San Jose Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our San Jose Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
We asked several employees where the chapel was and they looked at us like we were crazy to think there was a chapel in the airport. - Suzanne & Brian
"I arrived arond 1am in the morning and there were no buses to San Jose that late. Being nearly broke, taxi was not an option so I asked the security guards whether there was a place I could sleep for a couple of hours. One of them told me to go upstairs to the departures. The entance is via the ramp on the side of the multy-stroy carpark. If one of the bridges/overpasses is closed, try the other one because one of them stays open all night. There are plenty of places to sleep once you get upstairs (even some chairs without armrests) and a cafe that is open 24h. Supposedly the have wifi as well.
Staff was nice and nobody bothered me or my fellow sleepers during the night."
Have you been to San Jose Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at San Jose airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- VIP Lounge Costa Rica - Location: Airside, 1st Floor, Gate 12. Hours: 500am - 800pm. Lounge Access: Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
Free WiFi is available at San Jose Airport. Connect to the “CR_Airport_Free” Network.
If sleeping in San Jose Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport - (2 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle available 24-hr per day
- Holiday Inn Express San Jose Costa Rica Airport - (1 mile from the airport) Free airport shuttle available 24-hr per day
- Courtyard by Marriott San Jose Airport Alajuela- (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle available 24-hr per day
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near San Jose Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs - ATMs are located in the main lobby, in baggage claim and beside gates 2 and 6. In the lobby, there is also a BAC branch where withdrawals can be made in colones, US Dollars and Euros.
- Currency Exchange – Global Exchange has an office landside in the main hall, Arrivals Area, Ground Floor and airside between Gates 5 and 6.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free shops are located airside, near gates 3, 5 and 9. There are additionally other airside shops selling jewelry and beauty products. The only landside shop is Britt Shop, which sells small souvenirs.
- Food & Drink - At the time of writing, no 24-hour options are available. The only landside options are a café (Lavazza) and Malinche. All other options are located airside, either near the gates or in the central food court.
- Family Services – unknown.
- Information desk – unknown.
- Luggage Carts – unknown.
- Luggage Porter – Sky Cap provides a porter service.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – unknown.
- Luggage Wrapping – Sky Cap operates a baggage wrapping service in the check in hall.
- Mobile Charging – unknown.
- Pharmacy – unknown.
- Prayer Rooms – unknown
- Rest Zones – unknown
- Massage – Massage booths are available
- Showers – unknown
- Smoking Area – unknown.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - available before and after security.
- Car Rentals - Alamo • Budget • Dollar • Economy • Hertz . Location: Arrivals.
- Currency Exchange - Information not available
- Food & Drinks - There is a 24-hour food concessions available: Lavazza (mezzanine, landside)
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Showers - not available
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
- Car Rentals
Car rentals are available in the main terminal from the following companies: Alamo • National • Budget • Hertz • Dollar.
- Public Transportation
- Local Bus: A bus stop is located less than a block away from the terminal exit. Here, you can catch a bus traveling to downtown Alajuela, downtown Heredia and downtown San Jose. If you are traveling to the airport, you must let the driver know you wish to get off at the terminal.
- Regional Bus: Most busses traveling from Guanacaste and Puntarenas will make a stop at the airport on the way into town. However, if you wish to go from the airport to these beaches, you must catch a bus from downtown San Jose.
Available 24 hours.
The airport is open 24 hours.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at San Jose Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
San Jose Travel Resources
- San Jose Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 11 May 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.