Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our San Salvador Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Wow, El Salvador International Airport is the biggest, modern and beautiful airport of all Central America. – Finn
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Monseñor Óscar Arnulfo Romero International Airport.
What to Expect
- A modern and ever-expanding single-terminal international airport with clean facilities, efficient airport procedures and several good shops and restaurants. Try the Pollo Campero (fried chicken), a local favorite!
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- Overnight stays are only allowed in the main hallway, but reviewers describe their overnight experience as safe and secure. With the lack of bench seating, you most likely will have to sleep on the floor. Have a sleeping bag or travel mat handy for added comfort!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Avianca Sala VIP – Location: Airside, near Gate 8. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
- Aeroconnections VIP Lounge – Location: Airside, after Security Checks and Immigration, in front of Gate 5. Lounge Access: Lounge passes. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in San Salvador Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Quality Hotel Real Aeropuerto – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs daily, every 30 minutes between 5:00AM and 11:00PM. » Check Rates
- Pato Canales Hotel and Resort – (5 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near San Salvador Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free unlimited wifi is available at San Salvador Airport.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Location: Landside, near customs.
Banking – According to a reader: “There is (at least used to be) bank teller just shy of immigration… do remember that US$ is the currency of legal tender. On the land side there are a couple of bank tellers (by the ATM)
Currency Exchange – See banking information above.
Duty Free & Shopping – There is no designated duty free shop, but there are a number of stores selling souvenirs, travel accessories etc.
Food & Drinks – According to a reader: “Although there is not a food court/plaza there are a number of small restaurants with a large variety of food both in the air and land sides.
Information Desk – Location: Landside, Arrivals Hall.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Showers are available in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of February 2019, San Salvador airport is served by the following airlines: Aeromexico • American Airlines • Avianca • Copa Airlines • Delta • Iberia • Interjet • Spirit Airlines • Transportes Aéreos de El Salvador • Transportes Aéreos Guatemaltecos • United Airlines • Volaris.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Travel like the locals do! Local bus 138 links the airport to downtown San Salvador, stopping along the route to pick up and drop off passengers. Total one-way trip time can take up to an hour, but costs under $1 USD. Ideal for travelers looking to save a few pennies. There is also a connection to Comalapa (bus 133) from the airport.
Car rentals are available at the airport in the arrivals area. At the time of this January 2018 update, no further information is available.
If your load is light, you can travel at a fraction of the price of a taxi by taking a “colectivo” (shared-ride minibus) between the airport and city center. You can find a colectivo in the ground transportation area of the airport.
Taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport.
Last updated: 2019-02-15
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.