Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Penang Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I enquired with the airport security police himself, who said ‘You can sleep here happily , Sir!!’ – ryanraghu
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Penang International Airport.
What to Expect
- A modern and busy single-terminal international airport with clean and user-friendly facilities, friendly staff, and a wide variety of shops and restaurants.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- Although no specific sleeping spot was mentioned, reviewers described their overnight stays as comfortable and hassle-free. Rows of armrest-free seating are available, and if you have a sleep mask, earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones, and a travel blanket, you will really have a good night’s rest!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic) – Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside. Showers are available ($). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (International) – Location: International Terminal, Airside, Mezzanine Level. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Penang Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- DR Hotel Penang – (5 minutes from the airport) A budget hotel near the airport. No airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Hotel EST – (5 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Hotel Equatorial Penang – (15 minutes from the airport) Free scheduled airport shuttle runs from 5:00AM to 7:00PM (hotel to airport) and 8:30AM to 7:30PM (airport pick-up). At the airport the meeting point is at Gate 6 (outside Arrival Hall). Cross over to the 2nd lane for shuttle pick up once outside. » Check Rates
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotel deals in Penang on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Penang Airport. Connect to the “@airportfreewifi”network.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Levels 1 and 2.
Currency Exchange – Foreign exchange services are available.
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free is available along with a variety of other shops.
Family Services – If you are travelling with small children, these services may be of interest to you:
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Location: Domestic Departures, Airside, B7.
- Baby Care Facilities – A dedicated baby room is available in the Public Concourse, Level 2, behind the McDonald’s.
Food & Drinks – There are restaurants and coffee shops available during flight operational hours. At the time of this update, we did not have any information regarding the availability of any 24 hour restaurants.
Information Desk – Need help finding your way? An information desk is available in the public area on the 1st Floor. Airport CARE Ambassadors can also be seen throughout the airport. Look for the “Ask me” sash.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Massage Chairs – Rest N’Go offers coin operated massage chairs at 8 different locations throughout the airport.
Medical Services – The Menara Medical Clinic provides services. Location: Arrival Concourse, Level 1. Hours: Unknown.
Mobile Charging – Charging stations (counter height with multiple charging points) are available in both the Domestic and International departure areas.
Pharmacy – Yes
Prayer Rooms – 4 Muslim prayer rooms are available. Locations: Domestic Departure • International Departure • Arrivals • VIP Room.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Showers can be found Level 2 in the CIC Washroom. It is not known if there is a fee to use the shower. Bring your own shower supplies! Showers can be found in the Plaza Premium lounge located in the Domestic Terminal. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
Smoking – Smoking is permitted in designated smoking rooms in both terminals (departures area).
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of January 2019, Penang airport is served by the following airlines: AirAsia • Cathay Dragon • China Airlines • China Southern Airlines • Citilink • Firefly • Indonesia Air Asia • Jetstar Asia • Lion Air • Lucky Air • Malaysia Airlines • Malindo Air • Qatar Airways• Scoot • Shenzhen Airlines • SilkAir • Sriwijaya Air • Thai AirAsia • Thai Smile.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The airport is connected to the city via the public bus system. Buses can be found outside of the Airrivals Concourse, Curbside Lane 3, Level 1.
There is a variety of rental agencies onsite, some of which are: Europcar • Hawk Rent a Car • New Bob Rent a Car • Vagabond.
Taxis at the airport use a coupon system. The charges are fixed based on the desired destinations. Obtain a coupon from the counter located on Level 1, Arrivals Concourse.
Last updated: 2019-02-05
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.