Rio de Janeiro Galeão Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Rio de Janeiro Galeão Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
guards came round shaking people and saying 'no sleeping'! We were allowed to sit all night, as long as we didn't fall asleep.... - Alex
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Rio de Janeiro Galeão Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport comprises two terminals, T1 and T2, located next to each other and connected.
- Renovations may be going on to update the facilities.
- The airport is fairly old and its facilities and amenities reflect that, though bathrooms are clean.
- Travellers report that security are tolerant of overnight guests.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Head towards T1’s food court - travellers have reported couch-like spots to sleep.
- Most travellers don’t recommend sleeping here as it’s very cold at night, with little seating; the seating that does exist is metal with armrests. The floor is generally not carpeted.
- For uninterrupted sleep, two hotels are located at the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travellers can buy entry to several airport lounges, two have shower facilities. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Rio de Janeiro Galeão Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Rio de Janiero airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Proair VIP Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, 2nd Floor. Hours: 6:00AM - 2:00AM (Daily).
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, GOL-Smiles VIP Room. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59) • Admirals Club Membership.
- Smiles VIP International Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, 2nd floor. Showers are available. Hours: 6:00AM - 3:00AM (Daily). Lounge Access: to be advised.
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, International Departures, Airside, 3rd Floor, South Pier. Showers are available. Hours: 5:00AM - 2:00AM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (240BRL 2 hours or 340BRL - 5 hours) • Book Online (£57.00 - 3 hours or £81.00 - up to 6 hours - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Domestic Departures, Airside, 1st Floor, Mezzanine Floor. Showers are available. Hours: 5:00AM - 2:00AM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (160BRL 2 hours) • Book Online (£48.00 - 3 hours or £73.00 - up to 6 hours - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Arrivals Area, Landside, Car Park Building, Level 1. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£48.00 - 3 hours or £73.00 - up to 6 hours - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Proair VIP Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Basement Level. Showers are available. Hours: 6:00AM - 12:00AM (Daily).
- GOL Premium Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, 2nd Floor. Hours: 6:00AM - 3:00AM (Daily).
Free WiFi is available at Galeao Airport for 60 minutes. Connect to the ”RIO GALEAO Wi Fi” network.
If sleeping in Rio de Janeiro Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Aerotel - coming soon - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Level 3, South Pier. This hotel will be located in the transit area.
- Rio Aeroporto Hotel - Located on the 3rd Floor of the terminal (landside). Day rooms are available 8:00AM to 8:00PM (from 3 hour stays).
- Linx Hotel International Airport Galeao - Located adjacent to the airport terminal. This hotel offers a free airport shuttle service that runs to/from the airport every 20 minutes betweenthe hours 5:00AM - 12:00AM. Look for the hotel's white van by Gate B.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Galeão Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available in Terminal 1 (3rd floor Food Court) and Terminal 2 (2nd floor landside and airside).
- Banking - Santander Bank, Caixa Econômica Federal and Itaú Bank are available onsite Location: Terminal 2, 2nd floor.
- Beauty Salon - Spanorâmico, Terminal 1, First Floor. Hours: Not known.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - There are six currency exchange counters. Four are located in Terminal 1, while the other two are in Terminal 2.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is available as well as a small selection of shops to pass the time.
- Family Services - Comfortable armchairs, diaper-changing tables, bath tubs and other facilities for infant and child care are available at one of four airport nurseries. Locations: (T1, Domestic Departures, 2nd floor)(T2, Arrivals, 1st floor)(T2, Domestic Departures, 3rd floor)(T2, International Departures, 3rd floor) Hours: Open 24 hours. For children age 2 years old and younger, parents can rent a stroller for use in the airport, free of charge. Must fill out a form and present valid photo ID at one of the Information Desks.
- Food & Drinks - There are food and beverages concessions available in both Terminals at the airport. At the time of this update it is not known if there are any that are open 24 hours.
- Information Desk - Locations: T1 (1st and 2nd floors) and T2 (1st and 3rd floors), Departures and Arrivals Hours: 6:00AM - 12:00AM
- Luggage Storage and Lockers - Malex left luggage storage is available in Terminal 1, on the 2nd floor.
