Male Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Male Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I felt safe and wasn't hassled by any of the numerous security/airport staff around. Well lit. Clean bathrooms. - Christopher
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Ibrahim Nasir Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, modern international airport with two separate terminals for domestic and international flights. The facilities are clean and a limited variety of shops and restaurants are available, including 24-hour options!
- Free internet access is available. See Airport WiFi / Internet in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Reviewers who spent the night in this airport describe their overnight stay as quiet, comfortable and safe.
- There is a small waiting area in the domestic departures terminal that has air-conditioning and comfortable couches, or you can opt for one of the benches in the boat taxi area, across from the airport terminal. If you choose to sleep inside of the terminal, have a travel blanket handy, as the air-conditioning is often on full blast!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Malé Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Male airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Moonimaa Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, Landside. Showers are available. Hours: 1 hour prior to the first scheduled flight - last scheduled flight. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£20.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required) • Priority Pass
- Wellness - Location: International Arrival Terminal, Arrivals Hall, Landside. Showers are available. Hours: 8:00AM - 11:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£35.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required) • Priority Pass
WiFi is not available. However, there are free internet kiosks located in Departure Gates 1, 2 and 3 and near the Duty Free area.
If sleeping in Male Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hulhule Island Hotel - (8 min walk or 1 min ride from the airport) - Located on the airport island, adjacent to the airport terminal. A free shuttle bus runs every 15 mins until 4:00PM, first come first served, you may also call the hotel to arrange a pick-up (+960 333 0888). The hotel also offers a variety of day rate packages, for example, $53 USD gets you access to the hotel (NO room) including the swimming pool, shower rooms, a massage (10 min) and free boat and airport transfers.
- Crystal Beach Inn - (10 min from the airport) Free airport transfers are available upon request.
- Hotel UI Inn - (10 min from the airport) Airport pick-up service is available upon request, $7.50 USD each way. Alternatively the hotels suggests the Airport Metro Bus ($1 per person), get off at first stop in Hulhumale, the hotel is within walking distance.
To see more options there is a hotels near Male Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There is one ATM located near the arrival exit gates at the arrival plaza area.
- Baby Care Room - Location: Departure Hall, 1st Floor.
- Baggage Trolleys - Available free of charge.
- Currency Exchange - There are two exchange counters: Arrival Terminal and on the 1st Floor.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Arrival Plaza. Hours: open 24 hours. Rates: US$5 (normal size) - US$ 10 (large size).
- Medical Services - If you require medical attention for a minor health emergency, there is a 24-hour medical center available in the terminal.
- Pharmacy - Yes, open during regular flight times. Cash only.
- Post Office - Yes
- Prayer Room - Location: Departure Terminal, first floor. There are two air-conditioned mosques located 5-10 minutes walking distance from the terminal.
- Showers - There are free showers. Location: next to the coffee shop (we are not sure if that is before or after security). There are also showers in the Wellness lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ].
- Smoking - There is a smoking lounge located on the 1st floor of the departure pier, near the duty free.
- Wellness Center - Head to the Wellness Center providing services such as classic massage treatments, nail & beauty services. The center is also equipped with two internet workstations, two shower rooms with amenities and seated massages. Location: In the center of Departure Arrival Plaza. Hours and rates are not known.
Information not available
As Ibrahim Nasir International Airport is located on its own island, passengers can only travel to and from the airport via aircraft or water vessel. Dhonis, or local ferry boats, transport passengers between the airport and the capital city of Male within 10 minutes. Speedboats and hotel resort safari vessels are also available, and can travel between the airport and Male in 3 minutes. Passengers can also travel by seaplane via Trans Maldivian Airways or Maldivian Air Taxi. Domestic flights, via Maldivian or Fly Me, are available between Ibrahim Nasir International Airport and the other eight airports, both international and domestic, that belong to Maldives.
Last Updated: 07 January 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.