Penang Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Penang Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I enquired with the airport security police himself, who said 'You can sleep here happily , Sir!!'
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Penang International Airport.
What to Expect
- A modern and busy single-terminal international airport with clean and user-friendly facilities, friendly staff, and a wide variety of shops and restaurants.
- WiFi is available. See Airport WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Although no specific sleeping spot was mentioned, reviewers described their overnight stays as comfortable and hassle-free. Rows of armrest-free seating are available, and if you have a sleep mask, earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones, and a travel blanket, you will really have a good night’s rest!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Penang Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Penang airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Location: Domestic Departures, Airside. Showers are available ($). Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from MYR168 - 258) • Book Online (£23.00 - up to 3 hours or £35 - up to 6 hours - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Location: International Departure Terminal, Airside, Mezzanine Level. 5:00AM - 11:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from MYR168 - 258) • Book Online (£23.00 - up to 3 hours or £35 - up to 6 hours - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
WiFi is available at Penang Airport. At the time of this update, we do not know if the service is free.
If sleeping in Penang Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- DR Hotel Penang - (5 min from the airport) A budget hotel near the airport. No airport shuttle available.
- Hotel EST - (5 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Hotel Equatorial Penang - (15 min from the airport) Free scheduled airport shuttle runs from 5:00AM to 7:00PM (hotel to airport) and 8:30AM to 7:30PM (airport pick-up). At the airport the meeting point is at Gate 6 (outside Arrival Hall). Cross over to the 2nd lane for shuttle pick up once outside.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotel deals in Penang on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes, available
- Currency Exchange - Yes, available
- Food & Drinks - There are restaurants and coffee shops available however it is not known if any are open 24 hours.
- Information Desk - Yes, available in the public area on the 1st Floor.
- Pharmacy - Yes, exact location and hours are not known.
- Shopping - Duty Free is available along with a variety of other shops.
- Showers - Showers can be found in the Plaza Premium lounge located in the Domestic Terminal. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
Information not available
- Car Rentals - Avis • Hertz • Europcar • Auto Europe.
- Public Transportation - Unknown
- Taxis - Yes
Last Updated: 11 January 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.