São Paulo Guarulhos Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Guarulhos Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The cleaning staff was LOUD and not respectful to us or other sleepers. Boo to them!
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Rio de Janeiro Galeão Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport has three terminals, T1, T2, and T3. T1 is the smallest, operating only direct flights, and connected to T2 and T3 by shuttle bus. T2 is the largest, and is connected to the new, modern T3 by walkway. T2 houses regional and Latin American destinations, and T3 is home to longer-haul international flights.
- Other than T3, the airport is fairly old and its facilities and amenities reflect that.
- Many travellers felt that the airport is poorly laid out, with a lot of confusing hallways.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Most travellers reported very few seating areas to spend the night - most are benches with armrests, though it sounds like T3 might be a little bit more comfortable.
- Travellers report that airport staff generally don’t mind overnight guests. However, there might be safety concerns as one traveller reports seeing groups of young non-travellers hanging around the airport. Stay alert! (Oct 2016)
- Try the chairs at Starbucks.
- The floor has little or no carpeting, so bring something soft if you plan on crashing on it.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a transit hotel and sleep cabins inside the airport as well as several nearby hotels that provide airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travellers can buy entry to several airport lounges; some have shower facilities. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our São Paulo Guarulhos Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at São Paulo Guarulhos airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Proair VIP Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, 2nd Floor. to be advised
- GOL Premium Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, International Departures. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£35.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- GRU Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, International Departures. Hours: open 24 hours.
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Wing D, Mezzanine Level. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59) • Admirals Club Membership.
- Smiles VIP Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Wing C, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Proair VIP Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Executive Lounge GRU Airport - Location: Terminal 3, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: 7:00AM - 12:00PM (Daily).
- Star Alliance Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Mezzanine Level, above the Duty Free Shopping Area. Showers are available. Hours: 12:00PM - 3:00AM (Daily).
Free WiFi is available at São Paulo Guarulhos Airport. Connect to the “GRU WIFI” Network.
If sleeping in São Paulo Guarulhos Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Slaviero Fast Sleep - Sleep cabins come equipped with a bunk bed, bathroom, TV, A/C, electrical outlets, and free WIFI. Available for rent by the hour or blocks of time. Rates start at R$ 89,00 +5% ISS. Located in the International Wing (2nd floor, middle of the hallway the connects Terminals 1 and 2) and Terminal 2, National Wing, ground floor near Arrivals.
- Tryp by Wyndham São Paulo Guarulhos Airport - This new transit hotel is located inside the boarding area of Terminal 3 on the 1st Floor. All rooms have unlimited free WiFi. Family rooms and "Fitness" rooms with an exercise bike are also available. Hourly rates are available. Inquire at the front desk.
- Pullman Sao Paulo International Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service runs every 20 minutes from 6:00AM to 11:40PM. Airport shuttle picks up from Arrivals Hall 1, 2, and 3.
- Matiz Hotel Aeroporto Guarulhos - (6 min from the airport) Free 24-hr scheduled airport shuttle service. Airport shuttle picks up from Arrivals Floor, D-Wing, Terminal 2.
- Sao Paulo Airport Marriott Hotel - (7 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service runs every 30 minutes from 6:00AM to Midnight. Airport shuttle picks up from Terminals 1, 2, and 3.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Guarulhos Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Bancos Bradesco • Itaú • Rede Banco 24 Horas • Unibanco • HSBC • Santander - Location: Landside, Arrivals Hall (Terminal 1/ 2). Caixa Econômica Federal - Location: Landside, Terminal 2, Mezzanine Level, C Wing. Banco do Brasil - Location: Landside, Terminal 1, Departures, B Wing.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below
- Currency Exchange - There are 8 different currency exchange offices available, some of which provide services 24 hours a day.
- Duty Free & Shopping - A wide variety of shops are available, including a 24-hour bookstore and 24-hour convenience store.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- T2 Departures: 365 Deli • BC Express • Espaço Árabe • Montana Express • Toujours • Viena Snacks
- T2 Arrivals: Kopenhagen • Public Cafe
- T3 Departures: 365 Deli • Casa do Pão de Queijo • Piola • Viena Snacks
- T3 Arrivals: Casa do Pão de Queijo • Viena Snacks
- T3 Mezzanine: Arabia Express • Baked Potato • Kopenhagen • Mr. Pretzels • Pizza Hut
- Information Desk - Location: Landside, Arrivals • Departures Hall, Terminal 1 / 2, Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Malex do Brasil lockers are available. - Location: T2 and T3, Arrivals - Hours: Open 24 hours
- Massage - Clínica Oriental offers massage. Location: T3, Departures Hours: 11:00AM - 11:30PM.
- Pharmacy - Droga Raia Location: T3, Mezzanine Hours: Open 24 hours. For more serious medical issues, the medical offices are located in Terminals 1 and 2 on the Mezzanine Level (landside).
- Post Office - Correios Location: T2, Departures Hours: 9:00AM - 7:00PM (Mon-Fri), 9:00AM - 1:00PM (Sat).
- Seamstress - Repair those rips, tears and missing buttons at Ophicina de Costura. Location: T3, Mezzanine Hours: 10:00AM - 10:00PM
- Showers - Showers are available in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Spa & Salon Services - Manicures, pedicures and more at Hands ‘N Feet Location: T3, Mezzanine (Hours: 7:00AM - 11:00PM). Clínica Oriental offers massage. Location: T3, Departures (Hours: 11:00AM - 11:30PM) • Styllus Hair Salon Location: T2, Mezzanine (Hours: 7:00AM - 11:00PM).
The airport is open 24 hours.
The following car rental companies are available at Guarulhos Airport: Movida • Localiza • Hertz • Avis • Budget.
Buses depart from Guarulhos airport to Congonhas Airport, Republic Square, Tietê Bus Terminal, Barra Funda Bus Terminal, Itaim Bibi, Paulista / Augusta Hotels Circuit and Tatuapé Metro Station. For routes, schedules and fares, visit the EMTU web site.
The metro station nearest the airport is Tietê (Line 1 – Blue). There, passengers must use buses to get to the airport. Other stations that have direct connection by bus to the airport include: Barra Funda (Line 3 – Red); República (Line 3 – Red) and Tatuapé (Line 3 – Red).
Guarucoop is the exclusive taxi operator from the airport. They offer fixed rates according to the area of the city you are travelling to.
Last Updated: 11 September 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.