San Salvador Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our San Salvador Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Wow, El Salvador International Airport is the biggest, modern and beautiful airport of all Central America.
"i took one of spirit airlines super cheap latin american flights that get you into the airports at really awkward times, like 1:30am in this instance. buses dont run at that time and the main part of the airport was closed, so i walked around to the front entrance where there were a couple security guards at a desk.
i asked them if there was anywhere i could nap for a few hours until buses started in the morning. they checked me out very carefully, asked me where i was coming from, where i was going and what was i doing in el salvador. they checked my passport, ran my bag through a metal detector and then told me that the main airport was closed but there was an empty hallway behind them that i could sleep in.
it was floor sleeping only, so not the most comfortable, but it was dark so i did sleep fairly good. and i definitely felt safe, the security guards there do their jobs."
Have you been to San Salvador Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at San Salvador airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Aeroconnections VIP Lounge - Location: near Gate 5. Showers are available. Hours: 6am - 7pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (approx. US$25-35) • Priority Pass.
- Taca Salones VIP - Location: Airside, near Gate 8. Showers are available. Hours: 630am - 8pm. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
WiFi is available at San Salvador Airport near the gates (airside).
If sleeping in San Salvador Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Quality Hotel Real Aeropuerto - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle
- Pato Canales Hotel and Resort - (5 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near San Salvador Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Location: landside, near customs.
- Banking - According to a reader: "There is (at least used to be) bank teller just shy of immigration… do remember that US$ is the currency of legal tender. On the land side there are a couple of bank tellers (by the ATM)
- Car Rentals - Location: landside, across from customs. You can compare car rental rates on the Auto Europe web site.
- Currency Exchange - See banking information above.
- Duty Free & Shopping - There is no designated duty free shop, but there are a number of stores selling souvenirs, travel accessories etc.
- Food & Drinks -
According to a reader: "Although there is not a food court/plaza there are a number of small restaurants with a large variety of food both in the air and land sides.
- Information Desk - Location: Landside, Arrivals Hall.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Information not available
- Showers - Showers are available in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
Terminal Quick Tips
- overnight sleepers are restricted to one gate area in an non-air-conditioned section of the airport
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at San Salvador Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 11 May 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.