultural Bank Of China, are available 24 hours a day. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Location: 3F.
- Currency Exchange – Foreign exchange services are available in several locations. Ice Currency Exchange – 3F (Hours: 6:30AM – 11:00PM) ▪ Guangdong Fanghui Foreign Currency – 3F, East, 2 locations (Hours: 6:00AM – 1:30PM and 7:00AM – 1:00PM) ▪ United Money Currency Exchange – 3F (Hours: 6:30AM – 11:30PM).
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs – Multipoint electronic massage chairs are available for use in the Chen Yi Massage Chair Experience Center. Fee: unknown Locations: 1/F, Main Terminal South of Atrium A01-7 (Hours: 7:30AM – 9:30PM) ▪ 3/F, East Connecting Concourse Lounge E1 A01-6 (Hours: 7:30AM – last flight) ▪ 3/F, West Connecting Concourse Lounge W1 A01-3 (Hours: 7:30AM – last flight) ▪ 3/F, East Connecting Concourse Lounge E3 A01-4 (Hours: 7:30AM – last flight) ▪ 3/F, West Connecting Concourse Lounge W2 A01-2 (Hours: 7:30AM – last flight) ▪ 3/F, West Connecting Concourse Lounge W3 A01-1 (Hours: 7:30AM – last flight) ▪ 3/F, East Connecting Concourse Lounge E2 A01-5 (Hours: 7:30AM – last flight) Oak Tree Leisure Pavilion also offers massage from two locations: 3/F, East Connecting Concourse Lounge E3 A9311 Hours: 6:30AM – 9:50PM.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available, along with a variety of retail shops and convenience stores.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Showers can be found in the Premium Lounge (International Terminal). [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Spa & Salon Services – Foot or body massage, beauty salon services and more are available at two locations. Caven Beauty – 1/F, Main Terminal Northeast Region (Hours: 8:00AM – 9:00PM) ▪ Airport Comfort Leisure Center – 1/F, Main Terminal, Northeast Region (Hours: 8:00AM – 10:00PM).
Things to do & see
- Movie Theatre – Enjoying Cinema Movie Theatre Location: 1/F, Main Terminal Northeast Region Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00AM.
Other Airport Services & Facilities
- Dressing Rooms – After a long flight, you may want to change from your flight clothes to streetwear or business attire. Instead of changing your clothes in the bathroom, there are dressing rooms, that allow you to do so in a nicer environment. Equipped with mirrors, tables, chairs and hooks, you will find changing rooms in the following locations – Terminal East No. 3 gallery ▪ Terminal West No. 3 gallery ▪ Arrival Hall 2F, washrooms.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of May 2019, Guangzhou airport is served by the following airlines: 9 Air • Aeroflot • Air China • Air Madagascar • AirAsia • All Nippon Airways • Asiana Airlines • Bangkok Airways • Beijing Capital Airlines • Cambodia Angkor Air • Cathay Dragon • Cebu Pacific • Chengdu Airlines • China Eastern Airlines • China Southern Airlines • China United Airlines • EgyptAir • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • EVA Air • Finnair • Garuda Indonesia • GX Airlines • Hainan Airlines • Hebei Airlines • IrAero • Japan Airlines • JC International Airlines • Jetstar Pacific • Juneyao Airlines • Kenya Airways • Kunming Airlines • Lanmei Airlines • Lao Airlines • Loong Air • Lucky Air • Mahan Air • Malaysia Airlines • Malindo Air • MIAT • Myanmar • Okay Airways • Oman Air • Pegas Fly • Philippine Airlines • Qatar Airways • RwandAir • S7 Airlines • Saudia • Scoot • Shandong Airlines • Shanghai Airlines • Shenzhen Airlines • Sichuan Airlines • Singapore Airlines • South African Airways • Spring Airlines • SriLankan Airlines • Sriwijaya Airlines • Thai AirAsia • Thai Airways • Thai Lion Air • Thai Smile • Tianjin Airlines • Turkish Airlines • Uni Air • US-Bangla Airlines • Vietnam Airlines • West Air • XiamenAir.
Five Airport Express lines and six direct Airport lines connect Baiyun Airport to the city center, departing in 20 – 30 minute intervals. These buses stop at major hotels, bus and railway stations, and the grand plaza and transportation center.
There are just under 20 scheduled round-trip intercity bus service which link the airport to Dongguan, Foshan, Huizhou, Jiangmen, Shenzhen, Shunde, Taishan, Wuzhou (Guangxi Province) and more. Travel times vary, but buses depart on hourly intervals from various gates at the airport’s Arrivals lobby. Visit the Airport Intercity Bus Ticket Counter for details and tickets.
Guangzhou Metro Line 3 links the airport (via Airport Station South) to the Tianhe District in Guangzhou city center (Tiyu Xilu Station), with several stops along the way, including Guangzhou East Railway Station. Transfers are available at Jia He Wang Gang metro stop to Metro Line 2, offering a connection to Guangzhou Southern Railway Station, served by high-speed intercity trains to and from Wuhan, Zhuhai and other cities.
Metered taxis are available for hire, to and from the airport. At the airport, taxi stops can be found in Arrival Area A, outside of Gate A5, and in Arrival Area B, outside of Gate B6.
Last updated: 2019-05-17
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.