São Paulo Guarulhos Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Guarulhos Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The cleaning staff was LOUD and not respectful to us or other sleepers. Boo to them!
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Rio de Janeiro Galeão Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport has three terminals, T1, T2, and T3. T1 is the smallest, operating only direct flights, and connected to T2 and T3 by shuttle bus. T2 is the largest, and is connected to the new, modern T3 by walkway. T2 houses regional and Latin American destinations, and T3 is home to longer-haul international flights.
- Other than T3, the airport is fairly old and its facilities and amenities reflect that.
- Many travellers felt that the airport is poorly laid out, with a lot of confusing hallways.
- Travellers report feeling safe and that airport staff generally don’t mind overnight guests.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Most travellers reported very few seating areas to spend the night - most are benches with armrests, though it sounds like T3 might be a little bit more comfortable.
- Try the chairs at Starbucks.
- The floor has little or no carpeting, so bring something soft if you plan on crashing on it.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a transit hotel and sleep cabins inside the airport as well as several nearby hotels that provide airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travellers can buy entry to several airport lounges; some have shower facilities. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our São Paulo Guarulhos Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at São Paulo Guarulhos airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Proair VIP Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, 2nd Floor. to be advised
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Wing D, Mezzanine Level. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- Smiles VIP Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Wing C, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£25.00).
- Proair VIP Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Executive Lounge GRU Airport - Location: Terminal 3, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: 7:00AM - 12:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Lounge Access: Book Online (£29.00).
- Star Alliance Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Mezzanine Level, above the Duty Free Shopping Area. Showers are available. Hours: 12:00PM - 3:00AM (Daily).
Free WiFi is available at São Paulo Guarulhos Airport. Connect to the “GRU WIFI” Network.
If sleeping in São Paulo Guarulhos Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Slaviero Fast Sleep - Sleep cabins come equipped with a bunk bed, bathroom, TV, A/C, electrical outlets, and free WIFI. Available for rent by the hour or blocks of time. Rates start at R$ 89,00 +5% ISS. Located in the International Wing (2nd floor, middle of the hallway the connects Terminals 1 and 2) and Terminal 2, National Wing, ground floor near Arrivals.
- Tryp by Wyndham São Paulo Guarulhos Airport - This new transit hotel is located inside the boarding area of Terminal 3 on the 1st Floor. All rooms have unlimited free WiFi. Family rooms and "Fitness" rooms with an exercise bike are also available. Hourly rates are available. Inquire at the front desk.
- Pullman Sao Paulo International Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service runs every 20 minutes from 6:00AM to 11:40PM. Airport shuttle picks up from Arrivals Hall 1, 2, and 3.
- Matiz Hotel Aeroporto Guarulhos - (6 min from the airport) Free 24-hr scheduled airport shuttle service. Airport shuttle picks up from Arrivals Floor, D-Wing, Terminal 2.
- Sao Paulo Airport Marriott Hotel - (7 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service runs every 30 minutes from 6:00AM to Midnight. Airport shuttle picks up from Terminals 1, 2, and 3.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Guarulhos Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Bancos Bradesco • Itaú • Rede Banco 24 Horas • Unibanco • HSBC • Santander - Location: Landside, Arrivals Hall (Terminal 1/ 2). Caixa Econômica Federal - Location: Landside, Terminal 2, Mezzanine Level, C Wing. Banco do Brasil - Location: Landside, Terminal 1, Departures, B Wing.
- Currency Exchange - There are 8 different currency exchange offices available, some of which provide services 24 hours a day.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is available as well as a good selection of shops, some of which are open 24 hours a day including the AeroMix Convenience Shop located Landside, First Floor.
- Food & Drinks - There are 50 + food concessions at the airport of which a small selection are open 24 hours day. Kopenhagen • Mr. Pretzels • 365 Deli • Bob’s • McDonald’s • Pizza Hut • Rei de Mate • Vienna Snacks • Arabia Express • Montana Grill.
- Information Desk - Location: Landside, Arrivals • Departures Hall, Terminal 1 / 2, Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Malex - Location: Landside, Arrivals Hall - Hours: Open 24 hours
- Pharmacy - There is a pharmacy located In Terminal 1, Check-In Area B. For more serious medical issues, the medical offices are located in Terminals 1 and 2 on the Mezzannine Level (landside).
- Showers - Showers are available in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
The following car rental companies are available at Guarulhos Airport: Movida • Localiza • Hertz • Avis • Budget.
Buses depart from Guarulhos airport to Congonhas Airport, Republic Square, Tietê Bus Terminal, Barra Funda Bus Terminal, Itaim Bibi, Paulista / Augusta Hotels Circuit and Tatuapé Metro Station. For routes, schedules and fares, visit the EMTU web site.
The metro station nearest the airport is Tietê (Line 1 – Blue). There, passengers must use buses to get to the airport. Other stations that have direct connection by bus to the airport include: Barra Funda (Line 3 – Red); República (Line 3 – Red) and Tatuapé (Line 3 – Red).
Guarucoop is the exclusive taxi operator from the airport. They offer fixed rates according to the area of the city you are travelling to.
Last Updated: 17 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.