Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Male Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I felt safe and wasn’t hassled by any of the numerous security/airport staff around. Well lit. Clean bathrooms. – Christopher
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Ibrahim Nasir Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, modern international airport with two separate terminals for domestic and international flights. The facilities are clean and a limited variety of shops and restaurants are available, including 24-hour options!
- Free internet access is available. See Airport WiFi / Internet in the airport guide below.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- Reviewers who spent the night in this airport describe their overnight stay as quiet, comfortable and safe.
- There is a small waiting area in the domestic departures terminal that has air-conditioning and comfortable couches, or you can opt for one of the benches in the boat taxi area, across from the airport terminal. If you choose to sleep inside of the terminal, have a travel blanket handy, as the air-conditioning is often on full blast!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Wellness Lounge – Location: International Arrival Terminal, Arrivals Hall, Landside. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Male Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hulhule Island Hotel – (8 minute walk or 1 minute drive from the airport) – Located on the airport island, adjacent to the airport terminal. A free shuttle bus runs every 15 mins until 4:00PM, first come first served, you may also call the hotel to arrange a pick-up (+960 333 0888). The hotel also offers a variety of day rate packages, for example, $53 USD gets you access to the hotel (NO room) including the swimming pool, shower rooms, a massage (10 min) and free boat and airport transfers. » Check Rates
- Crystal Beach Inn – (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport transfers are available upon request. » Check Rates
- Hotel UI Inn – (10 minutes from the airport) Airport pick-up service is available upon request, $7.50 USD each way. Alternatively the hotels suggests the Airport Metro Bus ($1 per person), get off at first stop in Hulhumale, the hotel is within walking distance. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a hotels near Male Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
WiFi is not available at Male Airport. However internet kiosks are available to use, free of charge, near the Duty Free Area and departure gates 1, 2 and 3.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Location: near the arrival exit gates at the arrival plaza area.
Baby Care Facilities – Feed and care for your baby in the comfort and privacy of the Mother Care Room. Location: Departures Hall, 1st Floor. Visit the Information Counter to request access.
Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge.
Currency Exchange – Two locations: Duty Free Area, opposite Dome Cafe • Arrivals area, left of the terminal exit door.
Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, we are unable to confirm the availability of any 24-hour dining options.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Luggage storage is available for a small fee. Location: Baggage Storage Service office, in front of the Terminal Help desk. Rates: One small piece for $6.00USD or one odd/oversized piece for $12.00USD. Rates apply for 24 hours or part thereof.
Luggage Wrapping – Available landside in the Check-in area for $8 USD/small bag, $10 USD/normal bag and $20USD/oversized.
Medical Services – Urgent and emergency medical care is available at the First Aid Post. Hours: Open 24 hours.
Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Pharmacy – Location: Outside of the First Aid Post, or near the Bank of Maldives ATM. Hours: Open according to daily flight schedule.
Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards or packages at the airport’s Post Office. Location: Departure Hall entrance. Hours: 6:00AM – 1:00AM or until the last flight of the day.
Prayer Room – Location: Departure Terminal, 1st Floor. There are two air-conditioned mosques located 5-10 minutes walking distance from the terminal.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Shopping – Spices, confections, liquor, tobacco, perfumes, and more are available for purchase from the airport’s shops. Duty-free shopping is available.
Showers – Free showers are available in the Departures area, opposite Mariyaadu snack counter. There are also showers in the Wellness lounge and Moonimaa Lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ].
Smoking – There is a smoking lounge located on the 1st floor of the departure pier, near the duty free.
Wellness Center – Head to the Wellness Center providing services such as classic massage treatments, nail & beauty services. The center is also equipped with two internet workstations, two shower rooms with amenities and seated massages. Location: In the center of Departure Arrival Plaza. Hours and rates are not known.
While it appears that this airport closes for a few hours at night, as of this update, we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. If you know the airport hours, click here to update this airport guide.
As of January 2019, Male airport is served by the following airlines: Aeroflot •Air India • AirAsia Swiss • Bangkok Airways • Beijing Capital • Cathay Pacific • China Eastern Airlines • China Southern Airlines • Condor • Emirates • Etihad Airways • Flyme • GoAir • IndiGo • Korean Air • Lanmei Airlines • Maldivian • Oman Air • Qatar Airways • Saudi • Scoot • SilkAir • Singapore Airlines • SpiceJet • SriLankan Airlines • Thai AirAsia • Turkish Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
As Ibrahim Nasir International Airport is located on its own island, passengers can only travel to and from the airport via aircraft or water vessel. Dhonis, or local ferry boats, transport passengers between the airport and the capital city of Male within 10 minutes. Speedboats and hotel resort safari vessels are also available, and can travel between the airport and Male in 3 minutes. Passengers can also travel by seaplane via Trans Maldivian Airways or Maldivian Air Taxi. Domestic flights, via Maldivian or Fly Me, are available between Ibrahim Nasir International Airport and the other eight airports, both international and domestic, that belong to Maldives.
Last updated: 2019-01-04
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.