Varadero Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Varadero Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The problem with Varadero airport is that the influx of tourists has vastly outgrown the size of the airport. - a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Juan Gualberto Gómez Airport.
What to Expect
- A small single-terminal international airport with a variety of shopping and dining options.
- Long, slow lines at security checkpoints
- Staff is friendly, but there may be a possible language barrier. Knowledge of Spanish is helpful here!
- Mobility-impaired travelers may have a hard time getting around in this airport, as there are no elevators in this two-story airport.
- The air-conditioning keeps the terminal positively polar inside, so have a sweater or travel blanket handy to keep warm!
- There are reports of theft by airport security checkpoint staff.
Where to Sleep
- Although no specific sleeping spot was mentioned, one reviewer who spent the night in this airport described the stay as uneventful and safe, but suggests having a sleeping bag or travel mat and blanket handy for added comfort and warmth while sleeping on the floor. Write a review to help future travelers.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Varadero Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- VIP Lounge - Location: airside. Hours: unknown. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (20 CUC).
At the time of this update WiFi is not available at Varadero Airport.
If sleeping in Varadero Airport does not appeal to you, it is best to head back into the city center or the resort you have been staying at, as there are no hotels near the airport. Here are some Varadero hotel suggestions based on Tripadvisor reviews:
- Hotel Los Delfines - (25 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Casa de Mary Y Angel - (25 min from the airport) Airport transfers available via taxi service from either airport in Varadero or Havana ($).
- Beny’s House - (30 min from the airport) Airport transfers available via taxi service from either airport in Varadero or Havana ($).
- Hostal El Villareno - (30 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Varadero Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Car Rentals - Yes
- Childrens Play Area - A small children’s play area can be found airside.
- Currency Exchange - Yes (landside and airside)
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is available as well as a small selection of shops selling souvenir type items, note these are all located Airside.
- Food & Drinks - Landside offers a snack bar and a cafeteria while Airside you will find a cafeteria, 2 snack bars and a coffee shop. Note, there are no 24 hour operators.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Not available
- Medical Services - There is a First Aid Station. Location: unknown.
- Pharmacy - A small drug store can be found airside.
- Smoking - There is a designated smoking section located airside.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Information not available.
Last Updated: 11 September 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.