San Salvador Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our San Salvador Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Wow, El Salvador International Airport is the biggest, modern and beautiful airport of all Central America. - Finn
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Monseñor Óscar Arnulfo Romero International Airport.
What to Expect
- A modern and ever-expanding single-terminal international airport with clean facilities, efficient airport procedures and several good shops and restaurants. Try the Pollo Campero (fried chicken), a local favorite!
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Overnight stays are only allowed in the main hallway, but reviewers describe their overnight experience as safe and secure. With the lack of bench seating, you most likely will have to sleep on the floor. Have a sleeping bag or travel mat handy for added comfort!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our San Salvador Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at San Salvador airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Aeroconnections VIP Lounge - Location: Airside, near Gate 5. Showers are available. Hours: 6:00AM - 7:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (approx. US$25-35).
- Avianca Sala VIP - Location: Airside, near Gate 8. Showers are available. Hours: 6:30AM - 8:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$28).
Free unlimited wifi is available at San Salvador Airport.
If sleeping in San Salvador Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Quality Hotel Real Aeropuerto - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle
- Pato Canales Hotel and Resort - (5 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near San Salvador Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Location: landside, near customs.
- Banking - According to a reader: "There is (at least used to be) bank teller just shy of immigration… do remember that US$ is the currency of legal tender. On the land side there are a couple of bank tellers (by the ATM)
- Car Rentals - Location: landside, across from customs.
- Currency Exchange - See banking information above.
- Duty Free & Shopping - There is no designated duty free shop, but there are a number of stores selling souvenirs, travel accessories etc.
- Food & Drinks - According to a reader: "Although there is not a food court/plaza there are a number of small restaurants with a large variety of food both in the air and land sides.
- Information Desk - Location: Landside, Arrivals Hall.
- Showers - Showers are available in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
Information not available.
Terminal Quick Tips
- overnight sleepers are restricted to one gate area in an non-air-conditioned section of the airport.
Last Updated: 08 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.