São Paulo Guarulhos Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Guarulhos Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The cleaning staff was LOUD and not respectful to us or other sleepers. Boo to them!
by a traveller
October 2014 - I have been to many airports, all over the world including India and rural China but my vote for worst airport goes to Sao Paolo, Brazil. Ironically this airport is like something out of the movie Brazil, ducting everywhere, corridors that lead to nowhere, no personnel anywhere, no shops open during the night(nor restaurants)and rows of plastic bucket seats that make stretching out for a nap impossible. For a major hub with thousands of transfers hourly, it is strangely quiet after hours. There is nowhere to change money so that you could buy food if there were some open restaurants. To fly from any where in South America to anywhere in Europe a lengthy stopover is usually required, Montevideo to Frankfurt - 30 hours including at least six in SP. For the same price one can buy a direct flight from Montevideo to Paris or Madrid - I would rather take a 10 hour direct flight than a thirty hour flight for a hundred dollars less. Maybe if more people did that they would cease these awful endless stopovers in airport hell.
Have you been to São Paulo Guarulhos Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at São Paulo Guarulhos airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Proair VIP Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, 2nd Floor. Lounge Access: unknown
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Wing D, Mezzanine Level. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50) • Priority Pass • Admiral's Club Membership.
- Smiles VIP Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Wing C, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
- Proair VIP Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Executive Lounge GRU Airport - Location: Terminal 3, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: 7:00AM - 12:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Lounge Access: Book Online (£29.00) • Priority Pass.
- Star Alliance Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Mezzanine Level, above the Duty Free Shopping Area. Showers are available. Hours: 12:00PM - 3:00AM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
Free WiFi is available at São Paulo Guarulhos Airport. Connect to the “GRU WIFI” Network.
If sleeping in São Paulo Guarulhos Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Slaviero Fast Sleep - Sleep cabins come equipped with a bunk bed, bathroom, TV, A/C, electrical outlets, and free WIFI. Available for rent by the hour or blocks of time. Rates start at R$ 89,00 +5% ISS. Located in the International Wing (2nd floor, middle of the hallway the connects Terminals 1 and 2) and Terminal 2, National Wing, ground floor near Arrivals.
- Tryp by Wyndham São Paulo Guarulhos Airport - This new transit hotel is located inside the boarding area of Terminal 3 on the 1st Floor. All rooms have unlimited free WiFi. Family rooms and "Fitness" rooms with an exercise bike are also available. Hourly rates are available. Inquire at the front desk.
- Pullman Sao Paulo International Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service runs every 20 minutes from 6:00AM to 11:40PM. Airport shuttle picks up from Arrivals Hall 1, 2, and 3.
- Matiz Hotel Aeroporto Guarulhos - (6 min from the airport) Free 24-hr scheduled airport shuttle service. Airport shuttle picks up from Arrivals Floor, D-Wing, Terminal 2.
- Sao Paulo Airport Marriott Hotel - (7 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service runs every 30 minutes from 6:00AM to Midnight. Airport shuttle picks up from Terminals 1, 2, and 3.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Guarulhos Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Bancos Bradesco • Itaú • Rede Banco 24 Horas • Unibanco • HSBC • Santander - Location: Landside, Arrivals Hall (Terminal 1/ 2). Caixa Econômica Federal - Location: Landside, Terminal 2, Mezzanine Level, C Wing. Banco do Brasil - Location: Landside, Terminal 1, Departures, B Wing.
- Currency Exchange - Cotação – Câmbio, Change, Exchange - Location: Landside, Departures 1/ 2, Arrivals 2, Mezzanine 1 / 2 - Charges: Between 10/Rs - 20 /Rs. Hours: open 24 hours. Confidence Câmbio - Location: Landside, Arrivals Hall 1/ 2. Hours: open 24 hours. American Express – Foreign Exchange - Location: Location: Landside, Departures Hall, A Wing. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Food & Drinks - There are 24-hour food options located in Terminal 2 (landside): McDonalds (Check-In Area D) and Pizza Hut (Check-In Area C)
- Information Desk - Location: Landside, Arrivals • Departures Hall, Terminal 1 / 2, Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Malex - Location: Landside, Arrivals Hall - Hours: Open 24 hours
- Pharmacy - There is a pharmacy located In Terminal 1, Check-In Area B. For more serious medical issues, the medical offices are located in Terminals 1 and 2 on the Mezzannine Level (landside).
- Showers - Showers are available in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
The following car rental companies are available at Guarulhos Airport: Movida • Localiza • Hertz • Avis • Budget.
Buses depart from Guarulhos airport to Congonhas Airport, Republic Square, Tietê Bus Terminal, Barra Funda Bus Terminal, Itaim Bibi, Paulista / Augusta Hotels Circuit and Tatuapé Metro Station. For routes, schedules and fares, visit the EMTU web site.
The metro station nearest the airport is Tietê (Line 1 – Blue). There, passengers must use buses to get to the airport. Other stations that have direct connection by bus to the airport include: Barra Funda (Line 3 – Red); República (Line 3 – Red) and Tatuapé (Line 3 – Red).
Guarucoop is the exclusive taxi operator from the airport. They offer fixed rates according to the area of the city you are travelling to.
Last Updated: 11 May 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.