- Medical Services - Yes, provided at the Medical Center. Location and hours are not known.
- Mobile Charging - A reader informed that there are mobile charging towers "everywhere".
- Pharmacy - Air Farma Drugstore - Location: Terminal 2, 2nd floor. Hours: unknown.
- Post Office - Location: T1, Arrivals lounge, 1st floor
- Prayer Room - Location: Terminal 1, 3rd Floor. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM every day. Catholic and Evangelistic Services are offered throughout the week.
- Showers - Showers are available in a few of the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
There are four lines, offered by the Real Auto Bus that travels directly to and from the Airport. For a complete run down on schedules, costs and companies operating the routes, visit the Rio Galeão web site.
The Rapid Transport by bus (BRT) is a fast travel alternative for users. It makes quick travel an option by utilizing exclusive travel lanes through traffic.
The line TransCarioca Express connects the Alvorada Terminal, located in Barra da Tijuca, straight to RIOgaleão, with one stop in Oak Vicente subway station. There is also the TransCarioca line which stops along the route.
The BRT system can be picked up at two locations. One, Galeão - Tom Jobim Station 1 located outside the arrivals area in Terminal 1, gate H. Two, Galeão - Tom Jobim Station 2 located outside the arrivals area in Terminal 2, gate D.
For hours, schedules, routes and fares, visit the Rio Galeão web site.
The Oak Vicente subway is tied in with the BRT (The Rapid Bus Transport) and provides direct access to RIOgaleão. When you leave the airport, you will need to take an express bus to connect to the subway station.
For hours of operation, schedules, fares and locations, visit the Rio Galeão web site.
Expressways provide easy and quick access for Taxi services to Rio Galeão Airport. They can be picked up at Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 arrivals. Routes include:
- Center: Presidente Vargas/Red Line to Governor's Island to Road Galleon. Time, 30 mins
- South Zone: Tunnel Rebouças/Red Line to Governor's Island to Road Galleon. Time, 31 mins
- North Zone: Yellow Line via Dom Helder Camara to Governor's Island to Road Galleon. Time, 20 mins
- Barra da Tijuca: Avenue of the Americas by Avenue Ayrton Senna, Yellow Line to Governor's Island, Road Galleon. Time, 28 mins
The following car rental companies are available at Galeão Airpor: Avis (Terminal 1, Arrivals and Terminal 2, Arrivals) • Hertz (Terminal 1, Arrivals and Terminal 2, Arrivals) • Thrifty (Terminal 2, Arrivals).
- Bus - Real Auto Bus offers four bus routes to/from the airport. For information on schedules, rates and companies operating the routes, visit the Galeão airport web site.
- BRT - The Rapid Transport by bus (BRT) is a fast travel alternative for travellers. The line TransCarioca Express connects the Alvorada Terminal, located in Barra da Tijuca, straight to Rio Galeão, with one stop in Oak Vicente subway station. There is also the TransCarioca line which stops along the route. Location: Galeão Terminal 1, Door H and Galeão Terminal 2, Ddoor D. Hours of operation: 24 hours, Monday to Sunday.
- Metro - The Vicente de Carvalho subway station is integrated with the BRT with a direct path to Galeão Airport. It operates Monday-Saturday: 5:00PM to midnight; Sundays/holidays: 7:00AM - 11:00PM. A pass costs R$3.50
Taxis operate on Red Line and Yellow Lines. The routes include:
- Center: Presidente Vargas/Red Line to Governor's Island to Road Galleon. Time: 30 mins
- South Zone: Tunnel Rebouças/Red Line to Governor's Island to Road Galleon. Time: 31 mins
- North Zone: Yellow Line via Dom Helder Camara to Governor's Island to Road Galleon. Time: 20 mins
- Barra da Tijuca: Avenue of the Americas by Avenue Ayrton Senna, Yellow Line to Governor's Island, Road Galleon. Time: 28 mins
Taxis are found on the Arrivals level of Terminals 1 and 2.
Last Updated: 11 September 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.